Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184 /179/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Try a Tri, or a marathon, or a half or a 5k

Anyone want to train along with me to complete a physical challenge by the end of fall? I'm about 6 weeks in to Triathlon Training and also am planning a marathon in the fall. Although I'm not loosing weight, I am making huge progress. Just need to get my diet inline with my training and it will drop right off. Anyone else?
clownfish13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi clownfish. I'm running my first 10K this weekend, and I'm thinking about training to run a half marathon in late September. The deciding factor for me will be whether I get pregnant with this current IVF cycle... if I do not, then I'm going to start training in mid June. So, I may come back and join you then, if that's ok!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/232/160

Height: 5'6

Well I am about to restart c25k and want to do my local zombie run in Sept so I will join you.
miatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #4  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

I'm running my first 5k (a zombie run at that) next weekend. I'm kinda freaked out about the obstacles.

I'm supposed to run a 5k road race a few weeks later, so that will be my official starting time for future improvements.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

I've been running a lot of 5k's (well not official, just on my own running time), but I want to push for a 10k! I got to around 9k, but my muscles were burning and I could feel a shin splint coming so I cut it off. Maybe if I try hard enough I can try to run a half marathon by the end of fall. (:
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
Hi clownfish. I'm running my first 10K this weekend, and I'm thinking about training to run a half marathon in late September. The deciding factor for me will be whether I get pregnant with this current IVF cycle... if I do not, then I'm going to start training in mid June. So, I may come back and join you then, if that's ok!
Good luck! That is an awsome accomplishment! Let us know how you do? Are you shooting for a time?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatutu View Post
Well I am about to restart c25k and want to do my local zombie run in Sept so I will join you.
I don't even know what a zombie run is. I had to look it up! And oh my gosh that looks SO fun. I'm signing up tomorrow for the Washington State one. I did Warrior Dash last year but this one looks like a blast too. Ooo, I can't wait.

I love C25k. It's a great program.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhdy View Post
I'm running my first 5k (a zombie run at that) next weekend. I'm kinda freaked out about the obstacles.

I'm supposed to run a 5k road race a few weeks later, so that will be my official starting time for future improvements.
Awesome! That sounds like fun. I did the warrior dash and was super worried about the obstacles because I have some physical imparements that hurt things like clymbing and I got through all of them. It was much easier than I anticipated. You'll do great. I can't wait to hear about it!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by delyn View Post
I've been running a lot of 5k's (well not official, just on my own running time), but I want to push for a 10k! I got to around 9k, but my muscles were burning and I could feel a shin splint coming so I cut it off. Maybe if I try hard enough I can try to run a half marathon by the end of fall. (:
Stretch stretch stretch. You'll get there. I love running because you can see those gains so easily each time you go out. Every run makes strides is what I like to say.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/232/160

Height: 5'6

My husband decided he is going to train with me to do it to the zombie run. My son wants to run it (he runs CC) but won't be 14 yet. Hes bummed. I told him the first race I do will be with him so hopefully I can be ready for a 5k before then.
miatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatutu View Post
My husband decided he is going to train with me to do it to the zombie run. My son wants to run it (he runs CC) but won't be 14 yet. Hes bummed. I told him the first race I do will be with him so hopefully I can be ready for a 5k before then.
You can do it! Even if you run/walk. I had to run walk my 10k last weekend and still came in middle of the pack for my age. That is so great that you can run with him. My daughter rather die (she's 12 so she rather die than do a lot of things right now)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #12  
Maintaining Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfish13 View Post
Good luck! That is an awsome accomplishment! Let us know how you do? Are you shooting for a time?
Well, goal one is just to get through it, lol! But ideally, I'd like for my time to be under 1:15. I'm SLOW, but I think I can do it. My last long run this past Saturday was 7.5 miles on the treadmill at a pace close to that, and physically that felt ok, so I think I've gotten the mileage up enough to be prepared. I anticipate that it's going to be mental as much as anything! I start to get bored around mile 4 because I'm so slow.

Last edited by chickadee32; 04-27-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #13  

Quote:
Well, goal one is just to get through it, lol! But ideally, I'd like for my time to be under 1:15. I'm SLOW, but I think I can do it. My last long run this past Saturday was 7.5 miles on the treadmill at a pace close to that, and physically that felt ok, so I think I've gotten the mileage up enough to be prepared. I anticipate that it's going to be mental as much as anything! I start to get bored around mile 4 because I'm so slow.
That is a very respectable time. In my age group I was #25 out of 50 and had to walk some because I'm struggling with a sprained ankle and it was in 1:06. This always helps me: You are lapping everyone on the couch. It is great to just get out there! And always motivating to see yourself as a runner with all these other runners. They don't judge, you are out there!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #14  
Maintaining Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfish13 View Post
That is a very respectable time. In my age group I was #25 out of 50 and had to walk some because I'm struggling with a sprained ankle and it was in 1:06. This always helps me: You are lapping everyone on the couch. It is great to just get out there! And always motivating to see yourself as a runner with all these other runners. They don't judge, you are out there!
Thank you. My time ended up being 1:10:23, and I was totally thrilled with that! But exactly as you said - the best thing was just being out there with the others. I actually felt like a runner (I often don't feel like a "real" runner, since I'm slow and do most of my runs on the treadmill), and I realized about a mile into the race that it didn't matter what my time was - it just mattered that I was out there doing it. I didn't have the stamina or strength to do it 6 months ago, and if someone had told me a year ago that I'd be running a 10K I would have told them they were crazy - I was never going to be able to run even a mile or two, let alone six. Being out there and doing something I never believed I could do was success enough.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #15  

Quote:
Thank you. My time ended up being 1:10:23, and I was totally thrilled with that! But exactly as you said - the best thing was just being out there with the others. I actually felt like a runner (I often don't feel like a "real" runner, since I'm slow and do most of my runs on the treadmill), and I realized about a mile into the race that it didn't matter what my time was - it just mattered that I was out there doing it. I didn't have the stamina or strength to do it 6 months ago, and if someone had told me a year ago that I'd be running a 10K I would have told them they were crazy - I was never going to be able to run even a mile or two, let alone six. Being out there and doing something I never believed I could do was success enough.
You sure look like a runner, you sound like a runner, you ARE a runner! Horray! I'm so excited for you, great job. Sooooo, when's the next one? Ha, addictive aren't they?