Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #31  

Hi: It's me, Aunty EM.

Well, I did pretty good today - I drank lots of water, ate my healthy lunch, found out about the gym and got through my first day back at work.

I was there for about 1 1/2 hours before I forgot that I had actuallty been on vacastion! I think this stressful job requires the extra exercise to keep me calm. I tend to be an emotional eater - I think stress must be an emotion!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well.
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Well, hmmm I did cave to the cheesecake tonight ... but I think I actually "chose to have it" without going over. I had 5 points left from yesterday, and the rest of the day was low... so I still have 2 points to carry over to tomorrow and I didn't use any activity or flex points.

I only got down about 32 oz of water today... gotta pick that up a notch.

I didn't manage to get a walk in at work (working through breaks IS NOT GOOD FOR ME - I need to HAVE A BREAK)..So tomorrow I will go in the morning hopefully, it's supposed to be scorchin' here tomorrow ... about 32 C.

Tomorrow - I'll have to take a look at the rest of the suggestions for this week.

Glad you had a great day Aunty Em. What did you find out about the gym? Where you able to get some exercise in (about 200-300 calories worth)? I have a great garden to walk in at work during my breaks, I find that very calming, especially if I go with a co-worker. I really need to take a break at work to switch gears.... Do you have a nice place to walk - even a mall would do, if shoppping relaxes you

Sounds like a very informative day. Did you learn any motivational strategies that you could share to help us out? I know what those seminars are like ... I'm sure you needed all the walking around just to loosen up. I'm really glad that we can help each other to get back on track. I know I needed it. I noticed when I took my measurements that I'm the same as I was last September not close to where I want to be (150 by 50) 10 months from now.

Theresa, sounds like your working on a good strategy. Scheduling time for yourself is very important. You are worth it and you deserve it, besides you are making a good example for your kids - and if you can't manage to exercise when their napping include them in some fun games as exercise. Things like chasing a ball, tag, doing cartwheels and summersaults, hop scotch, swimming, bike riding - you know what I mean.

How did you day go Elisha?

Gotta go ... it 10pm and I'm going to turn into a pumpking.

XOXOXO
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Yesterday I did well with my challenge goals. I got on the Gazelle while the kids napped, even though I really wanted to curl up and have a nap as well as I usually do...aren't I so lazy I got in 4 miles, almost 500 calories, and had a pounding headache when I stepped down. A little Tylenol and the headache went away.

For the evening session, that didn't go as smoothly. I wanted to do another 4 miles, but my daughter came down with the cold my son had on vacation and I had to baby her instead. I did manage to get to the GAzelle about 11PM, but was so tired I only did 1 mile. I could have not done it at all since I knew she would be back up, but in the name of getting on the schedule I did a mile then went to bed.

Today, my challenge is to exercise at all three times, even if just one mile. I got the morning down already, we'll see what happens at noon!

Joy--even with cheesecake, sounds like you stayed on your plan. Don't beat yourself up, you're never going to be 100% without the treats you love. That would only set yourself up for disappointment...beacuse we're human and we love food! What a healthy diet does is teach portion control. You didn't pig out and eat three pieces, you had one piece that fit into your points and you stopped there. That's great! A treat sometimes won't sabotage you, but trying to never eat cheesecake ever, ever again will...you'll feel deprived and go eat the entire thing! You're doing great, if it fits your program and you don't go overboard then it's fine! Enjoy it!

As for the kids and exercise, we like to chase each other around the house lol Our house opens into a big circle and we pump up the music and I start walking around, then we all run and chase each other and it's a blast. Gets the heart rate up as well!

Aunty Em--Stress is an emotion, at least it drives me to eat just like any other emotion. Isn't stress eating one of the weekly topics in this challenge? I think I saw that on there.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #34  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Yesterday I actually got a second walk in. Slower and shorter than the first, but I think it got me up past 200 calories.

Snack-wise, I did ok, but I got up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep so I had 1 cookie, which did get me back to sleep. Perhaps it was my blood sugar.

Still no measurements. Doesn't ANYone still sell cloth measuring tapes?! I'll post for week 2 for sure. It might take me that long to find one.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #35  

Check Walmart for the measuring tape. I got mine there in the sewing/craft department, for less than a buck.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #36  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chickies!

Yesterday was good for me. Calories came in around 1900, but I forgot to add in the chips and guacamole I had when I got home (I'd been craving guacamole all day, and Mom must have read my mind and gotten me avocados!). But it's ok, because I made up for it--about 130 oz of water, and 45 minutes on the elliptical, plus 10 minutes on the weight machine! Woohoo! I actually went for 25 minutes straight! That's a record for me. So I still have about 500 calories left in my budget for the guacamole and chips. And I did make it lighter than I usually do (I usually add some mayo for creaminess, but skipped it yesterday), so it's all good. I felt really good about myself for doing all that exercise.

I'm feeling really good and really motivated since I decided to focus on body fat instead of weight. It just seems more attainable to me. And get this, I didn't weigh this morning! I wanted to, but I resisted.

So today I ate a light breakfast, because we may go to Pizza Hut for lunch, but I worked it into my calorie budget, and I plan to exercise more this evening. Either cardio bootcamp or my Crunch fat-burning yoga. Probably the yoga, because I need to start stretching and working on my muscles again. I started to get on the stairclimber last night while Steve was on the elliptical, but after a few steps it was killing my back, so I marched in place and did my weight circuits until it was my turn on the elliptical again. I'm not doing weights this evening though, but I do want to get in some cardio.

Julie, great job on all the walking! How did your foot hold up through all of that? I hope all the walking means your heel is still doing well. I'd love to go to a motivational seminar. I have those cassette tapes that I listen to (when I get the chance), and I love them, so I can imagine what it would be like in person. That's great that you got to go. Do you feel extra-super motivated?

Betani, good job getting in that second walk! I find that if I don't do all my exercise in one jaunt, I don't do it, so WTG! Also, check the WalMart craft department for a measuring tape, that's where I found mind.

Purplefirefly, WTG with the Gazelle! I always want to take a nap too, but I never have time. I laid down on the couch after dinner, but I didn't let myself fall asleep or there would have been no exercise. It sounds like you have fun with your kids. Our house is circular like that too, and my Mom still chases us around occasionally (if we tease her by refusing to hug her or say "I love you" or something like that)--and my brother and I are 25 and 27! I always like to see families having fun together, there's not nearly enough of that anymore.

Joy, I usually cave to cheesecake too. It's just TOO good! I need to find a way to make calorie-free cheesecake, wouldn't that be awesome? But Purplefirefly is right--you did well, stayed within your points, and still enjoyed real food. That's the name of the game--learning to live this lifestyle without giving up everything we love.

Aunty EM, what did you learn about the gym? If you haven't done so already, you might want to see if they offer a trial membership--often they'll give you a free week or one session with a trainer or something like that. But it's good to check them out before you shell out the money--you might find that you never actually go, or that you don't like the atmosphere. And good job on the food and water! I always feel like that at work, even after just a weekend!

Did I miss anyone? I hope not. You know me, I'm not the best at commenting, but I promise to try!

Anyway, I've got to get to work. Have a great day, chicks! And keep up the good work!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #37  

Hi everybody,

Just a quick post (lost my first attempt grrr) I got up this morning and exercised for 30 minutes (free CD from WW) and did a 10 minute butt and thigh pilates w/o.

Everybody is doing great. I'm so proud.

Elisha - I make guacamole low cal by adding salsa ( qty. depending on your taste) adds spice and a few veggies too. YUM

Bentani - great going on the walking. Maybe you should just prepare for the midnight snack and have something healthy and nutritious waiting for you. for example a light cereal bar, rice cake w/peanut butter, crackers and cheese.

Purp - careful not to over do. Did you re-hydrate yourself while on the Gazelle... could have been what caused the head ache. Sounds like you and the kids have fun together. I'm an only child and so is DD so I tell you I'm not ready for it when DGSx2 come over and do circles through my livingroom, foyer, kitchen and diningroom.

Hi thought we should have some dicussions on the following topics.... seems like these areas need some attention from us.

6) Try not to leave more than three to four hours between times to eat. If you leave too much time, you'll overeat. For instance, eat a mid-afternoon snack to prevent you from eating too much at dinner.

7) Change your unhealthy habits gradually. Start by weaning yourself off any late-night junk food binges. Substitute them for low-fat desserts and snacks, eating no more than 1-2 servings at a time. Spend the following week practicing eating less and less until you no longer need the extra food.

8) Take it easy on the exercise as you start your physical activity program. It's easy to go gung-ho and end up hurting yourself. Be patient with your body, especially if you've been sedentary for a long time.

Well gotta get to work...

XOXO
Old 08-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #38  
Bound and Determined

Joy, I think discussions on topics is a good idea! Perhaps we could have a topic per day, or something like that. Just a suggestion. Or we could start up quotes and questions again. *shrugs*
Oh, as for adding salsa to the guacamole, I do. I usually add this avocado-mango salsa I found--it's awesome in guacamole, or as a chicken marinade (oh, and probably fish too), or in fajitas, but it's not so great plain (i.e. with tortilla chips). We just get it to cook with. It's a perfect complement for the guacamole, adds a little spice, and doesn't interfere with the avocado flavor that I love. Oh, and I like to add lots and lots and lots of garlic, and sometimes a dash of lime and some cilantro, if I'm feeling fancy.

6. As for eating every 3-4 hours, sometimes that is hard for me at work, not because I don't have food or don't have time, but because I don't want everyone else to see me eating more than anyone else in the building. I already have to deal with eating a sandwich AND a rice cake and being the one eating the most, and there's the girls eating a small baggie of green pepper strips for their lunch--it's ridiculous what some people think is healthy! I know that is a completely mental issue, but there it is. Also, I eat breakfast around 7-7:15am, then I'm usually ready for lunch right around 12, and I'm ok with that. I eat the food I've brought, and there's not much chance of overeating then.
But then there's dinner. I try to eat a snack around 4:30, because I'm hungry by then, and I generally eat something healthy (because I have to plan ahead and take it to work)--either string cheese, some fruit, or a rice cake. But then I get home and I still pig out at dinner. That's why I really want to start planning my dinners and making them in advance when I can when I get my house. At this point it's difficult, because I am not buying the groceries or doing the cooking, so it would take a lot of coordination on the part of my family to plan meals, and coordination is something my family has never been good at. But Mom and Steve both want to be healthy, and Dad will eat whatever we fix, so perhaps it will get better.

7. I've been weaning myself for a year and a half! I ran out of low-fat mayo this morning, and I've decided that the next jar I buy will be fat-free. I've already cut down on eating mayo, and probably will more when I switch to fat-free (because it doesn't taste nearly as good!), so that's good too. I recently switched to fat-free cheese, because I found that Kraft ff American actually tastes like real cheese. I just need to work on exercising regularly and controlling myself at dinner.

8. Again, I've been exercising off and on for a year and a half, so I'm not really starting from scratch. I'm actually working my way up, and I'm doing it in reasonable intervals. Steve, however, is not. He's just jumping right in and trying to do more than me. On the weight machine last night he was actually grunting trying to lift, and that means it's too much weight. But, he's a stubborn boy, and I'm just a silly girl--what do I know?--so I can't tell him anything about losing weight or eating right or exercising, regardless of the fact that it's my pet topic and I've been researching it all my life (and pretty much all day every day at work) and I've been at it longer than he has). Oy. *rolls her eyes* I bet he's sore today though, and rightly so. That's what he gets for not listening to the expert in the family. Maybe he'll wise up a bit.

OK, back to work for me.
~Elisha
Old 08-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #39  

Hey! I'm a little late starting the challenge, but here I am! I'm going to post my measurements hopefully tomorrow. I need to go to Wal-Mart to get a tape measure.

My focus is on eating.. watching portions and eating healthier. I'll post more tomorrow.

I, Jessica, do hereby commit myself to continue making healthful changes in my body during the next 12 weeks and beyond. I am continuing this adventure in order to lose weight, decrease my body fat, strengthen and tone my muscles, make my body stronger and healthier, and make my life longer and fuller. I will follow the 12-week plan, and I will incorporate other healthy strategies as well. I will eat right, I will exercise, and I will drink plenty of water. There will be times when I slip, but I will get right back on track. I will not allow minor setbacks to deter me. I will accomplish my goals.
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #40  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default So Proud...

of all of you! I wish I could say that I have done something positive today, but about the only thing I could think of is that I really, really wanted to stop at Starbucks or ARby's tonight and get something really fattening after a meeting at church...but I didn't! I came home and made a semi sugar free Mocha instead...and then ruined it with a toaster pastrie!! I also weighed myself today and it's NOT pretty! The scale said 178!!!! GASP!!! I know I'm up...I do...I just did NOT want to see that number!!! Now, I will deduct a few pounds for weighin in the afternoon (after lunch) with my shoes on, but still.....

I am thinking that when I get back from vacation, the journey is really going to kick in! My heel still hurts and all the walking/standing I do in my job (on cement floors) really doesn't help. I need an adhesive spray to tape the heel but no one in town carries it...and I am waiting until tomorrow for the one place to get it in (back ordered, wouldn't ya know?)... I do feel a bit discouraged still with the foot issue. It seems like it's been way too long for this thing to heal! I'm getting very impatient.

As far as the hiking goes...I know I have beat this subject to death, but it has been heavy on my mind...I will try to hike the first day, but if my body starts to "scream", I WILL stop! No point in torturing myself on vacation!

As far as the discussion goes...

6.) Eating every 3-4 hours is what I have to do...otherwise the blood sugars go a little crazy and I get VERY cranky!!

7.) Change your unhealthy habits gradually. I did this for about a year and in the last 3 months, it all has gone to heck in a handbasket. So guess what? I start over. My vacation goal is to make healthy choices...staying away from sugar desserts and alcohol (maybe one a day ) and choosing lower carb/calorie meals (salads with protein vs. hamburger and fries). That way when I get back, it won't be as difficult for me to get back on the bandwagon!

8.) Take it easy on the exercise as you start your physical activity program. No problem with this one!! I'm thinking I need to PUSH myself a little bit more, don't you??? Work through the pain...No pain no gain...all that crap!

Alright chickies...thanks for really motivating me (yup, Elisha...it's this kind of thing that motivates me...not a seminar...although Jerry Lewis was really funny! and it was kind of neat to hear Rudy Guiliani and Zig Ziglar speak!

That's all...chat with you all later!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #41  

Hi everyone

I managed to get my walk in this morning at coffee break I really miss the gardens when I don't walk, things change a little everyday.

6) I mostly have this under control too - maybe too much control in the evenings Seriously, tho I have problems sometimes after work. In the summer when there's so much to do around the place we don't end up eating dinner til 7, 8 or 9 sometimes. I usually eat lunch at 1-1:30 so that's a long time. I usually have a latte or something... but the something gets to be a great big habit. I'm an all or nothing kinda "gal". Today I had to go to the dentist after work (just a cleaning) and was starving when I got home. I finally ate about 2 oz of feta cheese while making the greek salad. Could have been worse, but I should try to have bran bars or fruit or something like that to grab when I'm that hungry, or for a planned snack

7) I'm really good as far as snacking goes except for after dinner. But getting to bed earlier is really helping me with this. I'm not eating at the computer either - even better. Gotta have water in here tho Next step ... gotta work on my bag a day light microwave popcorn habit.

8) Like you, Elisha, I have been at the exercise for quite some time. But I've tried to set myself a minimum that I can feel good about doing every day and not feel guilty for doing more. If I want to do more I can - consistency and tenacity are my problem. So we'll see how this approach works.

Well I'm off to watch Canadian Idol, water my flowers and get at least one housekeeping item done (and finish reading emails).

Good work everyone.

XOXO
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #42  

Not only did I stick to my exercise schedule today, but I got way more in than I ever would have by putting it off until the evening as usual I did 3 miles on the gazelle first thing this morning, WATP 4 miles while the kids napped, and 3 more on the gazelle while watching evening TV after kids went to sleep. Whew....feels good but I am tired. I don't think I'll do that many miles every day, but I felt good today so just kept going.

Now if I can just keep going and make it a routine, consistent, all that good stuff.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #43  

Success for me again today! Yipee! I didn't have a snack in the afternoon so there was a long time between lunch and dinner BUT I had a really big glass of ice cold water around 3:00 and I think that saved me. A lady at work gave me 12 large tomatoes and 4 long cucumbers so when I got home I quickly made a tomatoe/cucumber/onion salad with light mayo and ate some of that, (a lot), while I was making the rest of the dinner. I was full from the salad so I didnt' have too much of the substantial, fattening dinner. It worked out okay!

The gym is in the basement of the building I work in. It is very well equiped and there is a nice shower with a blow dryer for your hair and everything. The charge is only $25.00 per year so it is very affordable! The only downside to it is that I will be exercising with a lot of the people that I work with..... I SWEAT LIKE A PIG!!!! I will be the only one there with rivers of sweat pouring down me and I will be embarrased. Well, I will have to get over that - they say "Pride goeth before a fall".

Wow, I sure am impressed with everyone's progress and enthusiasm! Tons of great ideas and support too. I just know we will all be successful!

I have a very old Weight Watchers recipe - It is called "Low Cal Cheese Pie". It resembles Cheesecake, but doesn't have anywhere near the calories. It is pretty good if you are really craving the cheesecake!

Low Cal Cheese Pie:

1 cup pineapple chunks - with juice
1 package unflavored gelatin
2 cups 2% Cottage Cheese
5 packages of Splenda
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of lemon juice

Blend in blender untill smooth and creamy, (don't underblend).
Spray pie plate, (glass is best), with Pam. Pour blended mixture in the to pie plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes - starts to get brown around the edges. Test with knife.
Chill
Makes 8 servings, (1 serving equals 1 protein and 1/4 fruit on the old WW system).

Heat up a little all-fruit jam and drizzle over the top for extra flavour.
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #44  

Red face

Okay ... so I'm back (I admit it I'm addicted) but I had to welcome Jessica aboard.

Julie - we must have posted at the same time... I was wondering where you were. I think you've got a good attitude and good plans for your vacation. We have to be able to live our lives and know that we don't have to use vacations as an excuse to over indulge for the duration. I think a plan to maintain your current weight is a good plan. Then when you get back you will feel successful and continue on program. only my two cents worth.

WHO HOO !!! On that exercise Purp...

Thanks for the YUMMY recipe Aunty Em. I don't think you'll need to worry about the "prespiration" everyone there that is really "working out" is sweaty too - me I head sweat ... runs down my back... runs in my eyes... and I get red in the face too...

Well it's really goodnight now.... it's 57 minutes to pumpkin and counting
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #45  
Bound and Determined

Morning chickies!

Yesterday was good. The downward trend in calories is still continuing, so that is good, even though I'm still a little higher than I would like to be. I think I came in around 1870 or so yesterday, so I'm getting better, and that's what counts.

Water was good again yesterday. Exercise was good too, though not what I had planned. Steve had yesterday off from work, so he exercised during the day instead of waiting to exercise with me in the evening. So I mowed the lawn for about 20 minutes, and Steve bought us new baseball mits yesterday, so we played catch for an entire hour, and would have played longer if it hadn't gotten dark. So there wasn't strenuous exercise yesterday, but I did work up a good sweat, so I'm counting it. If I can do something like that on my off-days, I will be a very happy girl. It probably didn't hurt my muscle tone either! Tonight is elliptical and weight machine, or at least some form of cardio.

Breakfast was rather high-calorie today, because I'm out of my reduced-calorie bread and we only had 12-grain bread in the house: 200 calories instead of my usual 70. But it's ok, I have a lower-cal lunch, and probably leftovers for dinner, so I'll be able to limit what I eat.

Steve and I have decided to start getting up earlier. I want to work out in the mornings, and he wants to go to work earlier to get in some overtime. We've been getting up progressively earlier anyway--I wake up automatically around 5:45 now. Granted, I generally roll over and go back to sleep for a while, but I could get up if I wanted to. So if we just get up a little earlier every day it'll be easy. I really really really want to get up and exercise in the mornings, I think that would be so beneficial for me. I'll keep working on it.

Everyone is doing so well! I'm so proud of you all! This is going to be the best challenge yet, I can just tell! It seems like we've all found out motivation and determination once again, and that is definitely a good thing. Let's do this!

Joy, WTG with the walking! You sound just as determined as I am these past few days! Enjoy the gardens! You're lucky to have that. My office is in the middle of nowhere, and the only thing around us is construction, so it's kind of hard to walk here. There aren't even sidewalks, and the way people drive on this road it would be way too dangerous to walk, so I've got to get in my exercise at home. I keep looking at the times you post and seeing 12am and wonder how you stay up so late all the time... then I remember that not everyone on the planet is in my time zone!

Aunty EM, thanks for the recipe! That sounds easy and yummy! I'll have to try it! Do you have any idea how many calories are in a serving? If not it's fine, I can figure it out, I'm just curious. That tomato and cucumber salad sounds good too--I just love tomatoes and cucumbers together! We usually put ours in cottage cheese, sometimes with a green pepper and carrots--that salad goes fast at my house! And I agree with Joy about the gym thing--everyone sweats, that's kind of the point. And really, people are more concerned with themselves at the gym than they are with everyone else (or at least they should be!), so they probably won't even notice. In most cases, they'll be proud of you for taking the initiative to change your body and get healthier.

Purple, GREAT JOB!!! on the exercise! You are really moving! I do that too with exercise, if I feel good I just keep going. Don't wear yourself out though. But you're right, consistency is the big thing here. Keep up the good work!

Julie, good job denying the Arby's/Starbucks cravings! Arby's is usually the one that gets me... And your heel will get better. It sounds like you've got a great plan for your vacation, then when you get back you can join us "full force!"

Jessica, welcome to the new challenge! I'm sure we'll be congratulating you on your successes next time you post!

OK, I've got to get to work! I actually have things to do today! But I'll be back later!
Have a good one, chickies!
~Elisha