Replace shortening in recipe

• I know this has probably been asked more than once, but I usually don't have luck with the Search feature.

I have the best Banana Bread recipe that I already use whole wheat flour in and would love to "healthy it up" even more! It calls for butter flavor Crisco. Could I completely replace that with applesauce?? I don't really want to try pumpkin. I know I could (maybe) just use canola oil or something like that (even exchange on amounts?), but wondered if applesauce might lend an interesting flavor to the bread.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
  • Yes! Use applesauce! I use applesauce to replace any oil called for in recipes, and it works just fine! I actually made banana bread using applesauce recently, and it turned out great!
    I use applesauce in cakes and breads whenever I can. You just substitute the applesauce for the same amount of oil it calls for. 1 cup of oil = 1 cup of applesauce, etc.
    I cannot tell any taste difference when using applesauce. It still tastes the same!
  • yeah, but oil and applesauce have a similar consistancy, will the results be the same with crisco? Shortening is more a paste than a liquid... I'd like to know too!