Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #31  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Rie - How exciting to be at the packing stage! Here's to the typhoon being gone for your arrival.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 AM   #32  
Beginning Lifter

S/C/G: 196/---/135

Height: 5'8" Pear Shape

Yikes, failed at heading towards goal this week Up 1.5lbs. I know where I went wrong though, so at least there's that! I am in the week leading up to my period and that's where my snacking-dragon revs up the worst and I definitely indulged it more than I should. Also, my birthday cake and birthday dinner happened this week, eeps! Work outs were good though, so that's a plus point!
graciey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

I'm determined to do better with my exercise this next week. I slacked off a bit this week. I seemed to be extra tired this week. In horse terms, I've kind of felt like I've been "road hard and put away wet"

I've had sleep problems - hard to fall asleep and then keep waking up. I'm trying different things, like melatonin and another supplement. I'm going to try a nice warm bath, before bedtime, with some epsom salts and lavender oil.

I plan on phasing back into meditation this week. Hopefully, it will help me manage stress better.

I'm working on adjusting my snacking habits. I had gotten into a habit of buying and eating "Skinny Pop" Popcorn. I caught one too many sales (couldn't pass up a good sale). I didn't buy any this last week and went back to making my own popcorn by using a paper sandwich bag and popping it in the microwave. Then, I add a little bit of coconut oil spray, some spices and a little light salt.

Well, lots of improvement thoughts. Now, I just need to implement them.

How is everyone else doing?
Naughty

RIE
Taking an empty 2nd suitcase sounds like a good idea. Hope the weather works in your favor for when you land and for the entire vacation

Gemini6

I hope the scale is treating you well and that you are getting in your 3-4 miles. I've slacked off a bit, so I definitely need to pick up the pace.

Chunkahlunkah
Have you used any type of tracking device, other than a Fitbit? In some ways my Fitbit is like my security blanket for fitness, lol. Generally it motivates me and gives me reinfocement. Other times, it can make be feel guilty.

graciey
Happy belated birthday! That calls for a few treats. Hope the snacking-dragon tames for you this next week. I know how easy it can be to get into snacking habits.

munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #34  
Shorty getting fit

Graciey - Honestly, I'd be proud to be up just 1.5 pounds during a week that featured both pms-snack attacks AND bday celebrations. Some of that is most likely just water weight too. Back at it now! You got this. A belated Happy Bday to you!

munchey - That gif. Like Rie, I'm also heading on vacation. I'm rly short (only 4'11") so I often feel like that chihuahua with luggage. I leave on Saturday for London, am off the charts excited. The only tracking device I've ever used is my iPhone to track my steps. So I make a point of bringing it with me on long walks to check my mileage. I'd be curious to wear a fitbit that includes a heart rate monitor so that I can see how many calories I burn during my Beachbody workouts. Your method for popcorn sounds really good, btw. I've never made it in the microwave in a paper bag, but now that you've opened my eyes to it, I'd like to. So does it just go in dry in the bag and it pops well like that? I hope your sleep improves; poor sleep is no bueno, no bueno at all.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 09-18-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #35  

Chunkahlunkah

Have a wonderful vacation in London. Stay safe and observant. I haven't tried using my phone for tracking movement. I might try an app and compare cell phone movement tracking with my Fitbit.

Interesting to see one of the instructors at the therapeutic horsebacking center wear a holster on her thigh to hold her cell phone. Guess you could wear your phone in a holster slung around your waste, lol. I'm hooked on talk radio and have had to evolve to using phone apps. It was so much easier with the little AM/FM radio (with headphones), that I could clip onto a waistband.

Regarding the popcorn: You have to do a little experimenting with your personal microwave, as the power level can differ. With mine, 70% power level works best. I set the timer for 5 minutes, and make sure I stay close to the microwave, after 3 minutes. After a few trial runs, you will get used to the popping pattern. It takes a couple of minutes to start popping, then it has a few lags in popping, before you get to the optimum state. Once you get it perfected, you might want to record the power level and timing. There can be a little variation towards the end. My microwave has a feature to add an extra 30 seconds to the time, and sometimes I use it.

The paper bag I use, is a traditional brown paper bag, which is usually referred to as "lunch bag size". I place approx. 1/4 cup of kernals in the bag. Then, I fold the ends over twice and then tear a little tab in the center of the folded area. I position the tab, so it secures the opening. If the bag doesn't tear, you might be able to use it a couple of time before discarding.

I place a full-sized paper plate on top of the glass plate in my microwave (not the flimsy ones). I set the paper bag on top of the paper plate. The rim of the paper plate elevates the paper bag, so that it isn't sitting directly on the glass. When it finishes cooking, I immediately remove the bag and open the end to let the heat out. Just be careful and expect it to be hot and some steam/heat escapes. I do that, because sometimes too much heat can build up in the center of the popcorn and burn some of them (once you find the optimum power setting for your microwave, it should reduce that possibility).

I place my popped popcorn in a large baggie, so I open up the ends of the paper bag, shake it a bit and let it cool for a couple of minutes (hot unpopped kernals will melt holes in the plastic baggie, if I don't wait). If you use a bowl, you can place the popped popcorn in it immediately.

Then, you dress up your popcorn. I like to use coconut oil cooking spray, but you can use other cooking spray options. Sometime, I've used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. You don't want to use too much, and can experiment with the right level for you. Sometime, I just use a little oil spray and some light salt. Other times I add spices that they use on barbacued chips. Occasionally, when I just use the spray oil and light salt, I'll add a few dried apple pieces.

Expect to have a few failures, before you get the time perfected for your microwave. I like to buy the plastic jar of Orville Reddenbacher. If you keep the kernals in the refrigerator, they stay fresh longer and pop better. Making the popcorn this way, lowers the calories and saves a lot of money in the long run. I had to do a reality check regarding the "Skinny Pop" popcorn I was buying. I can eat approximately twice the amount of popcorn, when I make it myself, with the paper bag (or put in other terms, cut the calories in half).
Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #36  
Shorty getting fit

munchey - Thanks so much for the tutorial; that'll be a big help! I've recently been listening to a lot of talk radio. My job forbids phones or mp3 players, but it does allow radios and cd players. I pretty much listen to NPR all day. It helps the day fly.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #37  

Hey Eveyone!

I know we are all going to miss Rie and will be limping along while she is in Japan for two weeks. Let's keep the momentum of the challenge going! I took a stab at posting a status chart below for challenge week that finished on 9-17-17. I'm sure I made some mistakes, and there could be errors on the stats, as they appear below. So, forgive me for my mistakes in advance:

Congrats everyone for you accomplishments. Remember, we are really in a challenge against ourselves. We don't fail, unless we quit trying. We are always going to have some bad weeks, and at times a succession of bad weeks. When we hang in there, pick ourselves up and continue the good fight, we are always glad down the road when we can smile at the scale again.

It's too quiet around here. Stop by and chat about how things are going for you. Do you have some successes to post about? Maybe you need support and some ideas on breaking some bad habits?

Let's get some posting going! Let rock this challenge!

Last edited by munchey; 09-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #38  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

That was a first. I never used Google-docs before that. Hopefully I'll not only get the challenge met, but figure out how to keep my updates entered. Idk if it's sufficient to just report on the thread?
my goal is 10# for this challenge.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire2b View Post
That was a first. I never used Google-docs before that. Hopefully I'll not only get the challenge met, but figure out how to keep my updates entered. Idk if it's sufficient to just report on the thread?
my goal is 10# for this challenge.

Hi Desire2B:
Welcome to the challenge! This is Riestrella's challenge (AKA: Rie). She just started a vacation, and will be gone for 2 weeks. I think if you have a problem with entering your weekly weight on the spreadsheet, you can post your weight and ask someone to help you make a spreadsheet entry. The challenge instructions are in the first post.

Last edited by munchey; 09-19-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #40  
Beginning Lifter

S/C/G: 196/---/135

Height: 5'8" Pear Shape

Thanks for the birthday wishes and positive words ladies! I'm feeling more in control of my cravings this week, but I haven't popped onto the scale yet to see how things are going. I've been taking advantage of the last little slip of summer and doing some good day hikes, but the weather here is getting cold so fast! It feels more like winter than fall in the early AM!

I've never tried making popcorn in a paper lunch bag like that, it sounds like a good idea for me to try out. Making it yourself rather than buying a bag is a good way to know what all ingredients are going into the flavouring for sure.
graciey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #41  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Munchey ~ I love the graphics! So festive! Thank you for posting the spreadsheet results. I came in at the bottom of the pack last week, but I joined Weight Watchers and lost 3.8 this week, so hopefully I will "show" better on next week's sheet!
You are so right, though. This challenge is a reflection on our desire to meet our short term goal. It is a motivator for sure.

Congratulations to shortsarcastichobbit, Tefrey and Gemini6 for the top 3 leads!

And a round of applause for all who are staying in the race 'til the end!!!! Happy Hauntings!
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #42  

HI EVERYONE! HOW ARE THINGS GOING FOR YOU?

So far, so good this week with exercise. I got in 5.7 miles on Monday (walked the dog & the volunteered at the horseback riding center), and got close to 4 miles on Tuesday (some walking + cardio at the gym). Today, I'm just getting in some activity/exercise around home.

My food has been better this week as well. I've managed to tame my nighttime snacking for the last few evenings. I've stayed away for Popchips and have had my paper bag microwave popcorn on a couple of occasions, in a reasonable portion.

I've been successful a couple of times with the "postponing technique" (wait 15-20 minutes before having something, or having a 2nd portion). I've used eating a couple of raw almonds and/or raw walnuts to tide me over, when I actually feel hungry or have the munchies. I've had some successes with the almonds and walnuts. By the time I mindfully eat a couple nuts, slowly, I've avoided eating some other things. I, sometime, like to have a diet Dr. Pepper along with the nuts. It might sound "nuts", but I guess we all have our little snacks that can tantalize our taste buds and tame our appetite.

MorningGlory1950

I'm glad that you are having a great start to a new week. I hope you hold onto the 3.8 lb. loss, but don't be disappointed if it's a lesser amount for the week.

I know I have to NOT weigh too often, because for me, it can be counterproductive to see my personal weight fluctuate up and down. Sometimes, I want to beat up the scale and other times I want to hug it. When I limit my weighing to once a week, the scale and I get along better, LOl

Graciey
I'm glad that you feel more in control this week. I seem to have better control myself. It's great that you are enjoying some hikes this week.

I live in California, so feeling "Fall in the air" for me is thinking of powering down the fans to a low level and perhaps bringing out some tee shirts/blouses with short sleeves (instead of sleeveless)

Chunkahlunkah
Do you use a computer at work? I used to occasionally plug headphones into my computer and listened to podcasts, while I did other work on the computer.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #43  
Shorty getting fit

Thanks for the chart, Munchey!

I use a computer but I work in a high security area, so our computers only give us access to internal email & sites. I love podcasts! Maybe at the next job. I took this one as a temp job bc I wanted something low-stress as I did my grad school application process.

You're rocking it this week!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #44  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Signing up again for accountability and group support. My son is off to college and I am feeling more centered, able to focus on myself. I am trying to eat mindfully with no snacking after dinner. With fall upon us, my exercise program is changing to dvd's a little at a time. Today was my first 30 min lift, as soon as I got up (and before I am totally awake). I am still able to walk outside for a while longer, but with 34 temps. in the morning and rain that may change soon.

While I know I won't be a top three contender (you rock Short, Tefrey, Gem, Mama and Laura), I am happy to continue my journey to my healthiest weight and to stay there with healthy habits. Congrats to all who have dropped weight.

Thank YOU Munchey for keeping us motivated as well as entertained, you are appreciated.
workinglikeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #45  

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! It's the first day of Fall. Anyone have a favorite Fall recipe to share?

Last week, I made one of my quick soups that I hadn't made for a long time (my quick version of Manhattan Clam Chowder). In a large pan I put the following: A very large can of clams, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced potatoes and then I add vegetables of choice (usually frozen mixed veggies). I make it thick, like a stew. I like to spice it up with some Sriracha sauce. Last time I made it, I cut off some kernels from fresh corn on the cob. Other times, I might add some shrimp. You can customize it with what you like. I like soup, so it makes a tasty and filling meal that's easy to fix. Sometimes, I put a little string cheese chunks in my bowl and let it melt.

Wow, the year is flying by. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and my neighbor has way too many trees. They don't do yard work, so whatever leaves their mow guy scoops up every 2 weeks, that's all that gets cleaned up. The prevailing winds tend to blow everyone's grass cuttings, leaves and trash in my front yard. I get frustrated with the daily flow of leaves that blow into my yard.

My latest approach is to just embrace the situation and look at "leave cleanup" as an exercise for me. If I clean up leaves daily, it's less bothersome. So, on average, I pick up a bucket of leaves a day from my front yard (exercising my core by bending over and picking up). Instead of getting upset about the leaves, I'm trying to look at it as motivation to exercise my core and remain flexible (with the bend over & scoop it up approach). If I skip a couple of days, then's it's an opportunity to exercise with a rake, lol.