Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #1  
Just watch me ...

Default **Waiting For Hunger** June 2012

I've been playing around with the concept of waiting for hunger and eating enough to be not hungry, not full. I think if I can crack this nut I'll be a lot happier and healthier.

If you'd like to join me in this experiment please do My vision for this thread is to simply post daily observation on how this experiment is working. Exact food items consumed don't have to be posted unless you want to.

Last edited by Exhale15; 06-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm a few weeks into Calorie Counting, and have started doing this. I have a slight hunger when I go to bed, which feels good (I remember trying to sleep with a full belly, not good). I mentally check in with myself at noon to see if I'm hungry, or if I notice I'm hungry before that. I used to go home and just start eating and now I check in then, too. I'll make some tea if I want to be in the kitchen. I'll notice how I feel after one bowl of food. Do I need another? What do I need?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #3  
Just watch me ...

Thanks for your post, seagirl. Today I find that although I'm checking in with my hunger I'm not trusting the process. Too much breakfast and lunch I didn't need yet. Going to hold out until I'm hungry for dinner. The idea of making tea when you want to be in the kitchen is nice!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #4  

I got the tea making from yoga and meditation retreats I've been on. When you wander into the kitchen between meals, that's all there was. So you have a little ritual of making the tea, and then drinking it and you realize you weren't actually hungry.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #5  
Just watch me ...

Seagirl, where have you gone on retreat?

I'm interested because I've only been to Kripalu, which is retreat-like but not what I think of as hard - core as some 'silent' retreats, etc. (love the food there, by the way and always come home beaming)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #6  

Kripalu!
And I went to a meditation and writing retreat at Karme Choling in Vermont. It's a Shambala Buddhist center. A little more "retreaty." With awesome food. No spa stuff like Kripalu, but lots of meditating.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #7  
Just watch me ...

Oh, that sounds great ! Except for the sitting part, which requires more dedication than I've been able to muster. But there's always hope....
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #8  
Just watch me ...

So after a stuffing-myself mid - day, I waited for hunger to eat my dinner, and ate to satisfaction. Interestingly, a few hours later I started stirring about having some bad stuff. I sat it through, told myself I could have it today, and stayed course.

This morning, not hungry until 10:30, when I had a light meal to take the edge off since I still ate too much yesterday and although I'm feeling hungry I'm feeling heavy.

Here's to a successful day for everyone !
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #9  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

Hi ! I also am trying to only eat when I am hungry and that has helped me alot ! I am eatting half of what I used to.

Exhale- My daughter lives at Long Island, NY . We moved her there in Oct. of last year.I miss her so bad sometime. Do you live near there ?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #10  
Just watch me ...

Hi Dumplin, thanks for your post. I am finding, also, that I need a lot less food than I've been eating . Plus, eating less food makes me more aware of the tastes of what I am eating - if that makes any sense.

Today is working well, very light breakfast and lunch; mistake, though in having a second cup of coffee - with less food to balance the caffeine, I started feeling a bit racy after lunch and had a nosh to 'balance out'. But this is an experiment, and I'm finding out what works.

PS Long Island is nice, but not near me

Dinner worked out well; went from 'hungry' to 'satisfied/full' on less food than I expected.

Last edited by Exhale15; 06-05-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #11  
Just watch me ...

Seems there's not much interest in waiting for hunger....
Closed Thread