Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #1  
hottie inside

S/C/G: 170/170/130

Height: 5' 4"

Default Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt?

Hi all! I am posting this thread as a question I have been wondering but can't seem to find the answer to. Are we allowed any kind of FF/SF ice cream or frozen yogurt? I am about 4 weeks into P2 and since it is summer I am wanting a frozen treat like you would not believe

I know about the SF fudgesicles, but am wondering about the other stuff. Please help!
wannabehotagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Wannabehot!

To be honest, we're not supposed to have ice cream or frozen yogurt. However, many of us do. I don't find that it stalls my weight loss as long as I stick with normal portions and don't eat it with every meal. It can be a trigger food for me, so I try not to have it in the house, but it's hard to resist in the summer! Here are some ideas:
  • If you have to get ice cream, try to get one that's as natural as possible and fat free, if possible (but be aware that if it is SF AND FF, they have to add more frankenfood to take the place of both the sugar and the fat! ). Bryer's (in the States) has a fairly natural ice cream...if you stick with vanilla (and put fresh fruit on top...Mmmmm) it's not half bad in terms of nutrition and processed food. (
    The more unreadable ingredients in the food, the worse it is, IMHO. )
  • Again, if you feel you have to get ice cream, consider getting it from a shop in a cup, small size. That enforces portion control and it's a lot harder to go back in and get seconds than it is to start eating it out of your freezer with a spoon (not that I know anything about that! )
  • Other options: NSA or SF popsicles, fudgesicles, Klondike bars, ice cream bars, etc. Blue Bunny makes a mean butter pecan ice cream bar...it does have trans fats, but it's a small amount, so as long as you don't eat them every day, they should be fine. They also have a chocolate almond ice cream bar that's good. In addition, they have a fudgesicle and vanilla/chocolate swirlsicle that is NSA and delicious.
  • Try making your own ice cream! There's a recipe for ziploc bag ice cream in the recipe forum...I've made it and not only is it a workout, so you earn the calories but it's really good!
  • Make a really yummy smoothie with frozen berries (or other fruit), yogurt, protein powder, flaxseeds, SF Syrup, etc. Yum!
  • Get a SF frozen coffee drink (like a frappacino): Borders' bookstores have a cafe that has a decadent SF Kahlua Mudslide coffee drink. You can order it with skim milk and without whipped cream and it's really good and fairly low cal and close to fat free. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf will make their "Ice Blended" (any flavor) Sugar Free for you. They are to die for!!!
  • When all else fails, make a chilly gin and diet tonic with a huge squeeze of lime and enjoy!

Of course, there are tons of other ideas...like freezing your grapes before you eat them. It all depends on your tooth sensitivity, what you like, and what is a trigger for you.

SBD is very flexible, I think...and that's one of it's strengths.

Last edited by beachgal; 03-26-2009 at 09:16 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #3  

Beachgal's right, the Blue Bunny vanilla/choc swirl bars are delicious and just like eating ice cream. They also have orange and raspberry creamsicles.

Also, with a ice cream pop, portion control is much easier than with a half-gallon of ice cream.

I don't know if Friendly's is national, but they recently came out with lower fat black raspberry ice cream made with Splenda. It's very good, but would best be considered a rare treat. (both for being processed and really addictive, at least for me!)
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #4  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Beware of teh SF stuff. That was one of my downfalls and thus why I am back to lose the 20 lbs I lost before. I found I actually gained wt. while eating the SF ice cream. Definitely in moderation.
smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #5  
hottie inside

S/C/G: 170/170/130

Thanks everyone for your thoughts....this should definitely help get me through the summer!
wannabehotagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #6  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

this is a question i could have asked... thanks for asking it ..
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #7  

This is a rather late response but for the beachers that either indulge in cold treats at anytime of year or those who are from the warmer states or the caribbean....although it sounds odd i have fat free cool whip (the one with the endorsement from south beach printed on the tub) when i have the urge it eat ice cream. that usually does it pretty good for me. maybe this is because i am not a fan of ice cream and the like but to me cool whip tastes like ice cream. and a plus is that if you go overboard it wont make be horrible because cool whip doesnt have in much calories...just an idea!
Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Default Hint on ice cream portion size

I buy Dryers no added sugar ice cream and decant it into 4 oz ziplock cups. My problem is that a portion is 4 oz and I can't seem to eat less than 1-1/2 cups at a time (sweet taste addict). I pack all the cups at once and put them in the freezer. Altho this seems silly--since you would think I would just eat three 4-oz cups at a time, I don't. I eat no more than one and this is easy for me. Just a suggestion.

Sharon
jicarilla is offline   Reply With Quote