Cooking Oatmeal with Soy Milk

• Hello,

I made steel-cut oatmeal for the first time today, and even though I had the burner as low as possible for the simmering stage, the light soy milk I used kept skinning over.

Is that normal? What am I doing wrong? Should I just make the oatmeal with water and add milk afterward?

Thanks for any tips!
  • I've never cooked oatmeal in anything but water. Steel cut oats take a lot longer to cook, so you'd probably want to use water. You might try half water and half milk. I prefer almond milk over soy milk, and I'll bet that would add a nice flavor to the oats
  • Thanks! I'll try that in the a.m.
  • I use half soy milk and half water and as long as I have my eye on the pot I can keep it from boiling over.
  • I usually cook it with almond milk in the rice cooker. You can add a little salt to help it from boiling over.
  • I cook mine with water (5 days worth), then before I reheat in the microwave, I add some soy milk.
  • Thanks for asking this question (fellow yoyo )
    I usually cook steel cut with half water and half milk (of any kind) but just bought some Quaker quick oats that are supposed to be microwaveable - was wondering the same thing. Think I'll try the half water/half soy milk thing before I go all soy.
  • I love vanilla soymilk in oatmeal.
  • Quote: I love vanilla soymilk in oatmeal.
    Me too! I find no need for any extra sweetener with vanilla soy milk. The sugar in the milk is plenty for the cereal. whoda thunk it?
  • Quote: Me too! I find no need for any extra sweetener with vanilla soy milk. The sugar in the milk is plenty for the cereal. whoda thunk it?
    Not terribly surprising - Silk Vanilla has 11g sugar. One tablespoon of sugar has 12.6g. My plain soymilk has 2g carb (not counting the fiber), and I don't think all those 2g are sugar (Silk Vanilla has 16g carb, 1g fiber and 11g sugar, so 4g nonsugar carb).