Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Recipe Substitutions Help

I have a recipe that I want to modify, but I'm not sure how to. Cooking is not my forte. So, here's the list.

I want to substitute agave nectar for the sugar. Is there a coversion chart somewhere I can look at? And would I need to add extra volume, like I do when substituting stevia for sugar?

I have some organic yogurt that says it can be substituted for cream. The recipe calls for heavy cream. Can I use the yogurt? If so, how do I use it? The cream has to be brought to a boil. Not sure you can boil yogurt.

Also, how the heck do you scorch sugar? I tried and it was NOT working.
Thanks!
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  
it's always something

I use agave nectar instead of sugar unless it's a baked product. I use it tablespoon for tablespoon. I don't think I'd try it in a baked product because it can change the texture of the final product. That probably wasn't much help, lol.

Sometimes there aren't any clear rules for substitutions and it comes down to trial and error. I think your yogurt for cream substitution might fall in that category. I'd thin it to the consistency of cream, but I have horrible visions of a curdled mess. I'd probably just buy organic cream and play it safe.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #3  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

I think if you explained the recipe or the ingredient list or, better yet, posted the recipe it would be easier to help.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #4  
Free-thinker

Creme Brulee Cheesecake

AP flour - 3 Tbs
Heavy Cream - 1 cup
Vanilla Bean, split - 1/2 each
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Cream Cheese, soften - 1 lb
Egg yolk, beaten - 6 each

Bring cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla to a boil. Mix cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar. Remove vanilla bean. Add yolks and flour. Pour over pie crust. Bake.

That's the recipe in a nutshell.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #5  

Honestly- without the enormous amount of fat in the cream I do not think you are going to be able to use the recipe. I would google for low fat creme brulee cheesecake and go from there. It will be a totally different prep. Creme brulee generally implies that the sugar on top has been run under a broiler or heated with a blowtorch (not kidding here) to melt and carmelize it (scorch). The substitute sweeteners will not do that.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #6  
it's always something

I agree with tommy, this recipe isn't going to work with substitutions.

However, your suggestion of yogurt may be as close as you'll get. I found a creme brulee yogurt recipe that is a far cry from what you've requested, but might help curb a craving with much fewer calories.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/va...remebrulee.htm
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

For future reference though, in baked goods you can sub out agave for sugar, but it's not an equal exchange, it's a tad less agave than sugar (about 3/4 the amount) to keep a decent dry to liquid ratio.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote