Couch to 5K Anyone? (C25K)

• Hi all!

I know there is an old thread for those doing the C25K but it seems to be dieing so I thought I would post a new thread and see if I can find some other chicks doing this program. I am in week 7 myself and would love some friends along the way. I'm be moving from this straight into the 10k training program.

Anyone intereted?
  • OK I have a question. I have a 5K that I have signed up for in June, so plan on doing the C25K program. The only problem is that I do not have a gym membership and right now its dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, so I am NOT running outside. I do have an elliptical, is there anything I can do with that, that is sort of the same as running?
  • Quote: OK I have a question. I have a 5K that I have signed up for in June, so plan on doing the C25K program. The only problem is that I do not have a gym membership and right now its dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, so I am NOT running outside. I do have an elliptical, is there anything I can do with that, that is sort of the same as running?
    Hi Peaches,

I completed this program a few years ago. After 6 months of elliptical work I was completely unprepared to run on the road for 3 miles. You can try it out, however you may have a better experience if you do at least a few road workouts. If you work 5 days a week, do the elliptical for 2 of the workouts, but do a weekend or day off run (or two if you can) on the road.

Though, many people run in the dark. I sometimes have to run late or really early (especially in the summer when daylight hours are just too hot). I know it may not be the most comfortable scenario, but part of this journey is breaking through our comfort zones...no?

Good luck!
  • OK thank you for the input. I plan to start running when its lighter out either in the morning or the evening. It would be different if I lived where there are street lights or something but I live out in the country and on a very dangerous road with absolutely no lights and no shoulder. Its hard enough to make it work when its light out.
    I do also plan on starting to run on the weekends. I was just hoping that the elliptical would start to build muscle and stamina bit before I get to work outside.
  • If you're concerned about traffic and visibility not crime, have you considered some combination of a headlight, reflective gear, and blinking things?

Look here to get some idea of what's out there: http://www.zombierunner.com/store/ca...ttime_running/ ; http://www.nathansports.com/our-prod...tive-led-vests ; http://www.niteize.com/collections/led
  • I am currently doing an elyptical work out too. It is way to cold for me to jog outside. I am looking foward to early spring so I can start the C25K again and work on speed...I can jog a 5K, but I am SLOW.

I remember from last year when I did the C25K that it was still difficult, even though I had been working out on the elyptical. I just kept thinking that it would have been even more difficult if I had not already been exercising a little.

I searched elyptical to c25k and most people seem to agree that it is a totally different type of exercise, but both are good. I might try the intervals for the C25K on the elyptical, just to shake up my elyptical work out a bit.
  • Hey everyone! I finished c25k this past November, and ran my first 5k race on Thanksgiving. Since then I have been slacking on my running, usually I'll make it out one or two times a week. I have been TRYING to start b210k, and for the past three weeks I have done w1d1, but haven't made it to day 2 yet!! haha. So today I did day 1 AGAIN, and I'm really hoping I can motivate myself to run again on Thursday, and then again on Saturday, so that way next Tuesday's run can be week 2!! haha.

The c25k program is amazing. I highly recommend it to everyone that is wanting to get in shape. Every week was challenging, but still doable, and I left (most) workouts feeling so great about myself. I haven't lost a ton of weight on the scale, but I get compliments ALL the time about how slim I look. It's 9 weeks, commit to finish it, you won't regret it!!
  • I'm doing this now, a little slowly since I only run two days a week. I am in week five and tomorrow I have to do my first 20 minute run. I did the two eights with a five minute walk in between yesterday and that wasn't too bad. I'm scared of the 20 though!
  • I love that program! I started around october or so and it got me jogging quite a bit. I kind of strayed off of it after I completed it, though.
  • Where do you ladies find the B210k program? I am looking for a podcast with some high energy music......
  • @Slim CB: unfortunately there aren't really ANY podcasts for b210k. I just got an ipod touch (like last week!! haha) and found a b210k app, but other then that I haven't found anything else. If you have an iphone or ipod touch definitely buy this app! It plays all of your music (which I love), but tells you when to run and walk.
  • I've just done the second of my C25K workouts, and came checking for a thread to see if it really is likely to work or not. Encouraging to read that if I keep this up I really could be running 5KM in a couple of months, which would be amazing

Am going to look into a podcast as setting up all the intervals on my phone timer is a little fiddly.