Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #16  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

This isn't a side dish, it's a main dish, but it uses a lot of green beans and it is fabulous.

Spicy Green Beans with Sausage
  • 16 oz turkey sausage
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 16 oz green beans
  • 10 oz carrots (or an additional 16 oz green beans, if you really like beans)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh sage
  • 1/4 tsp chile flakes or crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
  • 16 oz tomato sauce

Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Remove casings from sausage and add to skillet. Saute until browned.

Add olive oil, beans and carrots to skillet and saute until just tender.

Add garlic, sage, and chile flakes and saute a few minutes more.

Add white wine and chicken broth, scraping up an browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the wine and broth evaporates almost entirely.

Add tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until beans reach desired tenderness.

This makes 4 servings at about 300 calories each.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-25-2008 at 03:33 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #17  

My family loves green beens. When I cook them I sometimes add a sprinkling of fat free Olive Oil based italian dressing. Recently I tried the new Kraft Olive Oil based Sun dried tomato vinegarette and everyone loved them.

Our favorite though it is not as healthy as the recipe above is to dice up onions and saute the green beens with the onions and a smigit of soy sauce and sesame oil. This is my favorite way to cook them.

I also will use flavored vinegars to spice them up a bit depending on what entree I am serving them with.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #18  

bluetoblue that sounds like a good recipe. I haven't had green beans in a little while so I may have to put something together.
littlelilly is offline   Reply With Quote