Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 445/232/210

Height: 5'8

Default yogurt cheese or how to figure out calories when you drain yogurt at home

I love Greek yogurt but how it's over $4 for a pint of it. So what I do (not quite the same) is buy a cheaper quart of yogurt, drain it overnight in a colander lined with a clean kitchen towel. delish! just one problem. how do I figure out the calories for my yogurt cheese? I start with 4 cups and end up with 2 cups. Each cup of my (undrained) yogurt has 140 calories. So does that mean now each drained yogurt cheese cup has 280 since I reduced and concentrated the amount?
dumplingtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The whey which you drain away has calories. I'm not sure how to calculate the calories though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I love yogurt cheese! According to the people who wrote the YoChee book, yogurt cheese made from nonfat yogurt is 85 calories for 1/2 cup. Here's an on-line FAQ from them:
http://www.healthyhighways.com/yochee_faq.shtml
I have the book and it has some fun recipes.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I've never tried this, but it sounds really good and healthy !
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

can you use a paper towels instead of a dish cloth ........... and will a regular colander work ? I love sour cream and want to try this in place of it. Would it also work as a replacement for ricotta cheese in pasta dishes and lasagna or use half this and half ricotta mixture ? I am new to all this healthier eating and and a little over whelmed at all the info I have found here ... just trying to take it all in ...........
mysweetiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/183/145

Height: 5"4

You could use it to replace so many things, for sure sour cream and any cheese. It's so yummy! I found out about it in Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet books. She gives you step by step instructions.
You just have to make sure you're not straining yogurt that has gelatin in it or it won't work. (Believe me, I learned that the hard way!)

I wouldn't use paper towels to drain though; you might get little pieces of it stuck in the yogurt cheese! If you can't find/don't have cheesecloth, use a coffee filter (maybe double it up) instead. That will work well!
mandymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

Ooo, I've never heard of yogurt cheese. I have to try that. I've just started making homemade paneer (unfermented cheese from milk). Can't wait to add this to my repertoire.
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #8  

Default Making yogurt cheese

I am a lover of yogurt cheese. There are a few different kinds of yogurt cheese makers available and most come with lids to keep refrigerator odors out of your yogurt. They range from $7 to $24.
Ipooka is offline   Reply With Quote