Old 09-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

HEY EVERYONE!
It's nice to see so many additional people join the challenge! I'm happy with my progress, so far. I lost 3 pounds this week. It can be motivating to have a good first week. Hope we all continue to make progress towards our goals. Hope everyone has a good weigh-in and a great 2nd week ahead!
Munchey

Chunkahlunkah:
I'm glad you and your brother had a good time coloring/drawing. A great wall to chill out!

Crow:
I think most of us share the same problem with gaining weight back. I'm thinking we all need to keep holding ourselves accountable with like-minded people, even when the goal is to maintain. Mainenance takes an ongoing effort, just like weight loss does.

Flower1:
We are all have different size goals, but support at all levels is beneficial. Best wishes with your goal.

Mimi35:
Hang in there. I was really inching along with weight-loss a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes, shaking up your exercise routine/strategy and varying calorie intake can shake things up.

I watched a bit of Batchelor in Paradise, but generally got tired of all the crying. I have to admit I've been watching "dating naked". The camera blurs out all the private parts. I find that it tends to be less scripted and the interactions appear to be more spontaneous.

Nightowlrn:
I like the pumpkin. Good job on the bicycle mileage. It can be challenging to eat out and sometimes tough to get a low-cal meal that is tasty and satisfying. (especially when we don't have control on the restaurant choice).

rebelle:

Good job with your shopping! I haven't always had control with Popchips, but I've made some progress. I love the barbecue ones, love spicy. I've evolved to allowing myself a periodic controlled portion. The spicy treat is good to use for "mindful eating" practice. I take tiny bites and savor each bit and eat slowly and mindfully. It is an interesting contrast to previous times when I just ate fast and wolfed down several more portions.

SusieMartin:
Good to see another person join in! Sounds like you are prepared to make things happen.

Last edited by munchey; 09-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #47  
learning to love myself

S/C/G: 295/ticker/169

Height: 5'10

Welcome to the challenge everyone!!!

Oh Rie how did the move go? It may have been a while back now but last I remember you were packing everything which is always super stressful!

Random scale question for anyone who weighs in at home - does your scale change every time you get on it? Or does my scale just suck? Literally within the same 10 seconds I can get on, weigh one thing, get off and get back on and be up to 3 lbs heavier or lighter. I don't know if maybe it's a shifting weight thing or how I stand or if I just need to buy a new scale...
Suggestions for a better scale maybe? It's kind of driving me crazy
:
Kay7jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 184/170/150

Height: 5'4

Talking

Good Morning everyone - I entered my stats in the spreadsheet and I see everyone is doing very well.

I am doing a combination of two diets the Dr. Bernstein which is very low calorie and the Ketogenic Diet which is Low Carb, moderate protein, and high fat and it has been working great for me. I am not feeling deprived which is important to me because that feeling will make me cheat. I eat approx 1000 cal a day, 5% Carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. As I get to my goal weight I will increase my calories however I will be staying with the percentages and hopefully I will be Keto Adapted and that will be my new eating regime. Does that sound crazy?

Before the challenged started I bought a new scale because mine never seemed to move, I was the same weight for 5 days in a row and when I stepped on the new scale I was 1.5 pounds heavier . One thing the new scale measures is total body fat, let me tell you that is one scary number and one that I am looking to reduce.

In the end a lose is a lose and I will take it whether it be 1 or 5 lbs still pretty pumped that the scale is going down

Have a fantastic day everyone

Terry
terryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

Good luck everyone! Good idea to get a good scale Terry.

Thank you AGAIN for this challenge. It is a real motivator! 167 this morning. Things moved in the right direction last week.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 178.8/175.8/145.8

Height: 5'7"

Morning all! So, not the best week, but I posted my weightloss, all .4 pounds of it.... I did have much success with my exercise this week, so I'm going to focus on that. I hit a PR with my fitbit: 26,856 steps. TerryC--I think we have the same scale!
Mimi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #51  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Week 1 Charts Everyone!

Overall Chart:

Chicks up for a Challenge Chart:

Please remember that this is the top 15 biggest losers, if you don't see your name then let it motivate you to reach the charts!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #52  

Congrats to everyone for their accomplishments this week!

Scales can be frustrating. I've had some issues with electronic scales. My last couple of scales developed a quirk in that they I'd have to tap it with one foot to get it to make an initial reading of 5-6 pounds. Then, I'd get it to go to zero, and start from there. If I didn't go through that process, I'd weigh 5-6 pounds heavier that I am. It's odd that the scales didn't have the problem initially, but the exact same problem happened over time with two scales in a row. (even after replacing the batteries)

The scales I've had tend to fluctuate a bit. If I change the battery, make a habit of placing it in the same level ground each time, I just make the best of it. If it weigh me a little heavier one week, it will likely do the reverse at some point.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #53  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hey guys!

Phew, this has been a busy week for me! Sorry for the lack of posting, I feel terrible not keeping up to speed with you all but I will definitely catch up with your news.

First up, my weigh in this week was pleasantly low, towards the end of the week it was starting to creep up but I always like to use my lowest weigh in for the week for personal morale/motivation. It's pretty awesome seeing me on top of the 20-Something Charts, and also positioning in the Top 15 Overall. I know it won't last as the challenge goes on, I am slow with weight loss, but it's nice for now

My Thursday - Saturday was busy socially, which has been great. We went to a pizza party arranged by the apartment complex, I had 2 slices which is pretty great for me considering it was free pizza! I also had a cupcake too, and it was delicious. I saw a little girl though, it was kinda funny but kinda sad, the girl was overweight and just going crazy with the food. She made multiple rounds of the pizza and had 3 huge cupcakes. She practically shoved me out of the way to get to the cupcakes! I think she was about 5 or 6? I know she doesn't really know any better yet, so in a way that's what made it slightly amusing, but I couldn't help but cringe when seeing how animalistic she was being with the food.

We met some of our neighbours at the pizza party and they're so cool! My boyfriend and I were both feeling a bit hard done to having not met many people we connected with yet, but 3 of our neighbours were there and we clicked straight away. So we spent all Thursday night with them, we had a movie night on Friday then we went to a lantern festival on Saturday with them. Hurray for new friends!

Friday it was mine and my boyfriends 7 year anniversary together, we went to Foxbrothers BBQ, a Texas styled BBQ place that is amazing and we ate delicious BBQ. Good for the soul, not for the body. >_>

Today I'm starting an edit for a feature film I've signed up for. It's an independent film, so I'm not going to get paid unless the film does well when it's released, but it's good for my portfolio which is why I took it. This morning I've seen 2 paid editing positions local to me, dammit! Given, they're for commercial work, when I want to go into film, so I'm doing what I want to be doing but the money would be awesome. Oh welly.

Anyway, this week is going to be me focusing on balancing work and social life. I have a bad habit of putting off work (life working from home, people!) to socialize and vice versa. I also need to throw in healthy living too, so while last Tuesday I did an epic workout (that had me sore for 3 days!), I put off working out the rest of the week because of other plans. Focusing on 1 thing a day is bad, I can't sustain that forever, so I need to learn how to create my own working week. I'm already doing it now by posting this, haha, oops!

-----------------

Mimi - Glad to hear your diet plan has been making you feel full for longer! I'm so glad to hear that you kicked cancers a$$! What better way to treat yourself than to giving your body the awesome treat of losing weight? Personally, I don't do diets. I find them far too restrictive and as soon as I see any rules I want to break them. Tell me not to eat chips and all I want are chips. Because of that I find counting calories works the best for me. If I'm honest with myself and count calories then I avoid overeating. Once I start exercising I actually WANT to eat healthier because I want to improve my cardio performance.
I feel you on slow weight loss, but you know what? 0.2 lbs is a loss. Plain and simple. Sure it's not 2 lbs, but each day you're living life better and healthier and in the long run that's incredible. Give yourself a break, if weight loss were easy and we could all lose 7 lbs a week then there wouldn't be a forum like this one! We're here for you, we're here for the long journey ahead, so it's best to get settled into the mindset that this is a marathon and not a sprint or else you'll end up sabotaging yourself out of frustration. I've been there and done that, I hate seeing other people do it too! If you feel frustrated at the scale, just weigh in once a week.

munchey - I used to be friends with a body builder and he swore by the method of exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. He was shredded, so there must be some truth to the theory! I hope you find some success with it. Well done on talking yourself out of chips!! Congrats on 3 lbs down, that's amazing!

Phae - Thank you for sharing that, I never thought of it that way. I'm definitely happy to see the turn out for the challenge now, not that I would have stopped it if just a couple of people were here! It was just surprising not to see the usual swarm. I run these challenges throughout the year, so if you're looking for a challenge to stick to in the long term then look no further! After this Halloween there is the Christmas/NYE challenge, then the New Year New You challenge, then the Sizzling for Summer challenge which is when I usually take a break from running the challenges until Halloween season. I'm right there with you with counting calories!

Chunkah - Wow, that's interesting! So great that you've found what works for you in such a detailed way. It's not exactly healthy, but if I have a chai tea latte in the morning I actually feel "full" until lunch time despite not having eaten anything. I've definitely heard of the theory that making breakfast the biggest meal of the day, lunch a normal sized meal and dinner a small meal has quite a great effect. It makes sense since we spend most of the day burning the food whereas if we have large dinners we're less likely to burn that off in the evening when we relax/sleep.

torito - I hope you got your good nights rest, that sounds so tough! That's so crappy that no one would come in to replace you . Does that happen often? Good luck with the house hunt.

rebelle - Welcome, welcome!! Good job on staying away from red meat! Protein all the way

flower1 - Welcome back! Glad to see you!! I hope you manage to reach your goal this challenge

Crow - Welcome to the challenge! I like aiming for weights that put me into different categories too, there's nothing like getting under that line. I was seeing my weight creep up towards obesity again, which is when I decided to make the change. I hope you're successful in this challenge, you can do it!

susiemartin - Welcome and good luck!

Kay7 - Thank you for remembering! The move went well! Nothing bad happened on the drive over and unpacking/buying furniture went well. The apartment definitely felt like home very quickly, after that it was about settling into the area. I think it's taken about 4 months for us to feel like we're fitting in socially and with work, but there's still lots more to be done. We've made some great friends, we just need to progress in our careers a bit more. But I'm happy with where I am.
I weigh at home, and it sounds like you need a new scale! I always weigh the same when I get on and off (I usually check twice to make sure my scale is ok!)

terryc - Hi there, welcome to the challenge! I just wanted to make sure that your starting weight that you entered was the weight you were at 2 weeks ago, not your overall starting weight? 6.4 lbs is an amazing drop in weight over the space of one week so I just wanted to make sure it was accurate!

NightOwl - Congrats on the loss!

Last edited by Riestrella; 09-12-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

Steroids !!!!!!!! Apparently my lungs are channeling HRC. Arrgggg. Thank God for antibiotics and inhalers, too. But, as much as I value breathing, the water weight is gonna kill my stats this week.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #55  

RIE:
Congrats on you wt. loss this week - good job! I'm glad you found some friendly neighbors to socialize with.

It can be a challenge to work from home and manage your time. Maybe you can pretend you have to leave home at a certain time to drive to work, and use that time for exercising. I once read about someone's work-at-home strategy, where they made a daily work habit of walking out the front door, walk a bit down the street and back. When they reentered their home, the work day started.

Guess we all have to find a strategy that works for us. I'm sure you will work it out. :0
Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 184/170/150

Height: 5'4

[QUOTE=Riestrella;5278857]

terryc - Hi there, welcome to the challenge! I just wanted to make sure that your starting weight that you entered was the weight you were at 2 weeks ago, not your overall starting weight? 6.4 lbs is an amazing drop in weight over the space of one week so I just wanted to make sure it was accurate!

Hi Riestrella - yes the starting weight I entered is what I was 2 weeks ago and yes the drop I have seen is pretty amazing, I expect it is water weight. I have found my first week of any change in diet always the best one. It will start to even out to about 1-2 lbs a week eventually which is good too.

have a great day

Terry
terryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #57  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh man I feel so far behind! I'll try to get everyone but really sorry if I miss someone!

crow and susie nice to have you here!

chunka that sounds like a great way to spend time with your brother and help curb the cravings! I have found a house actually...

munchy great job on the 3lbs thats awesome!

kay my scale is pretty consistent. Though I have it on a piece of wood because it's on the carpet so I don't know how accurate it is that way! Maybe it's time for a new scale, mine is some from WW seems pretty good, I've been looking at other ones and I saw a WW with the fat % and everything that had good reviews.

terry 1000 calories seems super low! But good job with sticking to something

mimi wow thats awesome for so many steps! The days I did my half marathons I got like 30k so you killed it!

rie sounds like youre super busy! I'm so glad you found some friends in your building that can be super stressful. I know how hard it can be watching kids eat, my niece has problem with eating (unhealthy) peanut butter with a spoon and I can just see the disordered eating starting since I used to do that. Congrats on 7 years, and sometimes you do need food good for the soul!

night sometimes your health is more important than a number on the scale, don't forget that!

I have been super busy and stressed out this week. We ended up finding a house we liked and put an offer on, and then a bidding war happened... sigh... but we won. Then there was mortgage stress but it all worked out in the end! We don't move in for a while but I'm already obsessed with furniture shopping and decorating. I also managed to eat on track and continue exercising so my weight did go down a bit.
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #58  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

What a wonderful challenge~ Just long enough to captivate statistics and motivation! I truly believe it really is a competitive camaraderie that shakes things it!

Speaking of shakes I have been doing the WonderSlim program since August 29. I have lost 13 pounds thus far, but joined the challenge this week so my lowest weight thus far is my starting weight. I will weigh in by Sunday on the day I feel the lightest (not a daily weigher).

It is encouraging me to read so many of the threads...can't wait til I can earn my signature!

This is gonna fun and not too scary, I hope!!!
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #59  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Ooh, pretty charts. *pets screen*

I lose slowly, so I don't expect to be so highly ranked again. I should screenshot that to remember my loss for all time, b/c that large a loss is really not typical for me. I think some bloat at the beginning helped me. So I guess even bloat can at times serve a positive purpose.

It's very cool of you to run these challenges here, Riestrella :
on this week's loss!

Good luck, ladies! Let's slaughter this challenge. <-- No mercy carrot.

I enjoyed the suggestions for working at home b/c I'm going through something similar right now, thanks!

Congrats on winning the bidding war, torito!

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 09-13-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #60  

Hey Everyone!
Hope everyone is having a good week. I'm still fighting a wave of anxiety, but I'm hanging in there and staying with my food program.

Although, I'm hungry when I get up, I've been sticking with my plan to get in a short period of exercise before I eat breakfast. Overall, I seem to be eating less with this strategy, as it seems to defer my eating throughout the day and I have managed to eat less on some days. It has aided me in working with a strategy to stagger my calorie intake (to keep things shaken up).

Chunkahlunkah:
Best wishes with making a work-at-home strategy. I'm glad you made the charts. Don't be so sure you won't get there again.

MorningGlory1950:
Congrats on reaching you lowest weight. You will reach a new low during the challenge, how exciting!

Nightowlrn:
Sorry about having to take steroids. Hope your lungs get better soon. Although, you will have weight gain from fluid retention, it will be followed by a huge weight loss after you quit taking it.

terryc:
Congrats on you big loss. Settling into 1-2 pounds will be a good average for the long run.

Torito:
Congrats on deciding on a house and entering escrow. How exciting to get into decorating. Don't let it overwhelm you. It can take some time (an unfortunately a lot of money).