3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds > Cooking Tips and Questions

Favorite Kitchen Gadgets ??... I'm changing up my kitchen

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #16

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I go by the Alton Brown rule - never buy something that you use only for one task, unless that task is nearly daily for you.
I knew there was a reason I liked you mandalinn! I am a big AB fan and I subscribe completely to his idea that everything in your kitchen should multitask.

These are a couple of larger ticket things, but they're invaluable to me:

Toaster oven I bake a lot of things and for my husband and I (or just for me) it makes more sense to bake in a toaster oven, than to heat up the whole big oven. Mine is just big enough that I can roast a chicken in it, or cook a small frozen pizza for DH, or put the square pyrex baking pan in it (for baked rice). I bake fish in it at least 2x a week and roast veggies at least that often as well. I have used my big oven maybe 5 times all year.

George Foreman Grill I buy boneless skinless chicken breasts at Sam's club, marinade them in light italian dressing or a homemade teryaki mix and then grill 5 or 6 of them at a time (in 2 batches). They're great hot off the grill for dinner and I refrigerate or freeze the rest to use in salads, pasta, rice, etc. for lunches and dinners on nights I don't want to cook. It's also great for pork chops, hamburger patties when it's too cold to grill out, and a handful of other things. I also have used the grill to make homemade panini type sandwiches with whole grain pita and lean turkey or ham. Yummy.

I'll also second the microplane grater and a good knife. I also like and use the Global knives. I have a friend's house where I actually refused to cook unless she bought better knives - bad knives aren't only annoying, they're actively dangerous!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.