Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #1  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Could I use this as a Pizza stone?

We have what's called a 'raclette', essentially, a 14" x 14" piece of granite, 1/2" thick, heated by an element underneath, on which you can cook meat and veggies at the table. There are also little trays that you can place under the element to gratinee items if you wish. It's sort of like a fondue experience.

Anyway, we want to try making our own pizza dough/crusts and I just read about pizza stones. This piece of granite is smooth and has been seasoned by multiple uses. It must be pre-heated before use, and this can be done by placing it in a cold oven and pre-heating it, like a pizza stone.

I have never used a pizza stone before, but am wondering if this piece of granite would work as one? Any thoughts, anyone?
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Generally pizza stones are made out of a more porous material than granite, so the heat conduction might be different. That doesn't mean the granite wouldn't work, but the cooking time might be different. I think it would still be an improvement over a cookie sheet or the oven rack though, as the granite, like the pizza stone, would provide a more even heat.

I say, try it.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-11-2008 at 06:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

IM not sure if the granite would work or not...but i do know that i couldnt live without my pizza stone. I also have alot of other stone peices from pampered chef.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Are you thinking of using it tabletop? I think it wouldn't work because you wouldn't have the heat around the rest of the pizza as you would in a closed oven. The crust would be nice and toasty and the cheese wouldn't be melted.

Perhaps you're thinking of using it in the oven? As long as it's ok to put it in the oven to preheat it, I think it could work. You may want to experiment for a meal where you have a backup if it doesn't turn out.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the input, folks.

Yes, we're going to try using it in the oven. Tonight, in fact! So I'll post to let you all know how it turned out.
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote