Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #31  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Two new PRs on my run this morning! 5K distance - 38.32. 1 mile pace - 12.18.

I am living proof that this is possible. On June 1, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds! Dream big everybody...and keep running!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #32  

Thanks everybody :-D

Just got done with B210K w1d1, 40 minutes of running, ahhhh! My calves are starting to hate me again, kind of like they did when I started C25K!
Allowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #33  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Well, didn't get to W6D3 last night because (insert excuses here, some better than ohters!), but i did it tonight. Not bad at all, my mind was a billion miles away from running so the time flew. i know some of you run to music, I run to my thoughts! I have no idea of my speed or distance, just that I ran 25 minutes straight and I felt like I could do more, but I didn't. Had a crappy eating day, but tomorrow is back in the saddle and hopefully I'll remember how these crappy foods made me feel sleepy, barfy, and just generally yucky. Enough from me for now.

Rochester and Allowatt-Glad that you grads are having post c25k success. Can't wait to join your ranks!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey all! Brilliantly inspiring to hear of all the success people have been having so far!

I did W4D1 this morning - I found it much more tiring than Week 3, with the 5 minute runs, but I got through it! I wasn't jogging quickly at all, but I'm just really happy to have done today's run since I was so worried about the five-minute runs when I was looking ahead in the schedule.

It's really interesting to hear what people are thinking of doing after the programme. Like a number of you have said, I think I'm also really interested in doing something to increase my pace whilst running - I'm really pleased to be doing C25K at my current (slow!) pace, but I think it would be great for fitness to be able to try it again at a quicker pace once I've got through the programme. I also don't want to do something that takes too long every day - because C25K is roughly half an hour, it fits in so easily before I go to work, but I think if I did a programme that was more like an hour, I'd have to rejig things and really think about it because it's more of a time committment. I'm thinking something of higher intensity but equal duration might work for me, so the C25K but sped up could be good! I suppose I'll see how I feel once I finish (fingers crossed!)
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #35  

Height: 5'0"

I am having a really hard time. I did W4D3 Friday and just couldn't run the whole time I was supposed to. It wasn't because I was tired or sore, I just couldn't/ didn't do it. HELP! Should I repeat W4 or Just one day?

I didn't run yesterday because I went to a brewfest all day Saturday and was in no shape for running Sunday AM. Also, I notice my runs are more difficult when I am not hydrating so I ate well and drank a lot of water yesterday and am making sure I do again today so I can run tonight. But what should I do? Do I move on to W5???
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #36  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannerenee View Post
I am having a really hard time. I did W4D3 Friday and just couldn't run the whole time I was supposed to. It wasn't because I was tired or sore, I just couldn't/ didn't do it. HELP! Should I repeat W4 or Just one day?

I didn't run yesterday because I went to a brewfest all day Saturday and was in no shape for running Sunday AM. Also, I notice my runs are more difficult when I am not hydrating so I ate well and drank a lot of water yesterday and am making sure I do again today so I can run tonight. But what should I do? Do I move on to W5???
Here's my opinion on the subject: If you're not making it through the 5 minute runs, don't move on to week 5 yet. W5 has 5, 8, and 20 minute runs, so you really need to be able to get through a 5 minute before you move on. If I were you, I'd repeat W4. Maybe even slow your pace way down for those 5 minute runs, then when you get to that mental block where you feel you "need" to walk, you can tell yourself your pretty much walking with a bounce, so there's no need to actually walk. At this point, it's not really the pace that matters, it's just getting through it. Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject. Good luck to you!

Whoops, I forgot to mention, if it's just the thought of running 5 minutes that has you so psyched out, maybe break it up in your mind. Basically, a 5 minute run is just two 2 1/2 minute runs. Or, once you make it to 2 1/2, tell yourself you're halfway there. That helps me out SOOOO much! I have done that with not only the running intervals but the intervals in general since I started c25k, and it's helped me tremendously. It's almost like a mantra "Halfway done, 3/4s done, all done!"

Last edited by dudesmom; 09-20-2010 at 05:20 PM.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesmom View Post

Whoops, I forgot to mention, if it's just the thought of running 5 minutes that has you so psyched out, maybe break it up in your mind. Basically, a 5 minute run is just two 2 1/2 minute runs. Or, once you make it to 2 1/2, tell yourself you're halfway there. That helps me out SOOOO much! I have done that with not only the running intervals but the intervals in general since I started c25k, and it's helped me tremendously. It's almost like a mantra "Halfway done, 3/4s done, all done!"
I use the "halfway" method too. Because even if I was running 30 minutes straight, I would get tired at 10 minutes. Then I would think about something else for a few minutes, get to 15, and say, "Hey, halfway there! You can do that again." I also listen to audiobooks when I run so if you can get enveloped in that, you don't realize how tired you are (or how tired you're *not*) and you can't play headgames with yourself. That was always my problem with running, the headgames. Distraction is totally key!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Oh, yes the halfway method, lol. I tell myself, "Ok, I can do this for five more minutes..." and then so on, and so on. It's getting easier.

I finished week 8 today! I can't believe that I'm only 3 runs from completing this! My 28 minutes today were SO much easier than my first 20 minute run.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #39  

Thanks! I think I am going to stop trying to rush the program so I can run my 5K on 10/17. I might go to just running 3 days a week instead of every other day and am going to repeat W4. I am going to sign up for a local Thanksgiving day race and make that my goal date.

I don't want to set myself up for failure/ quitting.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

So, I haven't posted in the C25K thread in ages. I'm kind of disappointed. I've still been doing the program somewhat but I've just been repeating W5D2. For ages.

I've been afraid of disappointing myself by not being able to do W5D3. I decided to give it a try today. Things went so-so. All of my workout pants are now too big (YAY!) so I used a safety pin to try to pin it up. Didn't work LOL. During my run, the safety pin popped open and stabbed me in the side! So...I completed the 20 minute run but I had to stop maybe about 5 or 6 times (only for a few seconds) to try to hold up my pants and get the safety pin back in place. I'll be repeating it again.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Ok so I have been MIA for a while now. Too many things going on, business trip, etc totally threw me off track. Then came home sick!
So...head cold is getting slightly better, figured I would try a run tonight. Starting over again basically as I have had about three weeks of no running. So lets say, W1D1 was today. Run was longer than supposed to be, but felt good. Can't wait to see how well it goes when I can actually breathe again.
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey all

It's fantastic to read what you're all saying, I am finding reading about other people's experiences and advice (particularly around the Week 4 / Week 5 period) incredibly helpful and motivating! It's particularly useful since I've just completed W4D2 this morning and I'm finding a lot of the great advice being given very helpful too.

leannerenee - It sounds as though we're almost on the exact same place in the programme! I too have found the 5-minute runs in Week 4 very challenging. I have been getting through it, but seriously, my pace is so slow. I don't intend to be a fast runner with my first go at the C25K, and I'm not joking, I think my jogging pace is barely faster than a walk. It was actually quite embarrassing today, there was this chap walking ahead of me, and he heard me coming and looked around, but obviously I took way longer to catch up with him than he thought, because of my slow jogging! That said, for me, after feeling like I was going to explode by doing runs far too fast during Week 1, I've not really set speed as a goal for this programme (not for the first go at C25K anyway!). Even with my slow jogging, I know my heart rate is up significantly more than walking, and I basically go as fast (or slow!) as I feel I can go whilst still making it to the end of each interval. Despite the slow pace, I do find it a real push to do the Week 4 runs, and I've felt tired and out of breath by the end of the workout, but I am getting through it. If it helps, I'd definitely try just slowing your pace a little bit, to make it that much more manageable! It's definitely a good idea to repeat it if you're finding it too much to get through the longer runs, because like you say, there's no rush and it's better to take it as it comes rather than force it if it doesn't feel right

pink sparkle - You have my sympathy with clothing malfunctions, although yours sounds particularly painful! When I woke up to do a run the other day, I managed to break the bloody drawstring on my trousers by pulling it too tight, leading to a very fiddly and very annoying time trying to feed the repaired drawstring back through the tiny hole! That definitely sounds great about the 20 minute run through. Totally understand why you want to repeat it, but it must be great for confidence to know that you can do it

Question for you all, whatever stage you are at: What week or day of the programme have you found most challenging so far? Do you find that where you are currently (if it's as far through the programme as you've ever been) is the toughest? Or do you find weeks where there are bigger jumps in running length and number of intervals the most challenging?

For me, so far, I've definitely found Week 4 the hardest, and that's where I am now. I found the five minute runs really tough! The next hardest, for me, was Week 1. This was partially because I was running too fast, but also I found it hard as there were just so many intervals to do!

I'd be really interested to read your thoughts on this
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #43  

I just completed the program last week and I remember week 4 being the hardest. But it comes and goes, everything gets way easier if you are diligent with it.

Case in point, I ran 4 miles this morning :-D I couldn't run 3 minutes at the beginning of July.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #44  

pink sparkle - Good for you for still getting through it, Wardrobe Malfunctions and all! :-)

allowat- That was so encouraging to read! Look at what you've been able to do in a month and a half.

tinycities- My running pace is pretty slow as well. I am going to try to slow it down more for these 5 minute runs.

So I'm sick and haven't run since Friday. I decided my new running schedule is going to be Tues, Thurs and Sat. I am going to Yoga tonight and hopefully will feel well enough to run tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Everyone's posts are so inspiring!!

This week was supposed to be week 3, but halfway through last week I decided to run outside as opposed to the treadmill .... and it was a big shock at how different and more difficult it is to run outside! So I've had to completely redo week 2 running outside this time. So at this point I've officially done five days of week 2, but that's okay! I can definitely tell I'm improving, today my run was a lot better then my first run outside!

I plan on doing one more day of week 2 on either Friday or Saturday, and then starting week 3 on Monday.

My recommendation to anyone just starting the program is to NOT run on the treadmill, especially if your end goal is to run in a 5k race at the end like me.

And also, I wanted to tell all of you about dailymile.com. I don't know if any of you are members there, but it's a great website to post your workouts. It's actually a lot like facebook, but for athletes :P.

Jess
jesslaso is offline   Reply With Quote