Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #256  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Skinny, Anon and all the others;

I don't know what SARGE would say, but this is what MadamBGooey thinks:

Try a real push-up, give it everything you have, if you can do one, try two until you JUST DON'T HAVE THE STRENGTH, then do "girly" push-ups . . . DIG DEEP INSIDE, BECOME EPIC!!!

As far as sit-ups, yes they are much harder than crunches, but do ONE, then two if your able, substitute regular crunches, bicycle crunches but DO IT!! '

Then report what you ACTUALLY DID!!

The whole point is to push yourself, to find NEW goals and achievements . . . It's suppose to be HARD and challenge you, hence the word CHALLENGE . . .

Each and every one of you is stronger now than when you first started. When is the last time you gave it your all to do a push-up?? Well??? OK then, JUST DO IT?? If you don't succeed, then you know you gave it your all in the attempt . . . you did the VERY BEST THAT YOU COULD, and in time you WILL BE ABLE TO ONE OR 5 OR 100 . . .
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #257  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

For those of you who may not be able to do all 100 pushups in the traditional way, don't forget about bench pushups! You can do pushups on any surface - not just the floor. I've used stairs in my house before....you could even do them against the wall if that ends up being a challenge for you.

I agree with Gooey....set out to do as many traditional pushups as you can. If that's 1, GREAT! You now have a baseline to see how much you can improve in the future!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 222/156.0/145

Height: 5'7''

Peanutt and MadamB -- K. I'm all for doing real push-ups, but there's no way I will get close to 100. I'll give it my all, though! And as far as the sit ups, I don't think I would have any problem doing 100; I just worked for Orthopedic surgeons who told me that you should never do them because they work your back muscles more than your abs and do so in a way that often causes back problems. So I just would kind of like an alternative for those, not something easier.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #259  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Okay well, my first comment is that good form should always be learned and practiced for any exercise. I can see poor form leading to more use and strain on the back than anything else. Anyways....something that will ease the burden on the back may be to do crunches on a stability ball.

I have to say it....I don't really care how many of any of the exercises you do. But I want everyone to give it a go, whether you have to modify the exercises or find alternatives or whatever. DO NOT underestimate your body's abilities and DO NOT take for granted the fact that you can try and make the most of your body's abilities. There are some of us sitting on the sidelines who would LOVE to be able to participate.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 258/244.6/190

Height: 5'7"

I may not be able to do 100 or even 50 or heck even 10 pushups, but I will try! I have my first 20 min run in the Am. Scared! But my fridge is full of healthy food and I resisted that Olive Garden. Score. Now for some good ol shut eye.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #261  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Another day just about wrapped up, felt pretty crappy again, stupid cold, was super windy and hot today so i walked 12.4 miles and only 3 miles on the bike, came home and did some light weights.

Not much new to report, just a typical day, ate pretty decent, need to get some good sleep tonight.

Hope everyone is doing fine.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

That's great

Last edited by munchey; 08-23-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Jeanettey - I am going to participate in my first challenge of yours ever. I WILL do 100 of each to the best of my ability

So I went out for my work dinner tonight and the fryer was broken. So anything fried was off the menu. Everyone else was really sad but I was thankful since it removed any potential temptation (even though I would have stayed strong anyways). I really watch my calories today so I let myself have a sandwich with a fruit cup on the side (no fries for me or anyone else thanks to the fryer mishap). The place I went to didn't have nutrition info but I used estimations and I am pretty sure I am still under my calorie goal for the day.

It was funny I ordered a fruit cup and everyone else decided that sounded good also.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #264  

S/C/G: 255/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Peanutt and MadamB. I think I am seeing this challenge correctly now. I will try to do the real deal in the real way and see how far I get --- and then next time, I will get a little farther.

Thanks for the helping me understand the point of the challenge! I was thinking about the numbers and not what exactly we were supposed to be challenging!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #265  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

peanutt: Glad to hear that you're back to work, and that you'll hopefully be back to all activities on Monday!! That's excellent news; I hope your appointment goes well.

I decided today I was going to try to get close to my upper calorie limit, but I'm struggling to get there tonight. I've got a greek yogurt in the freezer to eat in a bit, but even that will only put me over 1200. I need to find something healthy and high-calorie to eat tonight that doesn't throw off my macronutrient ratios!

Went to the gym tonight and did strength training on my lower body, and then got on the stationary bike again. I'm really enjoying switching the cardio up a bit - I've always just done the treadmill. When I got to this thread and saw Jeanettey's challenge, I figured I'd give the push-ups a try... I got through 50 on my knees before it became too much for my abdomen, and so did the last 50 against the wall. The crunches are still out for me, but soon enough I'll be able to get back to doing those too.

Exciting day today with the earthquake and all, and it looks like we may be impacted here by the hurricane this weekend. I hope my flight gets out on Saturday evening, as I'm NOT missing another conference!!

Have a great day tomorrow, all.

Last edited by chickadee32; 08-24-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: I accidentally posted before I was done!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #266  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Sorry I've been MIA for the most part this week. I wanted to thank everyone for the words about the gym. I do work out, I do believe I belong in a gym, there is just always that sinking feeling that someone is judging you. I try not to let that stop me, but I can't help it. I guess it stems from a life of being judged for being over weight.

I'm in school again, and this time I'm working out no matter what! I started the SHRED again since it's only 20 minutes a night and it was so effective last time. I plan on hitting the gym at least once a week if not more depending on scheduling. School and weight loss weren't made for each other but that's not going to hold me back. No excuses, right? So far, I haven't let being tired, or having work be an excuse. I've said I don't CARE, I'm WORKING OUT!
So YAY!!!

I'll definitely try the challenge tomorrow!

Last edited by kurisitaru; 08-24-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #267  

I binged for the first time in a while. Whoop my ***, and then do it again.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #268  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Ouch... feeling totally broken- body will. not. do. sit-ups. Stupid c-section (call it an excuse and I'll punch you!) I tell my body to do it "DO IT DAMMIT! DO IT!" and it just doesn't respond, just like the side planks. I know I need time, but I should be able to do a freaking sit-up right?? (I'm 17 weeks post-c-section, I should be able to do it by now.)

Anyways, I did 17, but my husband said they don't count because I had to hurl myself upward and pushed against his hands (holding my feet down) to do them. Then I did 13 "girly" pushups. I probably could have done more but I felt totally defeated/betrayed by my body from the sit-ups.

So I'm going to do 100 CRUNCHES to show my body who is boss and then head to bed and do it again tomorrow. I know I need to rebuild strength. I know that about 6 weeks ago I was having this same battle trying to lift my feet up for leg lifts (they literally would not respond to me attempting to lift them, so hubby lifted them up and then I held them there) and now I can do it and hold it for 30 seconds.

Progress takes time. I know this. I'm so impatient! I want my body to do what I tell it to do, and I want it to do it now.

Crunches...ready-set-go.

eta: I'm not whining either. I get it. I know it. I'm pumping myself up, trying to overcome the feeling of defeat I have over this infinite recovery.

Last edited by PacSunMama; 08-24-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #269  
Living the Life

Mornin' Troops

Whoo, that's great that there is lots of chatter about doing the Mid-Week Challenge. Just don't talk yourself out of it. Just get it done. Modify as needed and then do it.

I'll add push ups and sit ups, with some planks (my favorite) with my usual weights after work.

No fear of push ups or sit ups. But do fear the jackalope! He is watching. And he'll tell Gooey and Sarge. BEWARE!

Last edited by Cheshirecat; 08-24-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #270  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

i am so excited!! 100 sit ups and 100 pushups COMPLETE!!! PLUS....i raised the bar and did 100 jumping JACK-A-LOPES!! BOOOOYAH!!!

my modifications:
for the sit ups, i did them on the bed...not as easy as it sounds, but nice cushion for my back. these were done last night while watching the NEWS about hurricane irene. nigel had to hold my feet down...but i did them!! all 100 of them!! when i got tired i rested a few seconds, but i made it a "game" and said every time i hear the word hurricane, i would start doing them again until i had to rest again! it was hilarious!! every time i started to rest, they said hurricane again!! and nigel would jump up off the bed and say ok, lets go....keep going!!

this morning....nigel and i BOTH pumped out 100 jumping jacks....20 at a time!! with a few seconds rest in between!

for the pushups: I did them from my office chair. My desk is against the wall, and the guest bed is behind my office chair about 42 inches back. so i slid the chair all the way to brace against the end of the bed. i started doing pushups wondering if these would really challenge me. i sat on the edge of the chair (big black office chair), tucked my feet behind my tush, without letting them touch the floor, and then just starting doing the pushups!! ok, so the first 10 were easy!! so i kept going...by the time i got to 32, i was beginning to feel the burn in my arms...these were actually working! by the time i got to 50, i was truly feeling the burn. i tightened my upper body and pulled in my core and IMAGINED I WAS SARGE BANGING THESE OUT ON THE FLOOR WITH ONE ARM!! ...and continued. by the time i got to 75 i was feeling so proud...and pumped!! my arms were freakin on fire!!...so i continued on....feeling AWESOME...feeling so awesome that i started counting out loud when i hit the 90's!! 95-96-97-98-99... BOOM 100 done!! my arms are trembling even still as i type this BUT I DID THEM!! all 100, all at one time!! oooooooooo yeah!! AND I FEEL AWESOME!!!

WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!!
bring on the NEXT challenge jeanettey!!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 08-24-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Closed Thread