Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #1  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Default C25K: Get Running, Get Fit - Thread 2!

Hello Ladies!!!

After 17 pages and well over 500 posts, our first thread got shut down! Time for a new one. I'm too lazy to write a new motivational speech, so... Here's a copy/paste from the old one!

I think it's safe to say that most of us have heard of the C25K program! So many people rave about how wonderful and awesome and amazing it is, so why shouldn't we give it a shot, too!? I think it's time to make that effort!

In case you aren't aware, C25K stands for Couch-to-5K program! Over the span of 9 weeks, you use intervals of walking and jogging to build up your stamina, so you can eventually run a 5k race OR for 30 minutes straight. You can do this on a treadmill or just outside! There are all sorts of useful resources available for those that want to try taking on the challenge, even apps for your iPhone/iTouch!

You can find the program schedule, along with some other information at this link. Always remember that in the end, you are doing this for yourself, so if you feel that you need to modify the intervals or times to better suit your body, GO FOR IT!

I want this thread to become a group of friends who supports each other through the ups and downs of this learning process! So please feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't think you can't hop in because you're already well into the program! I'm sure anyone new would love having people with a little time under their belt to give some advice!

I'm very excited to progress with you guys! Lets make this happen, and get ourselves in gear!

Last edited by ninepaw; 09-13-2010 at 01:22 AM.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #2  
Diana Kay

Alright, so I had to make this thread again so I could say...

I RAN MY FIRST 5K TODAY!!!

It was pretty awesome, and I am so proud of myself that I really made it this far! I'm going to write a post in my blog about it that goes more into it than this, but I just HAD to get in here and shout about it a little!

Hope everyone moves to this thread well! I'd hate to lose people in the shift.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #3  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

So glad you started it again! I was missing it all day! Congrats on getting a 5k under your belt, I'll have to check out your blog because i want to know all about it.

As for me, I did W5D3 today, which is a 20 minute run. I made it, and I really didn't even think it was too bad. I was a little unsure of what I was going to do since I usually double the intervals, so that would mean 2 20 minute runs for me. Once I finished the first one, I did a five minute walk and figured I would just do whatever my body allowed. It allowed another 20 minute run!!! I feel totally awesome! I wanted to high-five myself when I was done! Dorky, I know, but those endorphins were great. I also kept my pedometer on only for the runs, so I actually got my running pace (it was a slow 3.93 mph) and I ended up running a total of 2.64 miles between the two runs. It's such a big accomplishment for me. Okay, enough about me. How was everyone else's weekend?
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #4  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Diana!!! I waited all day for you to post about your 5K. I checked the forum so frequently I felt like a freakin' stalker. I look forward to hearing all the details.

@Dudesmom - That's pretty awesome. Be careful not to overdo it though because that can lead to injury. Trust the wisdom of the plan. Maybe try switching to running for distance instead of time?

I think I think I posted this in the other thread but I'll say it again here. My run yesterday was fantastic - the weather was perfect and it was just one of those days when I slipped right into the groove. And I ran a 5K distance in under 40 minutes...still a wretched time but a huge accomplishment for me.

Happy running everybody!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Yay!

Great job, ninepaw! I can't wait to hear all about it!

I did w8d1 yesterday. Felt a little wonky at the end, but my blood sugar was getting a little low (have type 1 diabetes). Can't believe I ran 28 minutes in a row.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #6  

Height: 5'0"

Can't wait to read it Diana. Woo hoo!

Did W4D1 yesterday and struggled. I think it's because I haven't had the opportunity to exercise on my off days because I've been so busy. I DID walk vigorously for about two-8 counts of my last 5 minute run and was so MAD at myself for slowing down. It's been an off week for my weight loss in general. ToM...
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #7  

Congrats Ninepaw!!! I'm looking forward to reading all about it As for me, I started W2D1 today but I've been run/walking on my non C25K days too. So for today, every time I would get a good jogging pace going for my run interval, I had to stop and walk. After I finished I decided to skip ahead to W5 which all of you know is a straight 20 minute jog. And I did it! I couldn't believe it, it was like some crazy zone that I got in. Now my pace is another story because I'm pretty sure I'm slow as molasses. But I was jogging nevertheless and I feel amazing .
Meeky2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #8  
Diana Kay

Blog post is up, with pictures and all! Thanks everyone for the support, it was really amazing to me that I made it!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #9  
Vegging out

Ninepaw- read your blog, sounds like a fun day. That's awesome that you and your mom ran together, I'm sure having support running next to you really made it easier! Congrats on your first 5k!

Rochester- Thanks for the advice. I know in my head that I should probably tone it down a little, but it's hard because I really feel strong enough to do this, plus all this running has reminded me of how much I used to love running (I'm talking way back in the day when I was on the 7th and 8th grade track teams). Plus I also get that sense of accomplishment when I can actually do something like this. BTW-Congrats on running 5k in less than 40 minutes, I think that's awesome!

So tonight was a planned rest day for me. My original plan was to do homework as soon as my dudes were asleep, but they were just crazy today, so instead I did productive stuff like watched Jersey Shore. I haven't decided what I'm doing tomorrow, it's between another rest day (though I don't usually do 2 back to back) or W6D1. For now though, it is definitely homework time!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

I completed W4D2 this morning. Anyone else have a rough W4? The thing is, I know it's all mental. I slowed during two of the four runts today for about an 8-count each time. To make up for it, I ran some during my cool down.

Also, it is staying dark later in the mornings and that bums me out because I like AM runs. :-(
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannerenee View Post
I completed W4D2 this morning. Anyone else have a rough W4? The thing is, I know it's all mental. I slowed during two of the four runts today for about an 8-count each time. To make up for it, I ran some during my cool down.

Also, it is staying dark later in the mornings and that bums me out because I like AM runs. :-(
I had a tough week 4. Well, actually, everything between 2 and 4 were really tough for me. But it gets easier. I'm on week 9 day 2 now (1 left to go!) and I actually look FORWARD to running now. It is a very, very unfamiliar phenomenon and I kind of love it
Allowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #12  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

I jumped to week 8 today.
To be honest, today wasn't a great jog at all.
I hate it very much, and by the 17 minutes I wanted to quit, so I thought ok i'll do 3 more minutes but then by the 20 minutes I heard that voice "it's halfway" and magically I wanted to finish the jog. I mean, I still didn't like it until the very end, but I somehow manage to jog through 28 minutes. I did slow couple seconds here and there but overall I think I completed the jog today nicely.

I'm proud of myself. But still today isn't a great running day. And while typing this, I still have to admit I don't like running very much. But it gives me a good workout for my standard (and i dislike workout) so i guess i'll stick to it. I think the problem also lies in the fact that i run at home. And you know, always looking at your same old wall every time running, it can be boring to no end. Thank god I have my tv to accompany, but there is still about nature when you run outside that running at home can't compare. But my schedule just doesn't allow me to run outside.

And good job everyone, everytime I read this thread, I have some motivations to finish my jog. <3

Last edited by Annita; 09-14-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #13  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

I use a Nike+ to track my runs, and when you upload your data, if you've accomplished something noteworthy, a person pops up to announce it and congratulate you. (How cool is that?) This morning I was notified that I'd run my best mile yet, with a 12.22 pace. Sweet!

Happy running everybody! Life after C25K is spectacular!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #14  
Vegging out

I did W6D1 today, no problems. I only have 1 interval run left now before the long runs start for the rest of the program! I can't believe the end is so near. Then I need to start changing things up, like working on my pace and actually running outside. I guess I shouldn't get to far ahead of myself yet. Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! My name is Jessica and I just joined this site. I've been browsing the past few days and only just now stumbled upon this c25k thread! I actually started the program last week, and did w2d1 today . I've always hated running, to be honest, but I think it had more to do with the fact that it was forced upon me in school. Now that I'm 22, graduated from college, jobless, with nothing to do all day but work on my resume and cover letters, I figured why not? It will give me something to do, something to work toward, and it will be good for my body.

Last time I weighed myself I was 165 (say mid- August-ish). I've been the same weight since my senior year of high school, and now is the time to finally get down to a healthy weight! I'm only 5'2" so 165 puts me in the 'obese' range unfortunately .

I really don't want to make this about the weight though. I want to make it more about the way I feel, about the goals I'm achieving while running ... and the weight loss will be just an added perk. So, on purpose I am not weighing myself until October 1st. I know that the first few weeks running I am likely to put on muscle weight and won't lose very much if any at all... so instead of constantly weighing myself and being disappointed... I just won't .

Wow, that ended up being quite a bit longer then I intended! haha. Anyway, I look forward to following everyone's progress and cheering each other on!!

Jess
jesslaso is offline   Reply With Quote