5-10 Pounds to lose by Turkey Day Challenge!

You're on Page 2 of 24
Go to
  • Im in!!! I want to loose 4 pounds but since this is 5-10 pounds I'll go for 5

1) today's weigh in is 160

2) I am going to do Billy's Bootcamp series. I will switch between all four and do the treadmill every other day And Pilates twicw a week. Or more.

3) I am going to watch my prtions control and not so many bad carbs. Just the good ones
  • Hun.e.B:

Welcome! That sounds like a great plan!!
  • Okay Jasmine, I'm in for the Thanksgive challenge too. My weighin day is on Monday so I will post it too.

Exercise: sticking to the gym. treadmill, elliptical, and bike 30min 5x a week, and weight 20 minutes 3x a week
  • jelly:

Welcome!

Quote:
    Im in!!! I want to loose 4 pounds but since this is 5-10 pounds I'll go for 5
    If all you want to lose is 4 then that is fine too! The last challenge I started I made it 10 and didn't realize that there are some women who can't lose 10 in a month. Well heck I thought I was being a bit ambitious myself with the 10 instead of 8 but it is possible generally when you have more weight to lose. So I knew for my next challenge I wanted to make it more user friendly so for the women that weigh alot less so that they can feel free to join as well.

Your plan sounds good. Tell me what is up with pilates! I only walk right now but want to start something new! I have heard alot of good things about pilates. On our netflix there are exercise videos and I put a few on our list.. Which would be a good one for a beginner?

callystia:

Wow! you have really come thru alot! If you ever need anyone to chat with, I am here for ya. I have just recently been running into on livejournal alot of pro ana girls and it is just breaking my heart. These girls are thin, pretty, young, yet they think they are fat and ugly. It really hits a note with me cause I was always the same way! Growing up I always thought I was fat and ugly. Now I look back at pics and I realize I wasn't. (most of the time) But I got to the point in early adolescence of not caring and that is when I started to pack on weight! I was about 210-220 at 15, got down to about 155-160 when I was 16. Looked great! Then slowly crept up and over the years woke up one day and realized I was HUGE! But when I look back at pics over the years. I felt just as huge at 200 as I did at 280! I know at 280 I was in serious denial! I woke up when me and fiance took some pics after he proposed and I was disgusted! I knew I did NOT want to be that fat for our wedding. I suceeded in losing 30 by April and started working on it again and am down another 30. I never want to go back to that place again of not caring!

The big difference this time is it is a lifestyle change for me. I am also very concerned about my future health as I have had a mom dead at 52 and dad at 65 basically both diabetics and prescription pill poppers, etc. Health is my number one concern, vanity and wanting to look great for my new hubby comes second!

So when I see all these women starving themselves and basically wrecking their body to look thin it makes me so sad! I am so glad you have been able to stop that madness and get help!! It has taken me 31 years to come to terms with my self and realize that I am beautiful and lovable at any weight. My new dh taught me that. No that is not an excuse to stay heavy though. Just that I know that I have better self esteem now than I did at 190! I am learning to love myself and my body. It makes a big difference!!

If anyone else would like to share their story they are more than welcome too!
  • dollypie:

Hi sweetie!! we can do it again hun! Hooray!! How much have you lost so far in our haloween challenge?
  • Quote: Hi martiniforme!!

I know you are new to all this so I would highlyy recommend checking out those two first links I posted! I wish I had seen that stuff last year maybe I would of lost 100 by now!! Sounds like a good plan!
    Thank you!!! I have been searching for something just like this to help me visually control my calory intake! You have no idea how much you have just helped me Or maybe you do...
  • I actually do know that is why I posted it for you ladies! So many times I remember telling my hubby that if I could just find a fool proof plan that I know works, I would gladly do it! I have the motivation and the will power to carry it thru as long as I don't have to be too restrictive! This is a lifestyle change for me so I have to be able to do this the rest of my life, not just til I get to a goal. I lost 30 last year just by starting to walk and changing some foods around, cutting back on junk food and switching to boneless skinless chicken more often. I had some down time from Jan ~ April of this year due to a miscarriage. But at the end of April I was still at 250, so I did maintain my loss but was revving to get back on track! I started the walking again and the thing I still had trouble with forever was portion control! I would rather walk 5 hours a day then cut back on my eating. One week I noticed something. Even though I had switched to no junk food and chicken more often than not. I was still not eating right. One week I noticed that sure, I had changed to chicken, but 1 nite was chicken tacos(fried and with cheese), 1 nite was chicken burritos, with cheese and one nite was chicken enchiladas with lost of cheese and 2 helpings and a helping for lunch the next day! I was seriously overloading on the cheese!!

So I knew I also had to work on portions and watching the cheese not to mention I adore potatoes! I used to eat them almost every nite!! So I got strict! Red meat once a week! Well actually twice. The once is on sundays and then once when we go out to eat I allow myself a burger and fries or a nacho bell grande, etc. And besides that treat meal, potatoes are generally only once a week also! On sundays! I limit myself to one cup of mashed potatos and use 1/3 less fat butter. I have been getting tri tip roast lately cause all the fat is on the outside and you can skim it off. If I do happen to decide we just have to bar b q, I get the 4% low fat gr. beef! 4 grams of fat vs. 22 grams of fat per seving! Makes a heck of a difference!

I posted this elsewhere too, maybe this will help give you an idea :

This is what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast:

1 apple, 1 orange, half a grapefruit, 1 banana, sometimes I'll add strawberries or blueberries but I make this into a smoothie with Ice! (The premise behind this is I have read a few different books/websites where your body needs to detox before noon. Also that fruit MAY spoil in your tummy if eaten with other food. Not sure if it is correct or not but I like the smoothies and need to get my fruit in anyhow and it is a great way to start my day. I feel full and actually have energy and am not weighed down. The days I do "slip up" and not start with fruit are the days everything caves in on me and my good eating gets thrown out the window.)

Lunch:

1 slimfast, 2 oz of tuna(in water) w/ 1 tsp of light mayo, 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread. I only do tuna maybe 1-2 a week, you have to be careful w/ the mercury! Or more often than not, I have a little bit of peanut butter on the bread. Like 1 tbs, (you could also substitute with turkey if you like)

snack: 1 yogurt or 1 serving of total(no milk) or honey bunches of oats(no milk)

Dinner:

It varies. I try to do boneless skinless chicken breast with 1 cup of rice (I have been working on switching to brown this past week)and brocolli and carrots 3 times a week. I usually add in a bit of bar b q sauce or sweet n sour for flavor, or add a marinade to the chiken. One nite, usually Sunday, I will have red meat like low fat roast or a steak with 1 cup of mashed potatos and a vegi. Once a month or so I will have french bread or rolls.

The other nites I will have bean and cheese burritos w/ spanish rice, go easy on the cheese, sometimes use mozarella. Or once every few weeks we will have lasagna(in moderation) or chicken enchiladas(in moderation) . I usually have to have tacos at least once a week or I freak! lol With chicken though. I use olive oil to fry the shells in, or sometimes just warm them up over the fire. Once a week I will go out to eat for lunch and I tell myself I can have whatever I want! I remember even last year that would mean a 1/4 cheeseburger with fries and onion rings and sugary soda and lots of ranch and thousand island! But I have since cut out sugary soda completely! It's just not worth it! If we go out to eat at a nice rest., I will have a salad w/ ranch, (which is like once a month) Plus a burger and fries. But I don't dip the fries in the ranch or thous. island no more and actually seldom even get onion rings any more. Next time we go, I am going to see if hubby just wants to split the fries with me and our daughter who is 2. Last time when we went out to eat I gave her 1/4 of my burger and that shaves cals off right there!! Him and I and her had split one fry and 1 onion ring and even brought onion rings home for the other kids cause there were so many but next time I go I think the 3 of us will just share 1 fry.

Anyhow. You are welcome to look at my fitday. Just remember, if you are eating too few cals your body may hold onto the fat as well! That is why small frequent meals are important! Sometimes in the evening I may have some 94% fat free popcorn with ICBINB spray. Or once in a while if I need to snack some pretzels, but try to get low salt! The best thing you can invest in is a food scale and use measuring cups and measuring spoons! I was tinkering along from the end of April til the end of August with alot of motivation and hard work, but only 12 pounds to show for it. I was 238 on August 28 and had not lost a pound all month! That is when I decided to start calorie counting and it has really helped! Around the 28 of September I found fitday and the womens health calculator and it just all fell in place. It makes sense! this is just a numbers game! Less calories in your mouth ~ more calories burning =losing weight!

Every 3500 cals = a pound

On the calculator for me what t says is my maintenance cals are 2200 right now(roughly) If I exercise 60 minutes a day they are 2800. So I walk 60 a day. If I cut my cals to 1800 a day or a little less, I burn at least 1000 cals a day. 1000 x 7 days a week = 7000 calories burnt = 2 pounds lost.

I have lost 18 pounds since August 28 this year just calorie counting, exercise and trying to fill those cals with healthy food though. Thats pretty good!

I hope you can find what works for you!! If you need any advice or help just ask!!
  • 1. 148 (Going for 10 lbs. but not sure if I actually have that much extra to lose before going after muscle).
    2. Weather turning so biking may be squashed soon, but I can always go to the gym or for a walk everyday. I do massage, too, and believe that is a work out. Alternate days of upper than lower body target work.
    3. I try not to watch too closely or count too much because I start to relapse, but I keep in check with my self and how I'm feeling about food in general.
    4. Today has not been excellent, but okay. I just got home from 45 minute bike ride, will do about 20 minutes upper body strengthening later and probably 30 minutes of stretching.

Foodwise:
    FF waffles: 195
    1/2 portion rice/veg: 250
    small banana: 70
    1 cup soy milk: 140 > Leaves me at 655, I'll have to work to get to at least 1200 by end of the day.

BTW: Callystia, I'm going through the same thing, it's frustrating, I know.
  • Thanks, PellMel.

Can you handle peanut butter? Great source of protein and you get a big caloric "bang for your buck" because you don't need to eat much. Sometimes it's the only thing that helps me get the number to where it needs to be.
  • Quote: Thanks, PellMel.

Can you handle peanut butter? Great source of protein and you get a big caloric "bang for your buck" because you don't need to eat much. Sometimes it's the only thing that helps me get the number to where it needs to be.

Yup, I eat the fresh ground p.b., just peanuts. The only thing is, I completely rebel against eating a full serving of just about everything.
  • Hello ladies. i would LOVE to do this challenge. I am going to the dreaded in-laws for Thanksgiving, so i would be really happy if i could be down 10 more pounds.

Here lately i have been averaging about 8 pounds a month but i need to kick it up a notch and get to 10 a month. With me being this heavy, there is no reason why i cant be getting 10 a month easy.

1. 250 lbs
    2. I go to the GYM 4-5 times a week. The days i work, monday and friday, i usually walk my dogs. At the gym i get in 25 minutes of weight training and 30 minutes of cardio (ellipitical)
    3. I count cals...goals are 1300-1500 a day 5 days, 1500-1700 2 days.
    4. I weigh every friday morning.

Look forward to working towards losing 10 pounds with you all. So glad to be a part of this challenge.
  • EWWWW inlaws!! LOL!

I love the idea of rebelling against having a full serving...that is great stuff!

~melissa
  • I need some pushin
    1. 173
    2. I will go to the gym in the am with the girls and do the elliptical for 40 mins, then 20 mins weights.
    3. I will follow the fatsmash diet plan and not give up.
  • Ugh...a fairly high-calorie "cycling" day, and I feel gross.

1468 calories - I won't list the food, but the only "junk" was a bit of dark chocolate this afternoon.
    Exercise: 30 minutes Pilates, 30 minutes bellydancing
    Supposed deficit of 969 calories, but FitDay lies a lot.
  • Hi Everyone!

I'd love to hop in and join the challenge.
    Today I worked out at the gym for over an hour and started a serious diet of low carb and low calories.
    I weighed and lost a pound from yesterday.
    I have loads to lose so I'll just keep it at that.
    I've decided to alternate my workouts between gym and walking. I need to relieve the pressure off my joints from going to the gym.