Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #1  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default ***Breathe a Little Easier Challenge***

Ok gang (and anyone else who might want to join in)...
It's a new month. The month of May. Which is also "Clean Air Month"! So...what a better way to get this challenge going than to challenge ALL of you to breathing easier this month! Of course this involves exercise...what did you think???

First of all...pick an exercise that you enjoy (walking, biking, aerobics, WATP, etc.) Just figure out how many minutes you think you might do them during the week. (We will break this down into weeks) and then post that. For each following week, try to increase your previous week's minutes with more minutes or intesity (or both) by any amount. Based on that, figure out how many minutes you will exercise the whole month of May and post that.

As an example, this week I will exercise 130 minutes. (week 1)
(Week 2) 145 minutes
(Week 3) 150 minutes
(Week 4) 160 minutes
(Week 5 is only 4 days, so I will probably only get in 2 days of exercise) 90 minutes (which is still increased because I upped it to 45 minutes each session)

By the end of the month, I should have in 675 minutes of exercise. That's 11.25 HOURS of exercise! What would I be doing with those hours if I'm not exercising and trying to breathe a little easier??? Something to consider.

If you'd post your weekly/monthly exercise minutes each week, I can try to do a tally based on who is participating in the challenge.

BREATHING EASIER also includes having pants fit a little loser, doesn't it? Which might include some of our eating habits...SO, if you want to join me to not only get our metabolism boosted with exercise, but also to start making healthier choices with food, then let's start that today as well!!!!

I'm joining Weight Watchers on Tuesday!!!! I know that for me, posting my food journal is just part of the deal. So, I am going to try to post my "menu" here each day as well as my "real" food eaten. If you'd like to join me with the food challenge, I'd love the support. Elisha...I know you already do that, so that will be fun to join you with that! If anyone has another idea for the food/weight loss, then I'd love to have you share. I just know that for me...

"breathing easier" is so much easier when done with friends!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #2  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I would like to joing you in this. I am having a bad day and not really in the mood for explaining what all has happened today, but I've been looking for a place to keep me accountable for my exercise. I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I am aiming to get 3150 minutes of exercise during May. I want to spread this out evenly instead of increasing each week as I am starting to aim at maintaining weight instead of losing. (Plus I can't go much over the daily amount of time I'm at now.) Thanks for giving me a place to come post my progress.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hey Julie... I'm copying you... because it's easier that way and besides if you can do it ... I can do it!

(Week 1 )130 minutes
(Week 2) 145 minutes
(Week 3) 150 minutes
(Week 4) 160 minutes
(Week 5) 90 minutes

I intend to do some walking... but given the time of year some exercise must come in the form of lawn mowing and yard work... otherwise I'd have NO time to register. I'd like to start WATP again a few times a week too ... So, I guess I'll be - what they call = cross training.

I will weigh in and measure tomorrow morning .. it won't be pretty and it won't be rewarding... but I do need to start being accountable.

The other day I decided that I'm going to begin to challenge myself to do things that I fear or I have trouble with rather than quitting or demeaning myself.... first thing I challenged myself to do was.... I was driving the truck which is a standard to work (the van is an auto and I usually drive it) and I usually go a particular route to work... but when I drive the truck I get nervous (panicky type) about a small hill with a light and so I drive 2-3 miles out of my way..... Well Friday I just said I'm going to face the hill and not be afraid and I did.. and it was NO PROBLEM.

Sorry... bit of a tangent, but I'm hoping that this new attitude will give me some empowerment and self esteem. I know I have all the knowledge and all the tools to do this ... I'm just missing the believing in yourself part. I am going to challenge myself to find out why I don't allow myself to loose the weight and be successful in this next month before my 50th birthday.... I have said for two years that I want to be to goal by now and still I am at my heaviest.

Too many truths for tonight...

FIll in the rest tomorrow.
Joy
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #4  
motomom

Default Monday Morning

OK all you sleepy heads...time to rise and shine!!!

I'm glad we have found Joy again!! Sure seemed empty and lonely around here without her! Maybe we can find a few others who have wandered from the fold!

Joy...We are here for you! Whatever you need. You KNOW you can do anything you set your mind to and we can do this together. My goals are lofty, but I am feeling good about it right now. I really really need to do this! My 45th birthday is in July and it would just feel nice to be down to a decent (not goal) weight by then! My whole body has changed since I have gained back the weight...I bump into things now with my butt! My back hurts more, I have less energy, etc...So...this is it for both of us! Let's just DO IT!!!!

Artsygirl...We're glad to have you! Sorry about the really bad day. Feel free to find this place a good place to vent! Yea for you on being able to maintain your loss! May I ask how much you lost and how you did it?

OK...gotta go get ready for my day. I'm feeling like it's going to be a whirlwind! Oh boy.........
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Good morning ladies-I'm sorry about starting with such a bad introduction yesterday. I had my truck window smashed in and my purse stolen yesterday. It happened in my church parking lot and of course no one saw/heard anything. I didn't lose a huge amount of cash and got all the cards cancelled right away, but I have been going through a lot of bad emotions and feel very violated.

Well, I'll try to let ya know a bit about me. I am a piano teacher/church organist/glass artist/jewelry maker. My degrees are in music, but I've been doing more with art in the last few years. I am blessed that I usually enjoy all of my jobs. I will be 33 on Wednesday. I'm married (10 years in Nov.) and have 2 dogs-no kids. I've lost around 40 pounds since January by watching portion sizes and doing LOTS of cardio (usually 2 hours a day). I've just in the last week made the decision to switch to maintenance so I'm working at adjusting everything just a bit. It is scary because I KNOW how to lose, and of course I know how to gain, but I'm not sure exactly where the fine line of maintenance lies.

My exercise goals for the month are:
WEEK 1: 700 minutes
WEEK 2: 700 minutes
WEEK 3: 700 minutes
WEEK 4: 700 minutes
WEEK 5: 350 minutes

most of my workouts will be walking, spinning, kickboxing, running or softball

Joy-Isn't it great when we challenge ourselves and try something we're uncomfortable with and realize we can do more than we thought?! Glad you had sucess with the truck and I wish you the best as you work to bring that challenge into the personal realm.

Julie-thanks for the welcome. I so understand about your entire body changing with weight gain. I used to need to take an afternoon nap because I lacked energy all the time. I also used to knock into things all the time and then I felt so ashamed of myself.

I've done a 4 mile walk in the misting rain this morning and it helped calm me and start my day off right. I want to do a kickboxing workout in a bit, but I am very stiff today and not sure if I'll do it or not.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. Have a great day
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #6  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chicks!

Brandy: It’s always good to add a new face to the group! You’ve done a wonderful job so far! Such an encouragement for the rest of us! I’m sure you will figure out maintenance. And once you do, could you please let us all know for when we make it there?

Julie: Posting my menu helps me stay on track. Yeah, I log my food in my DietPower every day, but no one sees that but me, and it’s not going to yell at me if I eat a cheeseburger instead of a salad. Posting helps with accountability.

And just for the record, any time anyone wants to comment on my food intake or make suggestions or ask questions, please do! This “learning to eat healthy” is an ongoing process, and I will take all the advice I can get.

Joy: Good to see you again! Yard work definitely counts as exercise! I will get getting some of that in too, now that I have a yard to take care of. I might actually plant something! I understand completely about challenging yourself though, and I think it’s a wonderful idea. I don’t avoid roads because of a standard (I drive a standard, and in WV there is NO way to avoid hills), but I do avoid roads I’m not familiar with, even if it takes longer.

OK, so, goals for this month:

Week 1: 210
Week 2: 225
Week 3: 240
Week 4: 255
Week 5: 160
Lose 6 pounds—I want to get to or below 210 by my birthday (29th)

I’ve been slacking off a bit with exercise for the past week, and now I’m feeling guilty, so as of today it’s back to it! I got up this morning, weighed in (216.0—down 1.2 this week!), and measured (everything’s about the same), then took Ella for a quick 13-minute walk. I’ll do my Yourself!Fitness after work tonight. No exercise Friday (day off), Saturday was a 30-minute walk with Steve and Ella, last night was bowling and weights and stretches. No cardio yesterday, because I was busy from 7:30am on, but then I felt guilty about slacking and did my weights and stretches while watching Big Love.
Also, I need to drink lots of water today. I tried to be conscious of it over the weekend, but that didn’t work so well. So I’ll be chugging it today.

Food this weekend was ok. Friday night Steve’s parents took us to Pizzaria Uno, and I really wanted a big, cheesy, deep dish pizza, but I was good—I had salmon, roasted veggies, and a tiny bit of cole slaw. Yay me for making better choices! Saturday and Sunday I didn’t eat the healthiest foods, but I ended up having a big breakfast, no lunch, and a reasonable dinner both days, and calories came in at a decent range.
I didn’t get enough sleep this weekend though (surprise surprise, eh?). Friday night I was up until around 3:30. A couple of Steve’s best friends have a band—a very good band, actually—and they’re splitting up, and Friday was their farewell concert. It was sad. I’ve gone to all of their home concerts for the past 6-7 years. Lots of memories. They do a cover of the Muppets’ goodbye song at the end of their shows, and the entire band and at least half of the audience was in tears by the time they finished. It was sad.
So anyway, I was up way late, and the rest of the weekend was busy too. My goal tonight is to get to bed as early as possible.
But I did get a lot done this weekend, so it’s all good. We did our wedding registry (or at least 1 of them, there’s at least 1 more we’ll do) and went over a bunch of other wedding stuff with my mom and maid of honor. I got all my laundry done and some meals cooked for the week. We got new curtains for the bedroom and put them up (finally figured out a decorating scheme). And we figured out a few next steps that we want to get done around the house. So a rather productive weekend.

OK, menu for today:
Breakfast:
2 c. coffee w/FF vanilla creamer
½ banana frittata w/pecans and light syrup
This was soooo yummy! I got the recipe from AllRecipes (just search for “banana frittata”) and altered it a bit to make it even healthier (use my LF vanilla soy milk, egg substitute, and no oil). I thought it would be weird, because it’s something like a banana omelet, but it tastes more like a banana pancake. Yum yum yum.

Lunch:
Whole wheat penne w/LF Bearnaise
Sautéed squash, peppers, and onions
Tuna

Snack:
LF Yogurt

Dinner:
Spaghetti Bolognese
Salad
Probably a piece of toast (because I can’t have spaghetti without some form of bread)

OK, I’ve got to get cracking. Have a good day, chickies!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #7  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi
I'm hoping I can join you ladies, I'm a SAHM with 2 boys, one is almost 3 and the other is 4 months. I'm going to think about how much I'm going ot walk and then I'll get back to you. As I'm having a busy day today.
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/230/140

I'm totally in. I need something to "challenge" me to exercise more. I didn't work out at all last week because I was so busy. My goals are:
Week 1: 120 minutes
Week 2: 130 minutes
Week 3: 140 minutes
Week 4: 150 minutes
Week 5: 120 mintues
Total Minutes: 660 minutes
Total hours: 11
I think I'm going to be doing aerobics and walking. I am so excited to start again this week! Lots of slimfast and salads and healthy dinners too!
Brandy-nice to see you here!!!
buckneram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #9  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi
I'm back and have a bit of time now. Had to take my baby in for pics. Was only 4 min late, not bad.
okay:
week 1: 240
week 2:300
week 3:360
week 4: 420
week 5: 180

total: 1500
my only sticker will be if it rains
I hope to lose 11 popund this month, I know that's a lot, but I'll try. Rhat's my mini goal, to reach prepregnancy weight
Maybe I should go get started as I'm being very ambitious
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  
"workin' on my fitness"

I'm in! I have got to start moving this body...I am already feeling the effects from this weekend, just schlepping & dealing with everything in the new house. Arrrgh.

Hubby's office is up & running, but we did have to take my computer down to make it happen. I'll catch everyone up in the morning, and that gives me time to come up with my goals and plans.

Happy May, chickies, and a big Welcome to all the new faces!
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #11  

Happy First of May!

It sounds like we are all off to a very enthusiastic start! I made some good food choices today.....totalling 1300 calories!......and have already done 30 minutes of WATP (Obviously I have been away from exercise a little too long, as it took me the first mile just to get the muscles warmed up!)

Julie.....Thank you so much for settting up this challenge! I really smiled when I saw the 'breathe easier' title.......I was out weeding the flowerbeds this past Saturday and found that bending and breathing at the same time was nearly impossible! This challenge is going to change that!

Brandy.....Welcome! Zounds.....what a great pic.....you look fabulous! You are going to be our Maintenance Trailblazer.....you get it figured out and we will all be right behind you! You are from Southeast Michigan? Julie and I are from the west side of the state!

Joy.....It is sooo nice to see you post again! WTG on facing.....and conquering....your fears! We can do this together!

Elisha....Wow....you really got a lot done this past weekend! Doesn't that give you a great sense of accomplishment!

Diane.....Welcome! You are going to love this group.....so supportive and encouraging! You want to lose 11 pounds this month?......that sounds like a lot, but I bet you can do it!

Angela.....Welcome! I know how hard it is to fit exercise into one's busy life! But you have to be good to yourself and schedule it in.....just like any other appointment!

Jennifer......Great to hear DH's office is up and running.....that sure smooths his life out. It will take some time to get totally settled into the new house.....just living in one place has got to simplify your life!

Today was incredibly hectic at work.....AR statements and assorted month end reports, insane and/or hysterical co workers, and a line of people outside the door who needed stuff done 'yesterday'. I think the most important stuff got done.....and the rest will be waiting for me tomorrow (is this what they call job security?)
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #12  
motomom

Default Monday Evening

OK...this is just for the first day accountability, but since I don't start Weight Watchers until tomorrow, does this really have to count?? LOL!!!

Exercise...20 minutes with DD after work...soccer in the yard...it was more like 30 minutes, but the hard part was more like 20!

Water...Not enough!

Food...
B-fast: 2 egg & turkey & cheese burritos with salsa wrapped in flour tortillas
Lunch: 1 slice cold veggie pizza, fruit & marshmallow fluff!
Supper: 1 serving leftover spaghetti (with meat sauce), 3/4 cup cooked broccolli & carrots with butter
Snack: one whole bag of microwave popcorn w/ cinnamon sugar sprinkled (I was very generous!)

I know this is going to come to a screeching halt after tomorrow's meeting at WW. I am excited, but a little nervous since it's been a long time since I did any "formal" meeting weight loss. I'm dreading weighin in because it could be much more than I "think"! I really need to stay accountable and stick with the "program". I'm such a rebel and so stubborn that I often set myself up for failure before I even start (like I have for the last....oh...year!) But nonetheless, I am excited and looking forward to starting this journey (again). I can envision my body where I want it to be and am suprised sometimes when I see myself in the mirror or in pictures...especially below the waist and above the knees! Makes me cringe!

I really don't like to be so negative, but lately I've really been feeling badly about myself and how far I've let this weight issue just get out of hand! It's disappointing! But hopefully I will see some success real soon! I'm hoping for at least 3# the first week, which means I will have to kick some serious butt this next week! Ya!

It's great to see some new faces and some lost sheep from the fold... Ihope we can really all stay motivated this month...until the END of the momth! HA!

Elisha...glad you had a loss this month. That's great! We are both going to kick serious butt this month, though! I'm going for 10# this month! Think I can do it??? That's a lot for me!

Jennifer...looking forward to hearing from you and having you join us this month. I'm so glad you are finally all moved! YEA!

To all the newbies...keep posting. I'll eventually comment, but I am getting heavy eyed right now and it won't make much sense!

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow! Wish me luck!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #13  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Morning chickies!

Diana and Angela! We’re glad to have you with us!

Yesterday was a good day. I don’t remember exactly where my calories came in, but they were in the 1600-1650 range, I do believe. Water was good, though I would have liked to get in another 10-20 oz. I got a soda on the way home and it lasted me all evening (I drank water during my workout). Food went as planned, except I had lasagna instead of spaghetti and skipped my afternoon yogurt. Exercise was a 13-minute walk with Ella in the morning and 30 minutes of Yourself!Fitness after work. And I really pushed myself during Y!F, so I got a great workout. But it felt good, and I felt good about it.

I did get to bed a little early, but then I laid there and watched Honey, We’re Killing the Kids on TLC. Have you seen that show? It’s pretty good. They take a family with bad eating habits and give them 3 weeks to change their ways. They show computer simulations of how the kids will look at 40 if they keep the same diet and exercise habit, and then at the end they show a new simulation of how they will look if they keep up the good habits. It’s interesting.

But anyway, I woke up at 5:15 this morning feeling like I hadn’t slept at all. I went back to sleep until 6, and feel a little better. Tonight I will do either 45 minutes of Y!F or 30 minutes Y!F and a walk with Ella.

Menu today:

Breakfast:
2 c. coffee w/FF vanilla creamer
½ banana frittata w/pecans and low-cal syrup

Lunch:
I have to go out to run some errands today, so I’m planning to get one of those Frescata sandwiches from Wendy’s. I’ll research it a bit and see which one will be the best choice, nutritionally. I’m not going to get any fries though, just the sandwich. Since I haven’t been eating fast food, the greasy fried stuff—especially fries—doesn’t sound remotely appetizing anymore. But I would like to try one of those sandwiches.

Snack:
LF yogurt

Dinner:
Sautéed squash and peppers
Whole wheat penne w/Bearnaise sauce
Maybe some salmon-dill cakes, depends on if I feel like cooking

OK, my co-worker is out today, so I’ve got lots to do. I should probably get started. Have a good day, chicks!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #14  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Default Hello!

Hello to everyone...Julie, Jennifer, MsRD, Elisha, Joy! And, also, hello to everyone else that I don't already know......this is a terrific bunch of ladies for sure!

I just wanted to stop in for a moment. I have been MIA due to baseball, baseball, and more baseball. With 3 boys playing, each having 1 practice and 2 games/week, we are constantly on the road. But, all is well. I am learning a lot about the sport, as well as how to best get grass stains out of the baseball pants...LOL!!

Amazingly, I have met my weight loss goal...actually surpassed it by 2 pounds. I'm now at 138 pounds. I have a lot of toning to do though. Gaining 75 pounds with that last pregnancy really did a number on my body. Losing the weight has helped my back problems as well as my arthritis. I really want to keep the pounds off. I have been doing Weight Watchers here at home. For some reason, WW is the only program that works for me it seems!

I went back and read through some of the posts..it's good to be here in a familiar place . I would love to join in this challenge...I need to get my exercise/toning routine started. You have always been so motivational to me!! I look forward to getting to know all the other new faces here too! I hope you all have a great day!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #15  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default Here I is again!

Third time's a charm, right? Maybe this month I'll actually follow through!

Let's see... I know I can maintain 30 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week, so I'll start with that as the base, and try to add 10 minutes of light strength training each week.

Week 1: 150 minutes
Week 2: 160 minutes
Week 3: 170 minutes
Week 4: 180 minutes

For a grand total of 660 minutes.

Ok, I'm getting side tracked. I'll post again when I can devote more attention.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote