3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds > Cooking Tips and Questions

Share your cooking tips

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #76
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

I have a 64 page book on vinegar that I'll share here now and then, that is if I remember. Maybe I'll not delete the email notice so I won't forget.
Fruits and Vegetables
When cooking fruit on the stovetop, add a spoonful of vinegar to improve flavor.
When making mashed potatoes, add 1 tablespoon vinegar once you've used enough milk. This will help keep potatoes white. Whip them to desired consistency.
In a tomato sauce or a tomato-base soup, add 1 or 2 tablespoons vinegar just before completing the cooking process. Flavors will be enhanced.
Meat
Add zip to a pound of hamburger by adding garlic wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon mustard. Work these ingredients into meat before making into patties.
Improve the flavor of boiled ham by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to cooking water.
The acid content and tangy flavor of vinegar makes it an excellent ingredient in a marinade for meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables. Vinegar can also tenderize tough cuts of meat.
More to come!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #77

always keep vegitables in newspaper wrap.they will stay fresh longer.
sak133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #78
Jonah

S/C/G: 440/Ticker/220

Height: 5" 11

Anybody want to restart this?

When cooking rice,
Use a 1cup rice : 1/2 cup water ratio.

Add a bit of salt to the rice and cook the rice with a lid covering it.
As soon as the rice gets to a boil, simply turn the heat to off or very low on your stove top. after about 15 minutes, the rice should come out fluffy and just right.

(note: this for white rice, brown rice takes longer and may have a different water ratio)
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #79
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

wow, it's been a couple of years. I'd like to share more tips. I have since slipped into frugal mode and would like some frugal tips. One I use all the time is keeping the heavy plastic liners from cereal boxes until it's time to freeze garden produce. They are the perfect size, just squeeze the air out, roll up the top and staple it. Then in the freezer it goes.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.