I found this online - and it sounded so good to me I had to share!
This is the original site:
Blueberry French Toast Casserole - adapted from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow-Cooker Cookbook (I'm going to have to look for that book!!)
1 T butter
1/2 c. soft cream cheese (from a tub) (light of course)
8 slices of stale bread, crusts removed (I'm thinking WW bread here)
1 1/2 c. wild blueberries
8 eggs, beaten
2 cups light cream
1 cup Splenda
2 t vanilla
3/4 t cinnamon
- Grease the crock pot with the butter & leave the excess in the crock
- Spread cream cheese onto one side of the bread slices. Place the bread, cream cheese side down, into the crock.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the bread.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture over the bread and berries in the crock. The bread will start to float up. Gently press the bread down into the egg mixture. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and then press the bread down again.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. The casserole will be “poofed” and slightly browned on the edges when done.
These were extra notes from the original author:
My extras & prep notes:
- I toasted the bread in the toaster oven to make it stale.
- I didn’t have light cream on hand so I used half heavy cream and half skim milk.
- I topped it all off with more cinnamon before putting the lid on the crock.
- I served this with lemon curd and maple syrup as possible toppers.
- Artisan Mom has baked this in the oven (assemble it in a baking dish the night before & refrigerate overnight; bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes).
Sounds good to me!!