Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #91  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I just read this on the Whole30 blog and thought it to be a good message to post here....

Today may prove a test of willpower. Halloween candy is everywhere, calling out to you from perky colored wrappers in perfectly portioned bite-sized pieces. So for those of you stocking up for trick-or-treaters, or dealing with an influx of candy in your child’s own bag o’ booty, we are here to remind you of one simple fact.

YOU CAN HAVE CANDY ANY TIME YOU WANT.

You’re a grown-up. You earn your own money. And if you wanted a Snickers, a Kit-Kat, or a bag of Peanut M&Ms, you can walk right into any grocery store, gas station or convenience mart and buy one. Halloween candy is not special. It’s not unique. It’s not homemade, or a once-a-year treat, and we’re pretty sure it doesn’t invoke fond childhood memories of sitting around the dining room table while Mom pulls things out of the oven.

Which means....you will NOT be taken out by a bag of peanut M&Ms. Not this time around. No slips, no cheats, no excuses. You’re in this to slay your Sugar Demons once and for all, and you are tougher than any Halloween candy.

So, platoon… think about what you are going to do with all of your children’s candy or your leftover candy. Figure out how you will find balance in the tradition of Halloween candy versus your new, healthier lifestyle.

Luckily we don't get an influx of trick or treaters. I have some little toys and games and trinkets to hand out instead of candy.

And so help me Sarge if anyone even thinks of eating the candy because they don't want to throw it out and waste it. YOU ARE NOT A GARBAGE DISPOSAL.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #92  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
And so help me Sarge if anyone even thinks of eating the candy because they don't want to throw it out and waste it. YOU ARE NOT A GARBAGE DISPOSAL.
No, that is what dh's coworkers are for
Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #93  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the welcomes!! I look forward to being a part of the platoon and continuing to make good progress with other people who are committed to staying on plan. You all outrank me by a LOT in terms of fitness, but I've made great personal strides in that too.

As for Halloween candy, no worries for me eating it - I took the pledge!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...halloween.html

we have lots of candy buy back programs around here. Last year, my kid's favorite restaurant did one, so I'm hoping they will do it again. They take back all the extra candy to send to the troops and give the kid a free kid's meal. Definitely a win/win!

If not, there are dentists who buy it back for money.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #94  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Geez, I just found out that I am stating my height wrong all the time. According to Wolfram Alpha I am 5.709 feet which is actually 5' 8.5". Sigh. I will never completely understand imperial. I grew up with metric and it is quite straight forward.
So I will go and adjust all my height information now. :-)
At least it makes my BMI look better! 25.4 YEAH!!!

Last edited by josey; 10-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #95  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Woohoo Josey - you grew!

Have you ever made a stir fry or salad and you start out with just a little of this veggie and just a little of that veggie and next thing you know your lunch is the size of your head? Mmmmmmm somewhere in here is some shrimp and a few almonds.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #96  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Woohoo Josey - you grew!

Have you ever made a stir fry or salad and you start out with just a little of this veggie and just a little of that veggie and next thing you know your lunch is the size of your head? Mmmmmmm somewhere in here is some shrimp and a few almonds.
YES! I do that all the time when I'm making "crap in a pan". I look at the fridge and think "Oh, I just have a little bit of these few things to use up" and then BAM we're eating it for 3 straight days.

Josey - I'm jealous...I want to grow! I have the opposite problem. I used to think I was 5'5". I finally pulled out the tape measure last winter and discovered that I had been lying to myself all that time...I'm only 5'4".
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #97  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Josey - I'm jealous...I want to grow! I have the opposite problem. I used to think I was 5'5". I finally pulled out the tape measure last winter and discovered that I had been lying to myself all that time...I'm only 5'4".
Hey, I will gladly give you 1 or 2 of those inches. I never wear high heels because I am towering already. I would rather be 5'6" and have more lbs to lose. But oh well, I sure like that 25.4 BMI
Old 10-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #98  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:

WASTE IT or WAIST IT...the choice is yours
kick it to the can with gusto!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #99  
Bonettey

S/C/G: 384/375/150

Height: 5' 11"

As I am the proud owner operator of a non-profit group called Nevada troop support, that send letters and items to our troops in harms way,

I have no problem figuring out what to do with halloween candy.

It really makes their day and makes me feel great to send it to them.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #100  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

My strategy for dealing with the Halloween candy tonight as I pass it out: I recorded the nutritional info of each type into a space on the side of my food log, so I have to look at the calories, fat, carbs and lack of fiber and protein before I choose to eat a piece. I'll still have a piece or two before the night is out I'm sure, but at least I'll know exactly what I'm getting and can strategize to keep the indulgence to under 100 cals.

josey, I would love to be 5'8"! I think I might have grown slightly though... the last two times at the doctor they've measured me at 5'5" rather than 5'4.5" (and if it happens again I'm totally updating my numbers here, lol). Maybe there's less compression or something with all this weight gone? Who knows, but peanutt, it might be worth measuring yourself again!

Why are ALL of the charities calling tonight??
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #101  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Just a quickie before I hit the racks

NO
ORANGE
OR
BLACK
JELLY BEANS IN SIGHT

THANK GOODNESS!!!!

DO THEY MAKE JUST BLACK & ORANGE JELLY BEANS ????

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

No, I'm not going to look for them because I'm sure they are still laughing at me and I don't thing POOPIN'

ORANGE & BLACK
WOULD LOOK VERY NICE
Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #102  
Getting There!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

My power's Back!!!
Honestly, I've hardly missed a Sunday check in since I joined this crew in May and I'm pretty upset at this snow storm for keeping me away from the internet for 3 days.
No trick-or-treaters for me in my new house. We're not in a good street for it even with the power outages. My husband has a nice big bowl of candy to take care of this week. Like peanutt said, I'm an adult and do not need to get pulled in by brightly colored packaging.

Okay I have to get to work. Starting a brand new job today. Wish me luck and I'll check in with everyone properly this afternoon.
Have a great day Platoon!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #103  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I still have to make it through the next week or so, when I can get my son to agree to trading in the candy. But so far, so good! No nibbles for me. I did pick out the stuff I like best and told my son to eat that first! lol!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #104  
Suck it up, buttercup!

One thing that usually helps me is to read through the ingredient list on the candy. There are things in there I rather not want to know. I know it is tough. I am a huge candy (and especially chocolate) lover and I do eat my share.
Halloween though is not too bad for me. We live out in the boonies and have no kids :-) I just got to stay away from the office kitchen this week since people usually bring in left overs.

Last edited by josey; 11-01-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 160/163/120

Height: 5'2"

Hope you all had a cheat-free and Happy Halloween!

April and congrats on reaching onederland!!

We got cleaned out last night by 8pm so there is no leftover candy to worry about
Closed Thread