Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

tinycities, I use this website to figure out how far I've run gmap-pedometer.com. I'm also a member on dailymile.com, and you can also track your distance on there. On DM when you put your distance and time it will give you your pace, which I like because it's easier to see how I'm improving :P.

pinksparkle, I did w6d3 today and it was alright. I definitely did not run the whole thing. I stopped three times, each time for about 30 seconds to a minute. I calculated that in 25 minutes I ran two miles, which is not so bad considering that I took breaks =/. I still have a month left until my 5k (on Thanksgiving), so now I plan on veering a bit from c25k... I think I will do the 25 minute runs until I can run the whole thing, and then I'll up it to the 28 minute runs and so on.

Hi cookc04! Sorry to hear that you were sick, but that's great that you are restarting and with friends! You can run together and motivate each other .
jesslaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #152  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I completed W7! I've been back to running up and down my hallway for the past 2 weeks and I forgot to lock the kitten in my bedroom and I stumbled over her and I fell (bad kitteh!), but other than that, I did really, really well! Well, I also broke the fall with my worse knee and now it hurts more than it usually does again, but yeah, other than that I did great! I felt like I was a lot faster and a lot more confident. In the end I was sort of lightheaded and I was smiling, which hasn't happened since the one time I ran outside and in the presence of my mom and I tried to impress her. But without the shortness of breath and the bright red face. I think that I had been holding back and that there was no reason too.

tinycities, I live in Thessaloniki now, but I come from Trikala. You probably haven't even heard of it, but you may know Meteora? You have visited the islands, I assume? It has been pretty cold here lately. It's warm for a couple of days and then it suddenly gets really cold and then it starts over again. I'm not very fond of cold. I was reading about the UK at some point and under Climate it said "Rain". Too funny!

I decided that after I complete C25K I want to start 30DS. So, I think that I will just keep running -if what I do can be called running- for 30 mins every other day until I'm done with the 30DS. I have been looking into 10K programms, too. I liked "Ease into 10 K" and I think I might give it a try at some point. So far it seems like the challenges are good for me. They keep me engaged. I used to think that I would go to 10K and from there to 13 and so on and so forth, but then I started reading things about nipples bleeding and other pretty things like that, so I think 10K is as far as I'll get. If I even get there. But I do want to up my speed before I move on to 10K and your idea sounds like a great one!
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #153  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I did W2D2 and it was good....i guess. I had to be pushing through mentally but I did it. I wonder if I will be able to run 5mins straight much less 30mins???
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

So I know I said I'd start with W2 and do it twice and all that, but that hasn't happened. Today was my running day and I REALLY didn't feel like going. In fact, I didn't until 8 pm when it was 40 degrees outside. Oy. Poor timing. I guess the thing that got me out the door was the realization that I don't have any "lazy" weeks left to spare before "real" training begins for a 10-mile mud/obstacle race that I stupidly signed up for at the end of January. Well, not too stupidly because I really want to do it, but I should've given myself more time to get fit enough to run the whole thing.

So my roommate dragged me out the door after we'd layered up with the all the non-cotton cold exercise things we own (which wasn't much) and decided we'd run to the store to get some more non-cotton cold weather exercise things for future runs, since we'd be doing a lot more of them now. Fall/winter is probably not the best time to get into running, but such is life. So we went on a mini-shopping spree at Marshalls and since we couldn't run with our bags of stuff, we headed to the grocery store for dinner. I was kind of glad we'd gotten more clothes since we kind of needed to layer up even more on the walk home.

Anywhos, the run to the clothing store wasn't very long, but enough to do W1D2 of C210K (similar to W1D2 of C25K), which is the current plan I'm following because after looking at the amount of time before my big race, I realized I really need to step up the training and get fit quickly but safely. So instead of C25K, I will be doing C210K, which is a very similar program (walk/job intervals) but takes 13 weeks to get you to running a 10k. And since I'm somewhat fit in that I'm not a complete newbie to running, just have sat on my butt for way too long since I was last in shape, I figured this was a good fit for me. Hopefully.

Doing this will give me enough time to then up my mileage by an easy 10% a week (the recommended safe way to run longer) to get to 9.4 miles the week before the race. That should be perfect and hopefully ease my nerves about the distance, assuming I stick with this that long. I kind of have to now, so I hope that's motivation enough. If I don't train, then there's no way I can "coast" through this race. There's no other choice.

Oh, and my consoling thought about those last 0.6 miles I won't have ran in training, is that I'm coming from elevation to sea level. I hope that's enough to get me through the race alive, because that's all I'm going for

Ok, that's all about me and my plan. I hope I can still post with you ladies even though I'm not exactly doing C25K since there's isn't a C210K forum or anything like it (if there is and I'm missing something, then please let me know). We technically have the same idea going, just a slightly different timeline.

And my next posts most definitely will not be this long. I promise

Marniadec - Congrats on finishing up W7!!! I can't imagine being able to run 25 minutes straight. Right now I'm working on a mile (very slowly and not quite there yet, but that's my goal). Keep it up and go longer, if you feel up for it

Slim CB - Awesome job on getting through that workout. Getting mentally fit can be just as difficult as physically fit, at least that's been my experience. You got it, though!
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #155  
Maria

Slim CB, don't even think of it this way! Just focus on the day you have to complete every time and trust yourself and the program and you'll make it. When I started, I didn't even think I'd manage to run for 90 seconds and look where I am now! If you really want this, you can definitely do it!

augeremt, thank you so much! I'm actually thinking about skipping straight to the last week, because I'm afraid that I'll just maintain while I'm in my hometown and I really don't want to take an other break. Getting 2 runs in will be easier than 5. I really want to stick with the program, though. I had never heard of the C210K before. It looks good, but I'd be too scared to try it when I first started! Good luck with it!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #156  

Today I started week 7! Ran 2.27 miles in 25 minutes, 11 minute pace wooo . Pretty stoked about this! If I could run a 33 minute 5k that would be beyond any of my expectations!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #157  

jesslaso - congrats! Week 7! Thats impressive

Today I want to do W2D3...I find that I am doing running twice a week instead of three times as I also go to the gym and can only fit the running in twice a week. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

I really want to pace myself as sometimes my knees hurt but at the same time I want to build up my endurance. I will post this evening or tomorrow to let you know how my run turns out.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #158  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Great to see this thread! Congrats on all your accomplishments!

I'm just re-starting the c25k program. I was running 5 km last year, but I stopped and now I'm re-starting. I want to start out slow and build up to where I was before.

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi. Keep going!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #159  
Maria

jesslaso, that is great! You're, like, really running already!

Slim CB, I don't think it's a problem. You'll just finish later. Since you work out the other days, too, it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome Jojo381972!

I tried W8D1 today. It was awful. I tried to run outside, early in the morning. It was *freezing* and I wore this thin, short-sleeved t-shirt, because I figured that I'd be hot later. Except I didn't make it to later. The knee I hurt, well, hurt and the cold caused some scars I have from getting burned last year to start hurting and I had to stop. I'll run again inside the house on Monday, when my parents will be gone and my brother will be asleep.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #160  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

I did W3D1 today. I took two weeks off running because my previously bad knee started to feel stiff and off, but today I ran the 3 minute intervals without problems.

Marniadec, it's cold, but nice to run outside right now. We have no frost (but we had snow earlier this month) - there's definitely no running in a t-shirt though; I wear jackets and gloves and headwear!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #161  

Slim CB, I don't think it will be a problem, as long as you're still getting out there and running!!

Marniadec, some days you get out there to run and it just doesn't work out! I would still try to run outside - there is so much more to look at and keep your mind occupied .

mette, glad you got back on track after your knee started to feel better. You're in Norway? Last year I studied abroad in Sweden (Uppsala) and went to Norway twice. It's very expensive, but yet so beautiful! I really want to go back...

I did w7d3 yesterday and I'm really struggling with running the full 25 minutes. Yesterday I stopped once for one minute at 21:00... I don't understand why I didn't keep on going, I was only four minutes away from finishing! Oh well. I'm going to do week 7 until I can fully get the 25 minutes down, and then I'll move to the 28 minute runs.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey all! It's been a few days since I last posted but I have enjoyed reading about your progress so far!

I finished Week 8 yesterday morning and will be doing W9D1 tomorrow morning. My schedule got a bit messed up because I meant to do W8D3 on Friday morning, but had an early morning teaching committment, so I decided to put back my run until Monday of this week instead. All being well, I will complete C25K this coming Sunday (if I feel like a weekend run) or Monday morning! I can't believe the time has gone so quickly, it seems like just yesterday that I was posting on this forum after having done W1D1 and feeling like I was about to explode!

The run I did yesterday was 28 minutes, and just before the last minute, the podcast guy reminds you that there's a minute left and to try and push it if you can. So I did - I really ran, almost as fast as I could, and I absolutely loved it! Typically, I jog fairly slowly because that's all I can manage with the longer distances/times, but it's really great fun to really go for it and run fast for a minute or so at a time! It gives me such a rush, and it's such a great high, I feel so energised, light, and healthy, a really wonderful feeling!

jesslaso - That's such a brilliant speed, well done! Best of luck with the 25 minute runs - I am sure you will be able to get them down in no time!

mette - I really hope your knee feels better soon! Take care of it I have such difficulties knowing what to wear when running! At the moment I run in a vest top and long tracksuit bottoms. It's pretty cold in the mornings but not freezing yet, probably somewhere between 5 - 8°C. My arm flab (haha!) feels pretty chilly when I've finished running, but I get fairly warm when I run (I run by the sea and the sun reflecting off it makes me quite hot!).

Marniadec - I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad time on W8D1! Sounds horrible, I hate when that sort of thing happens. I do definitely prefer running outside, but in situations where it'd make you really uncomfortable like you describe, it doesn't sound like a good idea! Ahah, our climate really is "rain"!! Given that us Brits are a nation famed for constantly going on about the weather, you think we'd have a more interesting, dramatic climate... but no, it does just tend to be quite bland! Think lots of white skies, nothing really happening with the weather, not really hot but not freezing either... that's it! Haha. I have been to Greece a couple of times, but it was years ago! Once to the mainland (exploring around the Athens sort of area!), and then once to an island (Paxos). I really loved it!

Jojo381972 - Welcome and good luck with doing the programme! It must be really nice to know you are capable of running the 5K if you have done it in the past, so I hope you have fun restarting C25K!

pink sparkle - I'm really excited to hear how you are doing - you must have finished C25K or be just about finished now! I can't wait to hear about your progress

Slim CB - I don't think that will be a problem at all I have been mostly doing the programme so a "week" of the programme corresponds with an actual calendar week, but I don't see what's wrong with spacing it out more! Recently I have had to be flexible because of other committments getting in the way, but I figure, so long as you stick to some sort of schedule, it doesn't matter if you have longer breaks in between your runs and do it just twice rather than three times a week! What matters is sticking to it

augeremt - Good luck with the C210K! This is definitely a good place to post, because even though it's not the exact same plan, it's based on the same principles and so I think lots of people will be able to support you Best of luck with your 10-mile race! When is it happening? Are you training/running with your roommate? That sounds really fun, I think it would be really motivating to have a friend to run with! Hope your plan is going well so far!
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #163  

Hi all,

I did not go running at all last week. I am finding it hard to fit running in my work out schedule. The thing is I go to the gym probably around 4 times a week. In addition, I want to incorporate some weight training in my routine as my gym classes are mostly cardio. So I recently bought a Jillian Michaels DVD which I want to fit into my routine too.

I guess I want to do too many things at once as I really want to start running 5ks in January 2011.

Sigh..........any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

tinycities, I'm actually doing W9 all over again. I guess I could technically say I've completed it but in the past week or so I've had quite a few days where I'll run and then just give up and do a different exercise after about 20 minutes. The boredom is really getting to me. I can't seem to shake it. I redid W9D1 today. I'm going to try D2 tomorrow. Things have just been blah.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

So, I redid W9D2 today. Last night I had put some new videos on my phone to try to beat the boredom. It worked! I ran for 45 minutes. Just a little bit under 4 miles.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote