Old 10-31-2005, 10:37 PM   #1  

Thumbs up "JUST DO IT!"challenge

Welcome to November!
It's the beginning of a new month, and the beginning of an exciting new challenge! And it is time for us to start fresh and turn everything we have learned in a positive, healthy new lifestyle!

We have read the diet books, done the research, experimented with different programs. And, we have learned that there are no magic pills, no quick results, no easy way out. Weight loss comes down to a simple formula: We must expend more calories than we take in. (Did I say simple? If it were that easy, all of us would be wearing a size 4! OK.....maybe not simple, but certainly possible!)

We have the knowledge we need to succeed; and, within each of us, we have the strength and ability to make anything we desire a reality! We know what we have to do.....so all that remains is to JUST DO IT!

Please join us! We need each other's support and encouragement! Post your action plan for the next 4 weeks......together we can do this!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Talking

Well MsRd...

My plan ... is based on some questions our dear friend, Miss Elisah, posed in the last challenge.

I challenge myself to hestiate, think and question my motivations for eating before I make a LOGICAL CHOICE to eat.

1. Is this on plan?
2. Am I going to feel guilty about this later?
3. Does this benefit my body?
4. Will this help me achieve my weight loss goals?
5. Am I physically hungry?
6. Is there something else I could be doing instead of eating (exercising, perhaps)?
7. What better choice can I make in this situation?

I think that I have to remember the four things that make me successful

1. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
2. Journal / Post
3. Exercise 30-60 minutes per day.
4. Eat OP (1400 calories)

I guess I'd better get that 5 pounds off that I promised too.

Joy

Last edited by JoyG56; 11-01-2005 at 12:07 AM.
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chickies!

MsRD: I'm loving the whole "Just Do It" theme! You're absolutely right--we have all the knowledge we need, we just have to get our butts moving!

My plan for this challenge:
1. Follow Dr. Phil diet plan
2. Less than 1500 calories per day, every day
3. Water, water, and more water (at least 100 oz. per day, EVERY day)
4. Exercise at least 30 minutes, at least 5 days per week

My goals for this challenge:
1. Lose 5+ pounds
2. Stick to exercise and eating plans
3. Journal regularly
4. Stay OP on weekends

I'm glad it's a new month. I feel refreshed. I can't believe it's November already, but I'm glad it's a new month. I've got some new good habits, and I'm working on breaking the old bad ones. This holiday season, I am determined to LOSE instead of gain.

So let's do this!

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #4  
Bound and Determined

OK, so here's a quick rundown of where I'm at.

I am OP so far today, and my packed lunch and snacks are OP. We'll be eating out for dinner, either a grilled chicken sandwich or a salad from a fast food joint, or we're going out for wings (which will probably also mean onion rings, since they have the best in town). I'm not too concerned about it, as I think I can still keep my calories in a reasonable range. Then we're going bowling tonight, so there's some exercise.

I'm still sore from working out for the past two days. Last night I did a lower body strength work out. It didn't seem too bad, but then I tried to do an extra little bit of cardio and I almost collapsed. So no Y!F today.

And no exercise whatsoever tomorrow, as we're going to the football game. Go Mountaineers!

But food will have to be perfectly OP tomorrow, and I'm ok with that. Anyway, work work work. Have a good one, chicks!
~Elisha
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #5  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default I'm in!

This month needs to be all about exercise for me. I've fallen back into the habit of rationalizing myself out of my workouts. So, as soon as I catch myself thinking about it for more than a minute (sickness won't count, as cold season is coming up), I will get up and dosomething, even if it's just marching in place for 5 minutes.

I've also got to get better about getting to bed on time so I don't have the "I didn't get enough sleep" excuse (which I used this morning ). This means that when I see the time get close, I need to DROP WHAT I'M DOING AND GET READY FOR BED!!

Goals for the month:

Hopefully lose 4 lbs
Not be so tired in the mornings
Not be so wishy washy anymore
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #6  
Ima bundle *' emotion

I hope no one minds me join this challenge. I need a challenge. They keep me motivated. And I see this particular division is very active. So it'll be great! For the next 4 weeks:

- Drink at least 66 fl oz water
- Get back in the habit of recording EVERYTHING I consume (its so easy to convince yourself 'oh that wasn't enough to mention')
- Do exercise every day (yes EVERY day)... even if its just 10 minutes
- Have a plan of action for each day (I find that lately I just wonder around letting life pass me by)
- Learn to be more genuinely attentive to others

Weight wise I would say I'd like to lose 6 lbs. by the end of the month...but any loss would be good LOL

Rosie
Extrinsic Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #7  
Bound and Determined

Rosie, of course you're welcome to join us! We love fresh blood... hehe.
to the group! There aren't many of us here, but you're right--we're pretty active, and pretty good about checking in regularly.

It sounds like you've got some good goals set up. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to learning more about you.

~Elisha
Old 11-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #8  
Tired of being fat!

S/C/G: 335/319/165

Height: 5'11

This is great!

My ultimate goal for this month is to lose at least 10 lbs.

I will accomplish this by:
*Drinking water everyday (as I now consume NONE on a daily basis)
*Exercising every day (no matter how small the amount), but rigorously at least 4 days per week and writing it down.
*Not eating fast food more than once per week
*Making healthier/rational/on the spot decisions when choosing unhealthy snacks
*Not making excuses as much
*Learning to enjoy being active (again)
time4aChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #9  
Bound and Determined

time4aChange! We're glad to have you here! Your goals for the month look great!

About water... it's amazing how much better I feel when I drink enough water. I don't really notice it until my water intake slacks off, then I feel like crap... headaches, bloatey, cranky, you name it! It's a miracle drink, I swear!

~Elisha
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #10  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Happy New Challenge, everyone! (Kind of like New Year, when so many people make that resolution to improve their health... fortunately, we can make that resolution every day in this group... )

My plan for the next four weeks:
1. Eat no more than one serving of junk food per day, with my monthly exception, which will be Thanksgiving. (SURPRISE!!! )

My goal:
1. Weight goal to be determined after I buy a scale in another week.

MsRD -- Thank you for setting up the new challenge. The theme of "just do it" is great. That theme seems to be what everyone in our group needs right now.

Eilsha -- You sound positive, as always. Good luck with the onion ring challenge tonight. Visualize a lion jumping through a ring of fire in a circus. You can jump through those onion rings!

Julie -- Swearing off sugar? Girl, that is HARD! As for gaining weight while starting an exercise program, when I started biking, I made up for the physical tiredness by eating a lot. In my mind, I convinced myself that three hours on a bike could let me eat double my normal amount of food and still lose weight. In reality, I couldn't eat as much more as I thought I could. Are you perhaps thinking that your exercise burns more calories than it really does, and overeating

Joy -- You're very specific about your plan. I bet you can do it.

Rosie -- Welcome! You are so right about journaling every bite of food. Yesterday my husband offered me a snack candybar and a cookie... seemingly small treats, but they would have added 150 calories to my day. So it is good to remember that we have to keep track of what we eat.

Timeforachange -- Welcome! Posting here regularly will definitely help you.

OK, how about a discussion? It would be nice to hear people's thoughts about the last challenge (or for Rosie and Timeforachange, what you've noticed about your recent weight-loss attempts.) I'm curious what successes people have had, what failures, what they could have done differently, what their main obstacles are, why you are hopeful for the future.

And everyone, let's each pick one small, itty-bitty realistic way we can take action to lose weight during this challenge, and JUST DO IT. I so badly want us all to be successful, because right now we all seem to be in a slump, and we have to get over it!!!

My action will be that sometime during this challenge, I formally will set up some sort of regular exercise program here in my new town, such as joining a gym or picking a particular walking route.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #11  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

I've discovered that I'm far more likely to fall off the wagon if I try to change too many things at the same time. That's why I'm only focusing on exercise this month. If I can ingrain that into my habits once and for all, I won't even have to think about it when I form my next habit.

The last challenge left me mindful of what needs to be done, and with several half-formed habits that I now need to cement.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #12  
Bound and Determined

TBJ--I like your discussion idea! I've already taken my action though, in the form of Yourself! Fitness. My action is to exercise on a regular basis and to stick with it and actually do it on the days I say I will do it, even if it means 10 minutes of marching in place. I feel so motivated right now, I wish I could send each one of you a little portion of my motivation.

I'm just the opposite of Betani--I have to do it all at once, exercise, diet, and water, all at the same time, or I'm like "why bother?" I've just got to go "cold turkey" with the bad stuff.

I look back at last spring when I was actually losing steadily, and really I didn't do anything amazing. I think about what I ate and did and what my life was like at that point. I'm still amazed at some of the things I ate--lunch was a Lean Pocket, some fat-free potato chips, and a diet soda almost every day. I never snacked, because I never had time (working retail, didn't get breaks to snack). I'm eating so much healthier now--I'm actually eating fruit and vegetables! I guess I'm just eating too much of the healthy stuff. (No, that's not it--I'm just eating too much other stuff too.) But the main thing I did was not let anything stand in my way. I was getting on that treadmill, no matter what else was going on. Of course, I didn't really have a life at that point--no BF, barely even any friends, no social activity to speak of--so there were a lot less things getting in the way.

But the thing is, I learned that it's possible, and that I CAN lose weight. It wasn't even that tough. After I got started, it seemed to happen almost automatically. So it CAN be done. I just have to switch that flip again, and the weight will come off. I CAN do it.

I did have an idea though (I stole this from someone on the Yourself! Fitness site): you know those committment bracelets you can buy packs of? Well, we could get a pack of those, sign them, and mail them to each other. That way we have a real tangible reminder that there is someone out there rooting for us. (It would be great if we could send them around and all sign one for all of us, but the logistics of that is a little much.) Actually, it doesn't even have to be bracelets, just something physical that we can carry with us wherever we go, something we can look at an instantly refocus. If you chicks like that idea, I'm willing to get it going.

Also, I was going through some random files on my computer last night, and I found my old quotes and questions. What would you chicks (those of you that remember, anyway) think about me starting that up again? For those of you who weren't around for that, I just posted a daily inspirational quote or question to get us thinking. Anyone up for that again?

OK, I think I've rambled enough for now. I'm so ready to leave this stupid office! Today has been the longest day ever!

Have a good evening, chickies!
~Elisha
Old 11-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #13  

I am totally new to this site...but I'm in!! I could use a challenge to kick my behind back into gear. I hope you don't mind another joining in!

My Plan:
Drinking more water...this has always been a major issue for me!
Exercise at least 45 mins a day....I was already up to 35 so 10 extra should be doable
Watch my carbs!...always tough around the holidays
Lose 10 pounds by Dec. 1 (although I'd be thrilled with 5--DREAM BIG!)
scale_challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #14  
Babs

I'm in!

Just registered.
So I'm a newbee.
Also new to using a message board...in fact really new to using a computor...
So someone please send me a message so I know you are out there and that I did the 'right stuff' to reach you...Thanks, thanks, thanks

I think this challenge sounds great...I need the support, and I'm willing to give support.

I've been doing Jenny Craig for 3 weeks...already I've gotten to 'that place'...you know where...telling myself "I can't do it"

So my # one goal is to tell myself at least every hour of every day:

1. YES YOU CAN! ...also
2. 9 to 12 pounds off by Xmas...How?
3. Follow the J C plan
4. Drink lot's of water
5. Go to gym at least 3 times a week
6. Use positive affirmations
7. Communicate
8. Ask for help
babsisawinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #15  
Ima bundle *' emotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJ333
OK, how about a discussion? It would be nice to hear people's thoughts about the last challenge (or for Rosie and Timeforachange, what you've noticed about your recent weight-loss attempts.) I'm curious what successes people have had, what failures, what they could have done differently, what their main obstacles are, why you are hopeful for the future.

And everyone, let's each pick one small, itty-bitty realistic way we can take action to lose weight during this challenge, and JUST DO IT.
Ohhh discussion Q's....now we're talking
Well I can talk about the last challenge because I participated in one of my own (same title but ended earlier, 'cause it started earlier). I learned to look at the whole picture. I lost almost 12 inches but very little weight (like 2 lbs). I still fail to stay away from confiding in junk food during bad/stressful times. My main obstacle is staying in routine. I tend to lose focus on my health goals alot (which is why I love finding new challenges). I wouldnt say I'm hopeful for the future. Although I wish I were. Right now unfortunately I'm just trying to get through each day, if I even do that successfully.

My small action would be to be mindful (recording, measuring, paying attn). When I went on vacation in august, I recorded everything and it helped me to find the caloric intake I needed to get to losing again. Now to get back to recording, and being in that range I need once again.

Rosie
Extrinsic Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote