Frozen fish?

• Trader Joe's has some frozen fish fillets and whatnot. I haven't looked at them too closely.

Do you just thaw them, and cook them normal when they're thawed? Can you start with them frozen? I cook my hamburgers on the grill already frozen and it works out okay. I'm just not sure about the fish.
  • I generally take them out of the freezer the night before and thaw them in the refrigerator with a little marinade. I'd probably look on the package to see if they suggest keeping it frozen until cooked.
  • We freeze fish all the time. To defrost, we leave the fillets in the ziplock bags we've frozen them in, and just soak them in cold water for an hour or less. Definitely don't start cooking them while they're frozen--I think that would really mess with the texture.
  • I get Trader Joe's frozen lightly breaded halibut. I just pop the frozen fillets right into the toaster oven, no thawing first, and they seem to come out great.
  • I bought a big bag of frozen tilapia fillets (wayyy cheaper than fresh)... the bag actually recommended cooking them from frozen, unless you're using them in a recipe where it would mess with the cooking time, in which case thaw them in the 'fridge or in cold water. I've cooked them both ways, frozen and thawed, and they came out well both times.