Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/187

Height: 5' 5"

Smile 16 week competition starts September 1st!

Hello everyone! I am new here...I am looking for a support group because my best friend (of 17 years) and I are starting 16 week competition tomorrow! We will each weigh-in September 1st and see who can loose the most body weight based on percentage by December 22nd...which is her 30th birthday! Mine is only 5 days later, so we're both really trying to get into shape before turning the big 30! There has already been so much "trash" talking going on between the two of us (friendly, of course) because the winner will get $300 from the other one. I have to win! So give me your tips, I need all the help I can get. I'm thinking about doing Weight Watchers...any thoughts on that? I currently weigh 235. Is 3 lbs a week reasonable, or too aggressive? Any advise will be welcomed! I'll report my progress to you chicks!
JackiefromLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #2  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

welcome to the forum! that sounds like a really fun challenge, just make sure to keep it friendly! Maybe you guys could do some type of activity together regularly to make sure it stays supportive and not negative. My good friend and I jog together and its great having the workout buddy to keep me motivated! I think 3 lbs a week is kind of a lot, usually "they" say that 1-2 lbs a week is a good pace for steady long term weight loss. Good luck, keep us posted
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #3  
Proud Twinmom

S/C/G: 250.5/223.5/147

Height: 5'8

Default Hi

A little friendly competition is always a good motivator. 3 lbs per week is agressive, however if you drink tons of water and workout 4-6 times per week, you will probably drop at least 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks (basically water weight). WW is a very good sensible plan and it is pretty easy to follow. I love Winning Points/Flexpoints. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Elycia
u2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #4  

Thank you for the good suggestions! I'm going to make a water chart and keep up with how much water I am drinking on a daily basis. My mom told me to try and drink 80 to 100 ounces per day! I'll see what I can do, but I'm not making any promises! My friend and I don't live in the same State. She lives in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, so to make it even more interesting, we're not telling each other our progress. We email every day and talk on the phone everyday, so I know when she's eating good, or working out, but we're not telling each other our weight until the day before she flies in for our final weigh-in! She comes "home" every year for our annual birthday dinner that we do together to celebrate both our birthdays, so this year, we're making it lunch, and we're both bringing the $300 prize money. Then after lunch, we're going clothes shopping for new skinny clothes! Of course we'll both be winners, but the real winner will have an extra $300 to buy new clothes with!

Last edited by JackiefromLA; 09-01-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

What a wonderful way to be supportive to each other and keep motivated at the same time! I love that you'll be keeping your progress a secret until she arrives. I wish you the best of luck. I've no experience with weight watchers, and reitterate the above responses with 3 lbs a week is aggressive, but you'll find out what your body is comfortable with, and regardless of how fast or slow your loss is you'll be a winner in the end by being so much healthier.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #6  

Hi, Jackie!

If you seriously want to get the weight off quickly and healthfully, then start jogging. Seriously. It's the ultimate fat burner. If you're healthy enough to tolerate a light run, slow jog, or fast-paced power walk, you will definitely win that contest!

I don't give advice unless it's accurate. And I'm living proof that good cardio works. Since spring 2005 I've already lost 85 lbs without surgeries, diets, or gimmicks; I did it the old-fasioned way, through exercise. At first I was taking a few water aerobics classes each week, and that was fine. The weight was coming off, my body was tightening up, gaining muscle, losing fat, etc. But as the months went by I wanted results I could see, you know? Progress that would be visible every week! I knew the pounds were coming off, but I wanted them to drop even faster. So I took up running.

I started easy, with power-walking: 45 minutes twice a day. Like most people I have a standard 9-5 job, so I just incorporated the exercise into my daily life by throwing on sweats and sneaks, using a backpack instead of a purse & briefcase, and walking to the commuter train for work instead of driving; I did the same thing in the afternoon coming home. Voila! I got an awesome cardio workout twice each day, thus completing the required daily dose of exercise. Once I moved into high cardio (power walking, light jogging, then eventually running) the weight fell off.

Since it's only September, you've still got a good stretch of time before the contest ends. If you start walking/light jogging and following a good eating plan now -- and increase either the duration or the intensity of your exercise each week -- you will win that contest.

Best of luck!

--
Transformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #7  

Thumbs up

Thank you for the wonderful support. I am so pumped up now, after reading all the cardio suggestions and "you WILL win" comments. Lol! I'm going to post my weekly progress to you guys on here! Thanks again.

And you're right, I WILL win this contest! Lol
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #8  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, I like your competition there too. My advice is to read Dr. Phil's book. It opened my eyes to some things and it may do the same for you. You dont nned to buy it. Your library should have it. That and the exercise will do it for you. Oh and WW, it's a good program, teaches healty eating. Anyway that's my 2 bits.
Diana
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote