Old 01-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Thank you, Munchey, for starting this new thread and creating the spreadsheet. Glad to see new and returning folks here with renewed commitment to better health. I'm at 211 currently with the goal of 190 by April 1. I've signed up for a 5K in March so I'm using it as part of my motivation.

Here's to a successful kick-off to 2018!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 196/158/150

Height: 5' 6"

Heidi58 So sorry to hear that you have AS. That sounds hard! I'm trying to eat less animal protein also, but I have a family to feed and they expect certain things. I am moving more towards becoming a vegequarian (fish eater) rather than a strict vegetarian. So far, I'm not entirely successful at this.

unwanted37lbs Good for you, giving up sugars! I have given up cane sugar and I also limit fruit to only what's in season and only occasionally.

Good luck with your goals everybody!
magistra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #33  
Be happy.

Hello ladies!

I put my starting weight in this morning. I'm up a few pounds, I think it's from my shingles Rx but that will give me a little edge on losing my 20 lbs, right? I finish the prescription this week and hopefully my body will get back to normal.

grannynancy, I hear you on the cold weather and exercise! I was just fussing because it's been too cold (and icy) to walk, snow shoe or x-country ski for more than a week now. I have been playing on my wii fit instead but it doesn't give me that same great feeling I get from being outdoors. It's warmer today ("Real Feel 4 degrees") and supposed to warm up even more this week. I will sure appreciate that!

Diana, writing down what I eat works really well for me too. When I'm tempted to eat something off plan knowing I'll have to put it down in black and white often gives me that extra boost of will power!

Good luck everyone - we've got this!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #34  
Starting to lose

S/C/G: 298/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'd love to join if thats ok. I didn't weigh in this morning, so it will be a Monday morning weigh in for me. Highest I've ever been, having gained almost 30 lbs since August. No time like the present to get rid of it!
shea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #35  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Excellent plan. I'm in!
Back here after about 4 years, and after gaining heaps in the last two. It needs to come off, and will take all year. Calorie counting started on 5th Jan so looking forward to being motivated by this challenge
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 262/226/135

What is everyone using for tracking? I started using MyFitnessPal again. I has worked for me in the past and I find it easy to use ( and free) Let me know if any of you are using it, Would love to have some online tracking support/friends.

shea5: I am with you, I also put on 20lb in 2017. didn't log in to MyFitnessPal and took off my fitbit, it was ugly....! But we ( I ) can not focus on the past, only today and we are back on track being here: )

grannynancy: Weather here is also been in the -'s with snow and ice. I have been doing Low Impact walking, stretching and yoga videos for free on Amazon Prime in the warmth of my Living Room. Not quite the same but it is keeping me moving.
BellaLuce4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

BellaLuce - I am using Cronometer. I paid $2.99 for the ad free version with other features and I think it runs circles around MFP. I am not sure about the community features though but I use one of the daily accountability threads here
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Hi Everyone!

Welcome new participants! If you need any help with the spreadsheet, let me know. The first post, in this thread, has all the essential details.
Beginning this week, I'll make a weekly Weigh-In Sheet available, as part of the Spreadsheet Workbook. Once you have your start weight established on the "Stat Sheet", all you will need to do thereafter is to post your current weight on the unique Weigh-In Sheet for each week.

I've been off to a bit of a rocky start. I did manage to succeed Monday night, with a 12-hour fast, between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. this morning. The 12-hour fast will benefit me in a couple of extra ways. It will help me to comply with not eating 2 hours before bedtime and night eating in general. It's easier for me to delay eating in the morning, but I struggle with wanting to graze like a cow at night. I know it's a habit, and I need to establish a new habit.

I've been getting part of my exercise from volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center (a lot of walking). They just resumed classes this week, after a 3-week break. Unfortunately, rain has caused the classes to be cancelled for the last 2 days. The classes were cancelled yesterday, because of rain. I should have went with an alternate plan and gone to the gym, but I didn't. Today is a new day, it's raining again. My plan is to go to the gym.

I hope everyone is off to a good start this week. But remember, most people rarely reach their goals or change habits in a straight line. It takes time to establish new habits. In order to get rid of certain habits, we need to replace them with new habits. Each time we slip, we have a new opportunity to get back with our plan. The sooner we put a slip behind us, the better.

I noticed a discussion on calorie counters. The article below might prove interesting to read.

Review of the 5 best calorie counter websites and apps:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...lorie-counters

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albu[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albu
Ange82much:
Welcome to the challenge! Calorie counting is a good basic strategy. I listened in on a conversation this morning about measuring your food portions. I know I fall into the category of someone who can tend to underestimate the accurate portion size and actual calories I'm consuming.

Curvynotlumpy:
Good to see you in the challenge. A 5K sounds like great motivation to help you reach your goals!

Shea5:
Welcome! I'm glad you are joining us. I added your name to the spreadsheet. Just add your starting weight and a goal for 4-1-18. If you need help with the spreadsheet, let us know.

GrannyNancy:
Periodic water retention is something I've grown to expect, although it can still be disappointing to see a noteable gain when you have been good. But, it will eventually swing back in the righ direction, with a nice loss.

I hope the weather heats ua a bit for you

Heidi58:
Sorry you have been dealing with shingles. Sounds like since you finished your meds, that things are improving. Hope you don't get a reoccurrence.

Uwanted37lbs:
Thanks for telling us a little about yourself and sharing your strategy. You sound very busy. Best wishes with your goal! If I did the math right, you are aiming for a weekly loss of 2.75 pounds. That's ambitious. I'm sure you will be set for a slimmer you this Spring. Does "THM" stand for "Trim Healthy Mama" diet?

Workinglikeadog:
Writing down what you eat can really be an eye opener. The 12-hour fast is supposed to have multiple benefits.:
Improved Brain Health.
Enhanced Detoxification.
Reduced Inflammation
Weight Loss/Weight Management

munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #39  
learning maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchey View Post
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"]Hi Everyone!

The article below might prove interesting to read.

Review of the 5 best calorie counter websites and apps:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...lorie-counters

Hi Munchey and thanks for all your work on this thread. Looking forward to Sunday's weigh-in (which is almost a day earlier for me compared to most, as I live in Australia, so i'm expecting to be first to the spreadsheet update!!).
Bad luck that you're volunteering was cancelled this week - that's frustrating, but a great idea for lots of reasons (exercise, getting out and about, community service) - good for you!
I'm using the only 'window's phone' calorie counting ap available to me because I only have a work phone and it hardly has any aps! (Don't want to have to use a tablet/laptop for this). Anyway, it's not bad and i'm happy to keep using it. Good luck with your fasting tonight.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #40  

Ange82much:

Best wishes with your weigh-in this week. Sounds like you will be the leader of the pack. I believe it's Summer for you right now. Is that correct?

I used to use a work-provided cell phone for a few years. It was actually a basic dumb cell phone. When I finally bought my own phone, I bought a Nokia phone with the Windows operating system. I really liked Windows for phones, but when My phone battery wore out, I bought a new phone with Android. There is a lot I miss about my Windows phone; but, sadly, it doesn't have much of a future. I think Windows got into the phone business too late. Since they don't have a significant share of the market, no one wants to develop apps for that platform.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #41  
learning maintenance

yep, summer here, it was 116F a couple of days ago, then thunderstorms, and now about 75F which is much better,but won't last. At least the salads options are appealing
Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 196/158/150

It's nice that it's raining here. The rain is much needed. However, it makes me want to curl up in bed with a hot cup of tea. I feel so sleepy. It feels hard to stay alert.

munchey good for you having an alternate plan for exercise during the rain!

ange82much I love summer, except for when it gets too hot. It does seem so much easier to eat salad during the summer.
magistra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #43  
learning maintenance

I had a sneak mid-week preview on the scales this morning, and a couple of lb's are gone. yay!! it's always going to be easier in the first week, and I've really stuck to my 1000cal so would be disappointed if I hadn't lost some, but still, it's nice to imagine that 2lb as a bag of sugar or something, and now it's not on me anymore Anyone else going well this week?

Last edited by ange82much; 01-10-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #44  

HEY EVERYONE!

The Weigh-In sheet for this week's weigh in is up. All you have to do is enter your current weight, then the formulas will take over (I hope).

I got to the gym yesterday. There is the predictable New Year's crowd, and lots of people touring the facility. I'll be glad when it dies down.

The rainstorm has passed, so I'll be heading over to the riding center to walk with some horses.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Ange82much:
I'm glad your week is going well! I like you plan to "rediscover wardrobe". I can relate to shopping in your closet. You can really surprise yourself with what you forgot you had, especially with weight fluctuation.

Wow, 116F is really hot. I really hope the temps stay at lot closer to 75F than the 116! I'm glad you are having a good season for Salads. I'm fortunate that in California, we have good options for salads and veggies all year around.

Magistra17:
I know what you mean about the rainy days. We have had so many sunny days with good weather, that the change can put you in a bit of a slump and sap your energy.

Last edited by munchey; 01-10-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #45  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I would like to join! Though, I wont have much to talk about I don't think. I just started the Ideal Protein cheaper way of doing things. I lost 50 pounds last year, working towards it on and off. Fell off the wagon more than I'd like to admit. So, still working on it! And, challenges are always fun!

As of the 7th my SW is 241. My GW for the first of April is 30 pounds. I feel that'd attainable as it's a 2 lb loss a week. Which will have me at 211!!!

I added my name at the bottom of the sheet cause I don't want to mess it up and wasn't sure what to do lol. Thank you for this! New year new start!

Last edited by ButterCup85; 01-11-2018 at 12:26 AM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote