Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default What do you do with egg yolks?

I often make omlettes with 1 full egg and 2 additional egg whites, which leaves me 2 egg yolks left over. I hate waste, and you can't get an egg without yolk in it, but I don't really have any use for those yolks. I have a husband and daughter who are both natural string-beans so they can have them, but not sure what to put them into. Do you just throw them out?
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I used to buy those egg whites in a carton but discovered it was cheaper to use real eggs and just throw out the yolks or give them to the dogs. It may be the same on your side of the pond.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also throw them out (when I don't eat them). It used to bother me, but I decided it balanced out because I'm pretty frugal about using every bit of food that doesn't have to be thrown away, especially anything that can be turned into soup stock (which is just about anything), or can be made over (I tend to make-over rather than simply reheat leftovers. Leftover meatloaf is cubed and made into meatballs. Leftover roast is made into barbecue or soup...).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-03-2010 at 08:38 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

eat them. They're full of protein and good fat, esp. if you buy the cage-free eggs. And, there's no link between eating eggs -- including the yolks -- and elevated cholesterol.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

I agree. Eat them. They're not that many calories and they're chock full of nutrients.

If you just can't do that, give them to the dog.
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #6  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Darnit, looks like I'm gonna have to get a dog.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #7  

I do eat more egg yolks since eating lower carb, but I still throw some away. I follow an exchange plan, so I can have 1 egg or 3 egg whites for each protein exchange. I usually use 1 or 2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites. I like the lighter texture (but don't like egg white only omelettes).
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4''

trash. Liquid egg beaters are way more expensive and even with only eating 1 yolk per 2 whites I don't eat a full carton of eggs before they go bad.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #9  

You could use raw egg yolks as a conditioning rinse for your hair.

Dogs love 'em ... I used to give my son two hard-boiled eggs every morning to eat on the bus to school. The bus stop was by a house with a fenced-in yard with two excitable, barky dogs. One day, I realized that the dogs never barked before. I then found out they stopped barking because every morning, he would toss each one of them a cooked egg yolk. LOL

Last edited by Hyacinth; 11-03-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #10  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

if you are into baking, there's a ton of recipes that specifically ask for egg yolks. custard, pudding(vanilla pudding is actually really easy to make on the stove), lots of cakes, pies, and so on ask for yolks in the recipe. if you can make it without eating it all (lol, definitely a problem for me) you could make your family's favorite baked item. probably, if you make something they like, but you don't, it will be easier to not eat it.

and as others have said, it has lots of vitamins in it. it's healthy to eat the yolk some of the time. i think it even has iron? not sure. has B vitamins, that's really good, and many others.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #11  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I throw them away. If my calorie allotment for the day allows me to eat an additional egg yolk or two then I will. Otherwise down the sink they go. I do buy the Walmart brand of Eggbeaters. I like the taste and can make a huge plate of eggs and veggies for very little calories and hardly any fat. I get plenty of healthy fat from other sources.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/220/150

Are egg yolks really that fattening? I love eggs and I always eat the whole thing. If I eat healthy, unprocessed foods all day is an egg yolk or two really going to ruin my weight loss efforts?
Ewiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #13  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

toss em!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiemama View Post
Are egg yolks really that fattening? I love eggs and I always eat the whole thing. If I eat healthy, unprocessed foods all day is an egg yolk or two really going to ruin my weight loss efforts?
No single serving of any food is going to "ruin" your weight loss efforts.

Calories (or whatever you count: exchanges, points, points, fat grams....) are like cash, you have to budget for your needs and wants.

About 80% of an egg's calories are in the yolk, but that doesn't mean egg yolks are "that fattening," it just means that (as with your cash) you have to decide how or whether to fit egg yolks into your budget.

You get to choose and manage your budget. There is no right answer, just the "right-for-you" answer (and it may not be the same answer every day).

As I said in my earlier post. One whole egg has about the same calorie count (and less fat) than three egg whites.

The reason I choose to throw away some yolks is because I can get a bigger omelette for the calories if I substitute 3 egg whites for a whole egg. Three egg whites take up more space, and are more filling than a single yolk. A two egg, three egg white omelette is bigger than a three egg omelette. A 9 egg white omelette would be the same calories but would be HUGE!

I've never made a 9 eggwhite omelette before, but I have made 1 egg/6 egg white omelelttes before. It has the same calories as a 3 egg omelette, but it's a lot more filling than a 3 egg omelette. When I first started dieting, I was used to eating so much that I had to get as much "bang for the buck" as possible. I ate the lowest calorie, highest volume foods so I could feel full.

That meant a lot of raw vegetables and low-calorie foods, and finding ways to add volume, without adding calories. Substituting egg whites for egg yolks was one of the ways to do that. I'd also add lots of low-calorie fillers to make the omelette even bigger.

Sometimes I'd even whip the egg whites and fold in the egg yolk. It makes almost a mini-soufle type omelette. The resulting omelette looks much bigger. Anything that made me feel like I was getting more food (even if it was a mind-game trick - like using smaller plates) was an advantage.

Now that I'm used to much smaller portions, I don't have to work as hard at creating more volume, but I still do often throw away a few of the yolks just so I can have a bigger omelette for the calories.

It's a personal choice.