Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 260/253/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Mental Exericse!

Munchey this is a great mental exercise! I really need to work on this one. I need to spend some more time on it to get to the root of my issues! I know what I need to do to lose weight and get in shape but somehow I can't seem to do it! Great Challenge!
ChocolateLover2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Howdy everyone.

Had a pretty good week weight loss wise. Weighed in Sunday at 211.4. Could someone please add it to the spreadsheet? Thank you.

Going to have to think on the mental challenge and get back to you.
wvuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent Rose View Post
I would like to pin that recipe! I don't have much trouble sleeping, but it sounds delish!
I also like this week's assignment. I thought about it some yesterday, and surprisingly, the deprivation question resonated with me. I am a cook, and I think not being able to eat all the high calorie things I still fix for work has built up some resentment. I lost 60# in less than a year, was injured and gained 20# back. Now I feel like I am unwilling to go forward and I sure don't want to go back. That 'unwillingness' may stem from a feeling of deprivation.

JO:
Is there any flexibility where you work in regard to the food prepared? Just thinking if it is a unique restaurant, the owner might be open to add some new lower calorie meals to the menu.

I'm always inspired by chefs I see on weight loss shows and some of the recipes and low calorie options they present. Rocco Dispirito comes to mind. Also, lots of ideas at the Hungry Girl website (she is quite inventive in regard to lowering calories and keeping taste).

I know for me, I have to enjoy what I'm eating. In that light, I'm not a fan of some of the very low calorie subs. I like a lot of them, just have to pick and choose. I can't stand nonfat cheese in most instances. I like a lot of reduced calorie cheeses.

I think the long-term answer is to find the lowest calorie version of dishes that we feel satisfied with.

Naughty
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #199  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuchick View Post
Howdy everyone.

Had a pretty good week weight loss wise. Weighed in Sunday at 211.4. Could someone please add it to the spreadsheet? Thank you.

Going to have to think on the mental challenge and get back to you.

wvuchick:
Congrats on your loss this week. You have a good pace going! Entered your stat.

Munchey
Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #200  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryastark View Post
Thank you Munchey!! I've entered those details, hopefully I've done it right.

aryastark:
You did a perfect job with your spreadsheet entries!

I see you are from Ireland - how cool! I believe you are in the Summer season right now, with long days?

Munchey
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

Yeah that's right Munchey, it stays bright until about 10pm so no excuses not to go out and exercise
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #202  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryastark View Post
Yeah that's right Munchey, it stays bright until about 10pm so no excuses not to go out and exercise

I know with me, I'd still be tempted to work in an excuse, lol. On the other side of the coin, you probably face a lack of daylight in the Winter.

What type of exercise are you doing?

Munchey
Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchey View Post

wvuchick:
Congrats on your loss this week. You have a good pace going! Entered your stat.

Munchey
Thanks!
wvuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #204  

Mental assignment - relapse and recovery 101: My mental state suffers from lack of motivation and depression (slight) that has caused me to gain 10 pounds since my SIL died of cancer about 2 months ago. I'm not sure how to move forward. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist next week, but want to start working on my mind prior to that appointment. The reading materials supplied by Munchey says that every day that you dwell on the past, you miss an opportunity to move forward. So, I'm going to work on the next topic of the paper which is "Strengthen Your Confidence."
Boultbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 220/189/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Munchey, for the suggestions. I work in a hospital, so it's not the patient food that gets me in trouble. I am responsible for catering the board mtgs., and birthday dinners and other celebratory events. I think you got it exactly right with fixing a low calorie version of things you like while preserving the taste. If I focus on what I can have, rather than what I can't have, I do much better.
I stayed within my calorie allowance today (yay). 1568cal. in/ 2694cal. out.
Took my dog kayaking tonight- it was 96 with a heat index of 103-yuk!
Recumbent Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

I'm doing a combination of running and yoga with a bit of ST thrown in when I can find the time. My big problem is momentum, I can have a really good week and then something comes up and throws me and I stop for another week so having a challenge will help keep me focused.
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #207  

ARYASTARK:
Strength training and really be beneficial. My understanding is that circuits can get the weight off faster than aerobics by itself.

The Fitsugar website has some good short workout (address below). It can be beneficial to find a few that you like and bookmark them and work in a 10 minute or 20 minute workout when you can.

http://www.fitsugar.com/class-fitsugar

I'll try and find an article I have on circuits and post it.

BOULTBEE:

Hopefully the fires in Canada have died down and the air Quality is better. I believe you said you plan to go back within a week? I remember you bought a kayak for Washington State. Have you used it this year in WA?

Sounds like a good plan to jump into "strengthen your confidence". I'm going to dive right into it myself. Does the change from a a psychiartist to a psychologist mean that you are going to try some meds to help? If that is the case, don't give up on talk therapy.

I find that I have to keep reminding myself of some tools to use. I'm going to repost the 4-7-8 breathing exercise. That is something I find helpful, but I keep forgetting about it. I, also, have to get back to meditating.

Try to keep busy. That helps me when I'm feeling low (but not too busy to stress yourself out). I've many time found value in "acting as if and letting the feelings follow" (keep busy and pretend you aren't depressed).

JO:
Good job with keeping within your calorie allowance! Kayaking with your dog sounds like fun.

Being the chef for events at a hospital sounds like a real opportunity to evolve to healthier foods. It could be a great accomplishment for you to offer some healthier choices and somehow make it known. I can see it now, "Jo get the employee of the month award" Definitely don't want to do it Michelle obama style, lol (the children throw the food away)

Before I lost my job, I used to laugh about the contradiction between all the constant preaching about healthy eating and life styles that came from my employer, but when it came to events they always provided the same high-calorie food. My employer was a big company and I know the purpose of the health talk these days is an effort to bring down their health insurance costs. I thought it would have been refreshing if they would have offered some tasty, creative and healthy alternatives. It could really reinforce the talk, by walking the walk.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #208  

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
• Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
• Hold your breath for a count of seven.
• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
• This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.
This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.
Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #209  

Circuit Training 101

Circuit training is an excellent way to simultaneously improve mobility, strength, and stamina. The circuit training workout is composed of two to six different circuits, each containing two or more strength/cardio exercises that are completed one right after the other, with little or no rest in between. You do one set of an exercise for a specified number of repetitions (or a prescribed amount of time) and then move on to the next exercise. Once you complete one set of each exercise in a circuit, you go back to the beginning of the circuit and repeat the exercises until all the sets are completed and you can move on to the next circuit of exercises.

For example, Circuit 1 might include three sets each of push-ups, lunges, and mountain climbers. You should complete one set (consisting of 15 reps) of push-ups, followed by one set of lunges (15 reps), and then one set of mountain climbers (1 minute). Then do a second set of push-ups, lunges, and mountain climbers, followed by the third and final set of the three exercises. Circuits should NOT consist of three sets of push-ups at once, followed by three sets of lunges and then followed up with 1 minute of mountain climbers.

There is no rest period within a single circuit, but completed circuits should be separated by a rest period of 30 seconds to one minute. The total number of circuits performed during a training session may vary from two to six, depending on a number of factors, including your training level and your training objective (for example, are you preparing for a competition, and if so, how much time do you have to prepare?). The workouts include the cardio intervals (one minute of jumping jacks, one minute of mountain climbers, and so on) to keep your heart rate elevated for maximum calorie burn.

BUILD YOUR PERSONAL CIRCUIT
You can build your own personal circuit. Use the guidelines above and assemble your own circuit or feel free to make substitutions to circuits you find.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 AM   #210  

S/C/G: 213/155/120

Height: 5ft

Hi everybody

Sorry I've been mia for a bit. Did my 3 days of exercise last week - Kickbox fastfix workouts 1, 2 and 3 - but it went by the wayside this week. The weather over here has been very hot and sunny and also quite humid and my exercise for this week has been a lot of ironing and cleaning - not good in the heat, lol. I look after a couple of holiday properties and with schools finishing for the summer in the UK, the properties all needed to be ready at once! However, the first people arrived yesterday and the main property - the 5 bedroom villa, is also ready for occupation at the weekend. So today I'm back at it.

Munchey - good advice on the circuits, I must really try to get back into them. However for today I'm going to give 30 Day Shred a bash as I've not done this for months. I'll let you know how I get on.
tanguito is offline   Reply With Quote