Masking the taste of egg whites in a smoothie

• I'm admittedly not a very experienced cook. Yesterday I tried to make myself a smoothie with three apricots, a cup of milk, 3/4 of a cup of egg whites and about two cups of ice. Well, actually, I initially tried this with a banana instead of apricots, but the taste of banana and egg whites together tasted a little bit like I imagine garbage would, so I tried again with the apricots. I could drink it, but there was still an unpleasant sort of aftertaste. I'd like to keep the option of using egg whites open, since the main reason I tried this was that I'm having trouble getting enough protein in my diet.

Have you ever tried to incorporate egg whites into smoothies? How do you minimize that taste?
  • Oh, I am sorry, but the very idea makes me so queasy!

Why not cook them if you must eat them?

Sorry, not much help. I can't imagine it tasting good or having a good texture.
  • 3/4 of a cup of egg whites is a LOT of egg whites compared to the other ingredients. Generally if I make a smoothie with egg whites I add ONE. Maybe two if I'm mixing with other dense, flavor rich ingredients.

But honestly I'm not a big fan of raw egg whites. I am not terribly concerned about salmonella ... mostly I can't wrap my mind around the sliminess of egg whites.

If you want the protein, add plain yogurt, or cottage cheese, or even a scoop of whey protein powder instead.

• Also not a raw egg white fan. You can buy powdered egg whites, but I've never used them as they're more expensive than seperating fresh eggs. But I only use egg whites in omelettes and scrambled eggs (I use one whole egg and 2 to 4 egg whites).

I would suggest trying the egg white powder or other protein powders (and you might have to try a few to find one you like).
  • I'm with everyone else on this It sounds very unappetizing, and it's also not safe.

If you go to a vitamin or sports nutrition store such as Vitamin Shop, you can buy powdered egg whites as recommended by some body builders and used in smoothies. You might also consider a whey protein mix. You can combine a scoop in a fruit smoothie and most taste very good. Some brands also sell trial size packets so you can experiment until you find the one you like.
  • Hi Impala - It sounds like what you are after is a higher protein smoothie. You could skip the egg whites altogether and use a scoop of whey protein (or other kind) powder - vanilla - to add protein in your diet and not have to worry about the taste or danger of raw eggs.
  • Eeeh, I'm with the rest of the group. I don't think I could handle my smoothie with raw egg white. I use yogurt and whey protein powder, but you could also use cottage cheese (I don't care for the saltiness cottage cheese adds personally).
  • You should definitely look into some protein powders. There are some that are even made out of the protein from egg whites... but the ones I see most often are made from whey or soy.

There are so many options out there that you can get pretty much anything you want if you look hard enough -- a powder with no artifical sweeteners, or with hardly any carbs, or that dissolves easily, or unflavored, fruit flavored, etc.