Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Default 20 Day Challenge

Hi everyone! I've definitely hit a plateau (@ 159) and I'm getting very frusterated. I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm working out and gaining muscle but seeing that number on the scale over and over is becoming really hard. I would like to do a short term, 20 day, bootcamp type diet/exercise to really break this plateau and get back on track. I chose 20 days because I don't get to see my significant other until at least August 13th because he is in the Army and is away on annual training until then. I want him to come home and be wowed at the progress I've made. I'm going to start on Sunday because I know I'll fail if I try to start on Friday or Saturday Is anyone interested in focusing really hard for 20 days to see how much we can lose??

My plan is this, work out for an hour before work, and an hour after work, and do an even mix of cardio and strength training. I'm going to focus really hard on my diet and eating very healthy while minimizing calories. I'm going to give up all sweets and the occasional alcohol I would normally consume. I'll weight in on Sunday to log my starting weight and record inches. I'm just trying to really kick start the weight loss!

Is anyone with me?!

Also, do you have any strict diet plans that have worked for you in the past??
lmb2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #2  
Looking forward

Height: 5' 6''

Hi lmb!
20 day challenge sounds great. I have been working on my eating this week and although I have not gotten as much exercise as I would like, I have been moving more than usual.

I know how important accountability and team work are so as the first commenter on this post I would be happy to join you. My husband and I are doing Weight Watchers at home (without meetings) and we weigh in on Saturdays. So Saturday will be my starting point rather than Sunday, however, I still think we can make it work. I hope we get more to join us but I will join you in this.

How do you want to proceed? Checking in every week at weigh in for sure and any other time we need support? I check this website everyday and will make a point to check this thread as well.

Prepare yourself well, that is my advice. I know for me, making sure I have healthy foods and alternative treats (lower in calories, etc) is what works when I work at it.

I look forward to this with you!

-Michelle

Last edited by Jade235; 07-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Jade235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #3  

Default Awesome!

Hi Michelle! Thanks for responding! Now there are two of us and like you said accountability is key. Saturday is fine to start and I think I'm going to check in every day just because I really want to be held accountable. I'm going to try and focus really hard for these 20 days and push myself past this plateau.

You are very right in that being prepared is crutial. Since I'm alone and will probably be bored this weekend, I'm going to cook and make snacks and meals that will help during this diet. My favorite diet snacks are hardboiled egg whites or pickled egg whites(red beet eggs) because they are tasty and very low in calories. I don't know if you've ever had pickled eggs but I moved from south central PA to the Philadelphia area and even at this short distance I have found that most people have not had them since I guess they are a PA dutch item. But they are great when on a diet because you can eat a ton for so few calories and I put salt and pepper on them so it really satisfys my salt cravings. Unfortunately I can't buy them pre-made in the grocery store here and they are a bit tedious to make but I'll spend Saturday cooking up a bunch so they are ready for when I start on Sunday. They are better homemade anyway lol

Are there any diet foods you love that you find satisfy cravings but are still low cal?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #4  
Looking forward

Well, today I just baked chocolate cup cakes using diet soda instead of the eggs and oil normally called for. On weight watchers website these are 3 points a piece which is pretty good for a baked good. I also make a new strawberry cheesecake recipe that I found with also 3 points a serving.

We use diet soda as our flavored drinks instead of regular to save calories there.

Popcorn is a great low cal snack that is quite filling and pretty cheap. Fruit is good as well of course.

I roast broccoli as a side dish with most of our meals and that is really good. I also make sauteed zucchini with salsa and a little bit of parm. So, so good!
Potatoes are pretty low in calories as well and we eat them quite a bit.

Hope that helps you! I'll check in as often as I can! Good luck with your pickled eggs!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #5  

Using diet soda as a substitute in baked goods is a really good idea! See I crave salt much more than sweets so I can stay away from sweets pretty easily but I'm tempted so much by salty fried food Popcorn is great for me on a diet as well as pickles lol

I've always contemplated doing WW because my mom did it a few years ago and lost a ton of weight. She has been doing it off and on ever since to maintain and it has really worked for her. If you keep up with it, it is basically guarenteed results as long as you don't cheat too much! I'm just too impatient

I'm currently 159 and my ultimate goal is to get back to 125-130 since I'm 5'4 but I'd honestly be sooo happy to see the 140's again! I'm hoping to hit 149 by the end of these 20 days. I know it's a hefty goal but I've been stuck at 159 for so long now (almost all of July) that I feel like my body is ready to drop some weight fast. I almost always hit plateaus when I reach 1_9. It's the weirdest thing like my body realizes I've dropped into a new 'bracket' and it decides to rest lol

I'm going to do what is called 'juicing' every so often during these 20 days because it has helped me break plateaus in the past. I don't know if you know what juicing is but you drink an all natural fruit juice (I usually choose high pulp orange juice) every 2 hours during the day and thats all you eat. You still get a decent amount of calories but I find it really cleanses my system and makes me feel better the next day. We'll see how it goes!

I'm really excited to start this and thanks a bunch for doing this 20 day plan with me!!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #6  
Looking forward

Happy to join, gives me a little bit more focus

I have heard of juicing before, although the version I have heard of is using a juicer and making homemade juice. But the OJ works for you that's great.

I'm sure you already have thought about this but just in case, I've heard that a high sodium diet can make people retain more water which means the scale won't move as much. I do like salty foods as well, so I understand the temptation. However, sweets are my downfall.

It's pretty much an addicition and I really want to break it. I want to be able to occasionally enjoy treats, desserts, etc without going overboard.

Maybe since you like salty foods you can look into changing out some of that salt for herbs and stuff.

Anyway, I think you can hit the goal of 149.

Last week I weighed in at 232. We will see what tomorrow brings. My goal in these 20 days is to also lose 10 pounds, bringing me into the 220 range for the first time in YEARS!!!

Happy to be a part of this with you!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #7  
Looking forward

Well, I guess this is kind of a cheat but since I technically started some of my weight loss focus last week, I'm taking this loss!

Weighed in last Saturday at 232. This morning I am at 229! 3 pounds lost and broke into the 220s!

So I think I may be able to meet my goal of 222 (maybe more) in the next 20 days!

Can't wait to hear how you're doing!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #8  

Congrats! That's awesome! I broke my plateau but unfortunately in the wrong direction I'm up to 162 but it's my fault, I was a nervous wreck this weekend because my boyfriend was under high medical alert during his army training because of the heat. And of course when I'm nervous I eat without even thinking Today he is better so I have my eating under control and I'm hoping to drop back down tomorrow because there's no way I gained 3 lbs in 1 day since I was 159 yesterday morning.

I think i'm going to juice tomorrow because it helps me to focus on a challenge when I'm nervous and even though he says he's fine now, I know he is sugar coating things so he won't upset me. I just can't wait until these 20 days are over! I hope you have been doing much better than me and I really think 222 is doable!!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #9  

I'm sorry, I just now saw what you said about the salt in your earlier post. I know, I know, salt is the worst! But, I try to use it in moderation and I drink a ton of water throughout the day so that helps a bit with the water retention. And I know what you mean about going overboard with sweets I just don't touch it usually because once I have a sweet I usually can't stop! I can't have chocolate or peanut butter in my apartment because I have no will power with it whatsoever and would sit down and eat an entire jar of pb with just a spoon (unfortunately it has been done- shame on me!).

My main thing I need to learn is better portion control. I love pasta and food that isn't exactly the best calorie wise, but I could eat it if I could just have one serving but I always end up eating a ton more than I should! Portion control is my main goal in the end. That and getting my butt up off the couch more often to work out.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/221/137

Height: 5'5''

Hi ladies,

I just joined 3fc today and stumbled upon this challenge. I decided that I needed a mini goal date so I chose it be be 8/20 since I have a weeding that day. I know thats a week after the goals ends but I'm hoping this challenge will help keep me motivated over the next month or so because I have some obstacles I know that will be hard to push through. This weekend I have my family reunion which is always centered around food and there is always way too much food and lots of yummy desserts which is definitely my strongest temptation. Then the second week in August, I am going to the beach for a week with some girlfriends. I want to stay determined to continue to workout and eat well that week and hopefully not gain any weight..I'm guessing it will be hard to loose any that week with the addition of the alcohol that I'm sure I will be drinking that week.

7/24: 237 and my goal by 8/13 is to be at least 230 and hopefully 227 by the wedding. I'm worried my goal may be a little too high but hopefully it will keep me motivated.

We can do this!
ashamalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #11  
Looking forward

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, I hope he is doing better.

I understand stress eating, I think a lot of us who have weight issues struggle with that in some respect.

Moving more is definitely always a good thing. lol

Last night, despite having a heavy meal for lunch, I had a lot of energy so I ended up going to a pick up soccer game that I usually go to with my husband, but he wasn't feeling well.

I am so glad I went because it helped me to be up and moving around for about an hour and a half, plus I got to be proud of myself because I played goalie and did a good enough job for all the guys (I was the only girl playing) to say something positive to me about it. I had one say that I was the best goalie they'd ever had!!!

So that was a definite pick me up plus I got about 3 activity points. Add that to the 4 I got on Saturday and I already have 7 by today! My goal is to earn myself 15 points! So already half way there.

Anyway, good start to my week, sending good thoughts to you for your week! You can do it!!!

Last edited by Jade235; 07-25-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #12  
Looking forward

Hi ashamalee and welcome!!
I definitely understand the temptation of food at family events!!!
My husband's family has great parties FILLED with wonderful food and I always go overboard! Now, if I were eating sensibly all the rest of the time, that may not be as bad, however, since I have not eaten well for consistent periods of time, it affects me.

Anyway, thank you for joining our little group here!

Your 20 day challenge can begin whenever, lmb and I just happened to be able to start on the same day. The point, of course, is to focus on consistency for the whole 20 days and working towards whatever goals you set for yourself.

I did not take the time to do this in my first couple of posts so I guess I will do it now.

My goal over the 20 days is to drop 10 pounds. I am 3 pounds towards that goal because I was basing that number off my starting weight from last week with was 232. So I guess you could say I have a 5 week challenge lol.

My plan to achieve this is:

Follow my Weight Watchers points (30 a day, plus 35 flex a week).

Set activity point goals for myself every week. This week 07/23-07/29 is to earn 15 points.

By achieving those goals I know I will succeed.

Thanks again for joining us! We know you can do it!

Last edited by Jade235; 07-25-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #13  

Congrats!!!! I played soccer back in the day and goalie was the last position I ever wanted to play lol I admire your courage because you probably had some pretty serious guys kicking that ball at you!

I'd love to get back into soccer but with my weight where it is, it's just too painful. I used to be a competitive gymnast for 10 years and then a cheerleader (mainly for the gymnastics) for another 4 years so my body is pretty banged up and I feel it the more I weigh unfortunately. Once I get to goal, I think I'll treat myself to a club soccer membership, or even better, open gymnatics sessions so I can flip again! Boy, that's some motivation! What I would give to tumble again!

That's the weird thing, back in gymnastics and cheerleading I couldnt get enough of working hard and exercising. I was the girl who didn't want to leave practice but would, only to go home and practice some more. I loved pushing myself and working hard during conditioning and training. And now look at me, overweight and it's such a challenge to get myself off the couch. It's quite depressing actually

I've been noticing on here that people will put rewards next to thier goals and note what day they reached each goal and I like that so here goes:

Current- 162
Goal 1- 149 (a new coach purse, from the outlet of course lol)
Goal 2- 139 (debut a pair of shorts or a mini skirt for the 1st time in a very long time)
Goal 3-129 (well first i'll freak out and jump up and down and want to scream for joy because I havent seen the 20s since around Junior yr of high school but then I'm going to go to my first open gym session!!)
Goal 4- 125 (i might faint but then i'm going shopping to buy my first designer lbd with some great lingerie and make sure that bad boy hugs all my new and smaller curves)

ok i think that covers it! Maybe I can get to 125 by halloween

Do you have rewards for your goals??
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #14  
Looking forward

My reward, I think, will just be how much better I feel and if I manage to lose 10 pounds my clothes will probably fit a lot better! lol

When I hit the 25 pounds lost mark I plan on finally going to a make up counter and getting new foundation and powder. I have been saying for a while now that while I do not need make up some times I want it and I want the foundation to look right. I have tried finding it on my own with not very good results.

So since, it is a bit of an indulgence (depending on who/where I buy) I figure 25 pounds is a good goal to set for that reward.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #15  

Welcome Ashamalee!! I apologize, I quickly scanned the thread yesterday and went past your post since we have the same profile picture! Nice taste! lol Thanks for joining! We can do this!

I have bad news yet good news. Well sort of. Bad news, still 162 this morning. But the good news is I think I know why and that is my upcoming TOM (sorry if that is TMI). I didn't drink nearly enough water yesterday so I'm attributing it to water weight. I'm juicing today so hopefully Ill see the number even out tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing? Hopefully very well!

Jade, I like your idea of a good foundation and powder as your reward! I've always wanted to do that but have never been able to bring myself to spend the money. I've always wanted to spend some money in Sephora! LOL But, I recently found a foundation and powder combo that I do really like that you can get at any drugstore. It's Loreal's true match roll-on foundation and compact. I like this combo very very much because you can choose the color you use based on whether or not your skin tone is warm cool or neutral. I have a very cool tones as far as hair, eye and skin tone but red cheeks due to very sensitive skin and when I use yellow based (warm) foundation it just brings out the red even more but the cool true match foundation covers it up so well, and I've gotten a lot of complements saying my skin looks so even and smooth. You could always give it a shot until you reach your goal and can splurge on your reward!