3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds > Cooking Tips and Questions

Favourite Cookbook(s)?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #16

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I like Cooking Light magazine. I have a Weight Watchers cook book that I like and the Joy of Cooking - not low cal, but interesting, nontheless.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 300|ticker|160

Height: 5'6

My 2 most used cookbooks are:

How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food . We got this as a wedding gift 9 years ago and I've used it soooo much. There are recipes for almost everything - just like the title suggests.

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
While I don't "agree" with everything this author says - she's a little militant when it comes to her views, there are some GREAT recipes in here.

I use www.allrecipes.com ALL the time though. I search for recipes and then make adjustments that will work for me.

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." -M Thatcher

Mini Goals: √ 5% Weight Loss (285)|10% Weight Loss (260)| No longer morbidly obese (245)

Last edited by Nori71 : 12-02-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Company's Coming - Low Fat Cooking

It has everything in it (Meals, snacks, appetizers and desserts)\

http://www.companyscoming.com/index....d=1&vpnu=CCLFC

(it's cheaper if you buy it at Wal*Mart)

Last edited by tamaralynn : 12-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #19

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

~Moosewood Restaurants Low-Fat Recipes (not a Molly Katzen book~it's from the co-op that she helped start though and it has nutritional info)

~Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson (101cookbooks.com is her website)

~More with Less Cookbook and Extending the World Table (a lot of authentic healthy ethnic recipes)

~All of Nigella Lawson's cookbooks (not necessarily healthy I'll admit, but they are great fun and the recipes all work)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #20

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

The Sara Foster books that are written with Nancy Careno. Not a diet book, but a fresh food book. The recipes are easy to tweak into more diet friendly food.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #21

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

My favorites:
- The Hamptons Diet Cookbook (I modify some recipes to make them lower in fat, but they are fab!)
- Recipes for Dairy-Free Living (I'm sensitive to dairy products)
- Weight Watchers Simply the Best: 250 Prizewinning Family Recipes (sometimes modify to lower carbs, and don't use chemical sweeteners)

Current goal: get under 200 lbs!
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #22

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Oooh, ooh! I have one! Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's cookbook. Y'know, the old red and white one that everyone has? They have a healthy version that is amazing. Everything is very low in calorie, fat, etc., everything I've made has been delicious (try the skinny mashed potatoes... YUM), it includes all the nutritional info... and best of all it has PICTURES of ALL the recipes! Can't beat that!

Fighting back from the regain

Strong is the new skinny.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #23

I love just about everything from Cooks Illustrated and the King Arthur Flour Company. Cook's Illustrated book on lite cooking is great, and for those looking to increase their fiber, King Arthur's book on whole wheat baking is ideal.
j45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I just bought a new one! How To Cook Everything Vegetarian.
Because I just got it, I haven't used it yet except to read/skim it and it looks amazingly good! It's a big one! With lots of instructional diagarams, kind of like in Cook's Illustrated, where there are diagrams of how to cut and trim an artichoke, for example. And there are lots of suggestions for how to modify recipes to add/substitute ingredients. I'm excitedly aniticipating using it soon!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

American Wholefoods Cuisine - my favorite veggie cookbook!
Joy of Cooking - really an encyclopedia as much as a cookbook
and
More With Less - changed our diet and lifestyle forever!

Both oldies but goodies!

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? ICor 6:19
My Pictorial Journey " " My Goal Story
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #26
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Me too!! You just have to be careful because the site also contains recipes from other publications that are not necessarily low fat/calorie. Some of those don't even give you the nutritional information (so I disregard anything that is not from Cooking Light).
I know! It's a change they made within the last year and I'm still annoyed about it. I even emailed them to complain about it. Everyone who is annoyed about this should email them to complain and maybe they will fix it. One tip they gave me was, when your search results come up, type "Cooking Light" in the Search Within These Results field and then search again. That will limit the results to just Cooking Light recipes. If you use the advance search tool, you can also choose to limit the results to just Cooking Light recipes, but I find that tool to be a pain to use.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #27

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Spiny, Bittman is great! I have the How to Cook Everything (original, non-vegetarian) we use it all the time. It's a fantastic basic cook book and I don't think I could do without it. Bittman also has a fish cookbook which is ok but not spectacular.

I use the advanced search on the Cooking Light website and just remember to check 'cooking light' with each search. It's worse than it was before they made the switch, but not the end of the world. Don't disregard Sunset though. They are a health conscious publication and have lots of nice, calorie-friendly recipes and provide nutritional info.

I'm currently cooking the Ancho chili from this month's Cooking Light for tonight's dinner. It's looking and tasting delicious!

Last edited by baffled111 : 12-17-2007 at 12:07 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #28

S/C/G: 212/199/150

I love Ellie Krieger's "Foods You Crave." She's on the Food Network and you can get a lot of her recipes on the website and they have nutrition information. I just made a Red Pepper Fettucine recipe that was super fast and easy that had Feta cheese in it that was to die for!
youngchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.