"Forming new habits "- 21 Day Challenge

You're on Page 4 of 34
Go to
  • Tyla, congratulations on your weight loss, I managed to break the 190's plateau in this challenge too!
    Workinglikeadog - nice job on the strawberry fight! Although it wouldn't be THAT bad to lose it!

On Day 12 I tried to do Jillian again, but I was in too much pain to finish it, so I took another pause day. I'm keeping it slow now for real.

Day 1: 40min Jillian, 20min cycling
    Day 2: 45min warrior yoga
    Day 3: 20min running, 20min elliptical, some weight lifting
    Day 4: 40min Jillian
    Day 5: 20min strength training with Bob Harper
    Day 6: 30min cycling
    Day 7: 20min running, 20min elliptical, some weight lifting
    Day 8: Pause day
    Day 9: 45min swimming
    Day 10: 60min cardio aerobics
    Day 11: 20min cycling
    Day 12: Pause day
    Day 13: 30min walking
    Day 14: 30min cycling

Plan: To work out every day for at least 20minutes
  • Big day in the studio, another artist with an upcoming show will be in the studio with me today - nice inspiration and focus on what needs to happen. Have a great DAY!

Velvet, Congrats on breaking the 190's - yeah - you CAN do it! Glad you discovered you will have to take it slow for a while, that muscle is big but luckily seems to heal well(when I've done the same thing).

tyla, where'd ya go?, well life can sure get busy. Hope to hear from you soon, need you here.

NO p.m. snacking with 2 pause days possible
    3/24- Day 1 - No snacking -
    3/25- Day 2 - No snacking -
    3/26- Day 3 - No snacking - Oh My, I almost picked up a strawberry without thinking tonight. I know that would be o.k. but also know if I start snacking I tend to keep it up - so NO!!!!
    3/27- Day 4 - No snacking - Made sandwiches at night for next day, boy did I have to fight impulsed to lick the jelly that landed on the counter and lick the knife with left over peanut butter. Makes me wonder in the past how many calories I ate and had no remembrance of eating. Something to think about - just one little bad habit(there are more where that come from )
    3/28- Day 5 - No snacking - and ready to go to bed.
    3/29- Day 6 -
    3/30- Day 7 -

P.S. - I will be out of town this weekend, so will report on Monday how I did, have a great weekend!
  • Day 1: 40min Jillian, 20min cycling
    Day 5: 20min strength training with Bob Harper
    Day 7: 20min running, 20min elliptical, some weight lifting
    Day 15: 60min cycling
    Day 16: 30min cycling
    Day 17: 30min roller skating

Only 4 days to complete the challenge!
  • Just One
    I love the idea for this 21-day challenge. It might be exactly the thing I need. Mine will be called the "Just One" Challenge. Meaning that after lunch I will have just one square of dark chocolate, and after dinner I will have just one dark chocolate truffle.

No doubt for folks who are further along in their journey this sounds like too many sweets. But to just have one sweet thing after lunch and one sweet thing after dinner will actually be a huge, difficult change for me. I am coming out of a period of eating everything in sight, sugar upon sugar upon sugar.

This change will be hard but feasible, and will hopefully lead to larger changes. I started yesterday.

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
  • I am calling my challenge the "Just One" Challenge. Meaning that after lunch I will have just one square of dark chocolate, and after dinner I will have just one dark chocolate truffle.

No doubt for folks who are further along in their journey this sounds like too many sweets. But to just have one sweet thing after lunch and one sweet thing after dinner will actually be a huge, difficult change for me. I am coming out of a period of eating everything in sight, sugar upon sugar upon sugar. This change will be hard but feasible (Level 2), and will hopefully lead to larger changes.

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
    Day 2 - 3/30 Just one - turned down DH's well-meaning idea to go get ice cream and told him about the challenge. He immediately said he would support me in beating the challenge. First small victory!
  • I am calling my challenge the "Just One" Challenge. Meaning that after lunch I will have just one square of dark chocolate, and after dinner I will have just one dark chocolate truffle.

No doubt for folks who are further along in their journey this sounds like too many sweets. But to just have one sweet thing after lunch and one sweet thing after dinner will actually be a huge, difficult change for me.

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
    Day 2 - 3/30 Just one - turned down DH's well-meaning idea to go get ice cream and told him about the challenge. He immediately said he would support me in beating the challenge. First small victory!
    Day 3 - 3/31 Just one - As proof that one good habit naturally begets others, chose a side salad with dinner rather than the chips. Small changes will make a difference for me.
  • Velvet, you are doing great, (especially with your injury). I was hiking outside on our mini vacation and slipped - really stretching out my left upper thigh. After calming myself down and realizing I didn't pull anything badly, I thought of you sympathetically. I have a sore knot there today, but my calves are even sorer from trying out the elliptical machine with vigor(silly girl).

Dr Geri, I am a cat lover too! We have three & living on a farm, they all pull their weight keeping the vermin down. Your challenge is wonderful and will be a reminder that I too, need to get back to my 2 Dove dark chocolate after dinner only rule. I relaxed a bit this weekend on vacation, but stick to Dove dark chocolate mostly, cause I CAN control it and most sugars make me want more right away. Yeah on turning down Ice Cream and ordering a side salad instead of fries. You CAN do this!

3/26- Day 3 - No snacking - Oh My, I almost picked up a strawberry without thinking tonight. I know that would be o.k. but also know if I start snacking I tend to keep it up - so NO!!!!
    3/27- Day 4 - No snacking - Made sandwiches at night for next day, boy did I have to fight impulsed to lick the jelly that landed on the counter and lick the knife with left over peanut butter. Makes me wonder in the past how many calories I ate and had no remembrance of eating. Something to think about - just one little bad habit(there are more where that come from )
    3/29- Day 6 - No snacking
    3/30- Day 7 - No snacking - been Hungry, so it's a good thing I have extra incentive not to snack at night.
    3/31- Day 8 - No snacking -
    4/1 - Day 9 -
    4/2 - Day 10 -
    4/3 - Day 11 -
    4/4 - Day 12 -
    4/5 - Day 13 -
  • Hello! What a great challenge!

Starting tomorrow (4/2) I am challenging myself to eat 1200 calories or less every day. I can do this!

4/2: Food: 1682 // Exercise: 568 Net 1114 (SUCCESS! Under Goal)
    4/3:
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5
    Day 6
    Day 7
    Day 8
    Day 9
    Day 10
    Day 11
    Day 12
    Day 13
    Day 14
    Day 15
    Day 16
    Day 17
    Day 18
    Day 19
    Day 20
    Day 21

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
    Day 3 - 3/31 Just one - As proof that one good habit naturally begets others, chose a side salad with dinner rather than the chips. Small changes will make a difference for me.
    Day 4 - 4/01 Just one. Thank you for your encouragement, Diana. What I appreciate about this challenge is that it is not about a number on the scale. I do not want my mood or self worth to be determined by daily weight fluctuations. Instead, I just want to feel good, be able to fit into my clothes, and establish better daily choices. This challenge is pushing me do that.
  • Good Evening Ladies, hope it was a great Day for you Too!

colleen, good to have you join us. Looks like you are forming several good habits right now. Keep up the good work.

Dr. Geri, I can so relate to the forming better daily choices. I decided I was getting tired of dieting my entire life, so I better figure out how to make choices that allow me to be healthy and not have yo- yoing weight all the time. I think I am figuring things out for me. There is so much miss-information out there, that it can be pretty confusing.

3/30- Day 7 - No snacking - been Hungry, so it's a good thing I have extra incentive not to snack at night.
    4/1 - Day 9 - No snacking
    4/2 - Day 10 - No snacking - Boy, snacking is still tempting. I wonder how long it will take to break this habit for a lifetime. Gonna have to give this some serious thought.
    4/3 - Day 11 -
    4/4 - Day 12 -
    4/5 - Day 13 -

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
    Day 4 - 4/01 Just one. Thank you for your encouragement, Diana. What I appreciate about this challenge is that it is not about a number on the scale. I do not want my mood or self worth to be determined by daily weight fluctuations. Instead, I just want to feel good, be able to fit into my clothes, and establish better daily choices. This challenge is pushing me do that.
    4/02 PAUSE. I should not have underestimated how challenging this would be. I have forged a strong association between lentil soup and peanut butter. Weird, I know. But I had lentil soup and out came the peanut butter.
    Day 5 - 4/03 Just one. Picking myself up from my stumble and making a better choice today.
  • Dr. Geri – I had the same problem with desserts and I started with going cold turkey for a while and then came back to just one per day. Usually I stick to it. Don’t feel sad about your pause day. Even God took a day off.
    Casakran, I'm doing the same challenge as you do every day since january! How are you holding up? How is your no-smoking challenge going so far?
    Workinglikeadog – Maybe it takes 21 days to create a new habit and longer if you have to get rid of one?

Anyway, I completed my challenge to workout every day! So far it helped me break my weight-loss plateau and made me feel healthier and more confident. Today I’m rewarding myself with a pause day and will let you know if the habit sticks.

Day 1: 40min Jillian, 20min cycling
    Day 5: 20min strength training
    Day 7: 20min running, 20min elliptical, weight lifting
    Day 15: 60min cycling
    Day 16: 30min cycling
    Day 17: 30min roller skating
    Day 18: 20min cycling
    Day 19: 20min cycling
    Day 20: 20min cycling
    Day 21: 20min cycling, 30min running
  • Morning Ladies! Gotta get outside this a.m., it's sunny and 45* already. Had a snack last night and thought about why, think I figured out a better reaction for the future.

Velvet, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did great and glad you were able to break your plateau.

Dr Geri, Nice recovery, keep going!

3/27- Day 4 - No snacking - Made sandwiches at night for next day, boy did I have to fight impulsed to lick the jelly that landed on the counter and lick the knife with left over peanut butter. Makes me wonder in the past.how many calories I ate and had no remembrance of eating. Something to think about - just one little bad habit(there are more where that come from )
    4/2 - Day 10 - No snacking - Boy, snacking is still tempting. I wonder how long it will take to break this habit for a lifetime. Gonna have to give this some serious thought.
    4/3 - Day 11 - No Snacking
    4/4 - PAUSE DAY #1
    4/5 - Day 12 -

Day 1 - 3/29 Just one
    4/02 PAUSE. I should not have underestimated how challenging this would be. I have forged a strong association between lentil soup and peanut butter. Weird, I know. But I had lentil soup and out came the peanut butter.
    Day 5 - 4/03 Just one. Picking myself up from my stumble and making a better choice today.
    Day 6 - 4/04 Just one. Velvet Bean, "Even God took a day off" is my new mantra!
  • Dr Geri, KEEP up the good work.

Velvet, Did the habit stick? How is your thigh by now?

Colleen, How are you doing? Reset your goal is need be, hope to see you soon.

tyla, what are you up to? Hope to see you soon.

3/27- Day 4 - No snacking - Made sandwiches at night for next day, boy did I have to fight impulsed to lick the jelly that landed on the counter and lick the knife with left over peanut butter. Makes me wonder in the past.how many calories I ate and had no remembrance of eating. Something to think about - just one little bad habit(there are more where that come from )
    4/3 - Day 11 - No Snacking
    4/4 - PAUSE DAY #1
    4/5 - Day 12 - No Snacking - Gotta stay focused, more weight to loss and I need this habit to be ingrained.
    4/6 - Day 13
    4/7 - Day 14
    4/8 - Day 15
    4/9 - Day 16
    4/10 - Day 17
    4/11 - Day 18
    4/12 - Day 19
    4/13 - Day 20
    4/14 - Day 21