Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #1  

Default anyone up for a running challenge?

I just bought a new treadmill, and I can tell you they make great clothing racks.

Is anyone out there new to running, too - and interested in a little co-encouragement/goal-setting?
krisinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I would definitely be up for trying! Right now I do the treadmill twice a week and am upping my mileage but we could set goals for intensity too. Let me know what you think.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 AM   #3  

i'm about to jump on the treadmill right now...i've managed to run about 20 minutes at a good clip (abt. 4.5 MPH - i'm a shortie, so that's an average run! but i can handle 5 MPH, for a few minutes. i hope to work up to the faster speed for the entire duration).

how's your speed/time coming along?

Old 03-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I am in. I have run in the past and am trying to get into it consistantly again. Unfortunately just as I was getting in to the swing of things again my gym membership ran out on Saturday. I don't really like running out in the cold so I could definitely use some motivation to keep going.

I was running about 3mi at a 4.5mph pace (I'm tall and slow) which is a 13:20 mile. I am going to try and run 3-4 miles on the road and time myself to see what my pace is there. Hopefully about the same. I would like to improve my time some so I don't have to spend so long just to get a couple miles in!

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #5  

Hi Ladies,
Tahoeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #6  

Yes, that was me. I am a horrible typist and hit the wrong button. I would love to do a running challenge. Last year I completed a half marathon at a very slow pace. I refer to myself as a plodder, which is somewhere between a jog and a walk. I am starting outside training in mid April, so I would love the motivation to get on the treadmill. Maybe my pace will pick up this year. (oh and I haven't done a mile since October when I crossed the finish line).
Tahoeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #7  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I dont have a tredmill at home but at our local community center I work out on one and Ive been doing great on my time and my MPH. I was there yesterday and I wanted to yell out that whoo hoo Ive bested my time by 15 seconds but didnt want people to look at me like I was crazy. I follow the time and the total of miles I run I usually run a mile but then hit the eliptical and the bike for additional miles.
I love the run I get a really good sweat on when I run.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #8  

Yay we've got some interest here! Last week I did 5 miles on the treadmill for the first time (between 6-6.8mph) but this week I've been going shorter distances (3.1 on Tuesday and 1 mile today) but increasing to 7-8mph for intervals. When I started running I was doing 5mph and have worked up.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #9  

Now, I know I'm a newbie...but I'm so excited that I just ran 1.5 miles at 4.5 (I'm 5'4" tall, so that speed has me really jumping!)...and although it pales in comparision to what you all are doing, I'm so INSPIRED by all of you!!! And look at your weight loss! You're all amazing!!! :-)

By the way, do any of you use the free online running log at:
http://www.coolrunning.com/log/index.shtml

Old 03-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #10  

I'm in, I just signed up for a 5k. I know I will be walking part of it, and am totally ok with that, but would like to run atleast 1 mile of it. I've been snowshoeing 1.5 - 2 miles most days for the past few weeks, with yoga & weights on days I can't make it outside. I was hoping to do the couch-5k plan from cool running but can't stand making the time switches on the treadmill. Once the snow is gone, I'm going to try and run on my path - although the mud will make it much harder.
Momadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #11  

That online running site is very cool. I have a running log calendar that I've been writing my mileage in and it has tips and stuff like that so it's helpful in motivation. Don't want to have a blank week, you know. My boyfriend and I are signing up for a 5-k together too and I am very excited to do it. Not sure how he's feeling about it haha.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #12  

how have you all gone about building up your distance/speed? do you just take one day/week to really challenge yourself, and keep the other increases slight?

by the way - to those of you running 5-6 miles...how long did it take you to get to your target distance/speed?

Old 03-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Ran four miles outside yesterday at a 13:09 min/mi slightly faster then on the treadmill. I am hoping to start decreasing my time as I get in better shape and am hoping to run a half marathon in the fall.

krisinnyc: don't worry about your speed and distance both are actually very good for someone who is just starting out running. You will find your speed picking up as you get in better shape. Also consider doing intervals. They are supposed to help increase your speed and will allow you to go longer distance as you are buidling up endurance. Maybe try a longer distance with intervals one day a week? Walking is not cheating! However, usually I do my intervals at a fast jog/slow jog speed so I feel I am working harder. Each week decrease your slow interval time and increase your fast interval time. (for example 5 min fast:5 min slow intervals then the next week 6 min fast:4 min slow). This is how lots of beginning runners build distance. Since you can already run 1.5mi may you should just adjust a beginner program to where you are at.

Momadance: I think the Couch 2 5K program is great too, but a total pain on the treadmill to switch times (Maybe do longer intervals so you don't have to change so often?)
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #14  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

What a great thread! I started running a few months ago but had to stop because of an injury(non running related). I am just getting back into it and am very happy that I can run for 27 min w/out stopping. I am going to do 30 for the next few times until it's comfortable and start doing intervals. Maybe I am doing intervals incorrectly because I don't keep my endurance if I do intervals and can't run as long.

So my trainer claims running on a treadmill is easier. I'm not sure I agree. any thoughts?
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #15  
Bread is my Enemy.

Hi Kris! I'm in nyc too, can ya tell? I just started a running program @ www.nikerunning.com, I really like it because it challenges me to go to the next level which is something I could never do to myself. My goal is to run the entire revlon runwalk for breast cancer on april 30th, you should do the 6-week program and go too, it will be 5k and it will start in times square. In the meantime I will be on the treadmill following whatever nike tells me to do. Happy running!

I never knew I could be a runner, now i'm on my way! yahoOo! lol
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote