Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 214/177/165lb (97/80.5/75kg)

Height: 5'7" (170cm)

Wow, this thread is such an inspiration! Is it ok if I join in?

So about me...I'm 25 (well, 26 in June) and I've been overweight since I was about 15. Before that I was always very sporty and active, and could eat anything I wanted, but as I got older I stopped exercising and started binging. The highest I've ever been is around 210lb (at least 3 different occasions) and the lowest as an adult is around 179lb.

In the past I've lost maybe 14-21lb on Weight Watchers, but I always got tired of paying a fortune for someone to weigh me. Long-term, I knew I needed to completely change my life from within if I was ever going to make this work.

I moved a step closer to that in February last year, when I started swimming almost every day, and cut down on binging a bit. By summer I was in the best shape I'd ever been as an adult, felt confident in a bikini and was so optimistic.

However, in September I moved house and started a new job, and had to leave my gym. Finally, in mid-April this year I suddenly realised I'd put on 30lb in only about 8 months. It really was a wake-up call, enough to make me change my entire lifestyle overnight.

I joined a new gym near my house, starting swimming every morning before work, began tracking calories and eating a balanced diet and haven't binged since. Most of all, I'm not stressing or getting obsessive. I eat what I feel like (although every day I feel less like eating junk food), and I still enjoy eating out now and then, and go out partying most weekends. I just try to fit the extra calories into my allowance or do some more exercise to compensate, and if not, well tomorrow is another day. No need to be guilty, no big blow-out just because "I've already ruined my diet today". Just making choices and being in control. With this and the regular exercise, I feel SO much better already!

Well, sorry for the big essay, it just came out like that! So basically I calorie count, try to eat a balanced diet and get some exercise every day, nothing fancy. Today I reached Onederland, 198lb (89.7kg) and I weigh myself most days at the gym, but only weigh in once or twice a week.

On this plan I want to step up the exercise - currently a 20-minute swim (around 1km) and walking to work and back (that's at least 30 mins brisk walking daily), with occasional crosstrainer sessions. I also want to be a bit stricter with the calorie counting. Realistically I'd like to lose 28lb by September (at least 8 by end of June, when I'm going to a friend's wedding).

Thanks so much for creating this group. I hope together we can help to inspire and motivate each other!

L x
rainbow84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #107  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Hello Rainbow!!! Very happy to have you! I love your plan, it's pretty much like mine... Only I don't calorie count. But in terms of eating what I want and not stressing when I eat more than I should... You basically hit the nail on the head! I can't wait to watch you progress with us!

Oh, and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on reaching ONEDERLAND!!!
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #108  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Rainbow.

Diana - I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. Love the Amazing Race goal. lol (I can't figure out how to comment on your blog from my 3FC blog....)
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I also went shopping with a friend. It took her some effort, but she finally convinced me I am a size TWELVE. I couldn't believe it! Just back in November I was a snug 20. I can not believe I can wear 12's. AND this morning, I buttoned and zipped...with effort...a very uncomfy, very unflattering pair of size 10's.
WOW I can't wait to be in a 12! Go you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEKS View Post
I'm adding a B/A pic..hopefully lol. It's not indicitave of my heighest/current weight...but it shows some differences. I think first one I was about 295 and the second about 265
WOWZA! I would have NEVER thought that 30 pounds would be that big of a difference! You look AMAZING! Keep it up...that is very inspirational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
As I read through these posts, I made a list of everyone who is participating and their goal. Thought I'd share it (in case anyone else is a compulsive list maker/checker like me! )

So here's the list by screen name/real name/start weight/goal weight/goal total

(Some of them I couldn't find all the info, or I tried to do the math. Sorry if it's wrong! )

Mckenziesmomma (Melissa) 263/218 (45)
Eliana 185/155 (30)
Vertigosky (Danielle) 165/145 (20)
Julie131 (Julie) 154/135 (19)
TornadoSiren (Kris) 167/135 (32)
fcmonroe (Frances) 232/209 (23)
shadowclaw (Linda) 295/?
Aleks 260/245 (15)
Wilma729 275/?
Xooma 160/?
cheerios 175/160 (15)
WormwoodDoll (Corine) 213/185 (28)
dancerindenver 170/150 (20)
TheWildcat 140/125 (15)
TERAPET 167/152 (15)
TeaRose 207/?
ninepaw (Diana) 249/229 (20)
Rochester 228/199 (29)
This is AMAZING! Thanks for taking the time to do this!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe how busy this thread is! You guys are chatty....and I LOVE that! I can't tell you how important it is to me that you are all coming here and sharing....it helps me and others so much!

I hope you are all having a good holiday weekend. I went to the library and checked out the book YOU on a diet by Dr. Oz. So far its really good! I'll share some tips from the book over the next few days that I found interesting.

TTYL!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #111  
Diana Kay

Rochester: Well, nice to know someone other than my mother is looking at it now! And I'm serious, she really does. And as for commenting... Yeah, I dunno. That's what I get for starting a blog through blogspot instead of 3FC!

Melissa: So glad you enjoy the chatter... I'm kind of addicted to the boards, and this might be my favorite thread I'm participating in right now! So I post. And post. And POST!!!

On an entirely seperate note, I today decided, after Rochester mentioned it and I looked into it and thought it over pretty much ALL FREAKING DAY... I am going to try C25K!!! I've always wanted to be able to run, always, and I've never really managed because I never knew where to start... This seems perfect, and I am so excited! I went out and bought better shoes(the shoes I've been working out with were like... $15 at walmart once upon a time, and I know runners need decent shoes!), and I have to say I think the ones I bought today are AWESOME. We'll see how I feel about them when I do day one tomorrow... Yeah, that's right. I said tomorrow! Might as well get started while I'm all crazy excited! I don't have any plans for this holiday weekend, anyway. Why not exercise?

I'm going to buy the iPhone app, which has audio alerts to let you know when to run/when to walk. You can have your own music playing while you use it, it has the plan for each week/day in there... I'm super stoked. Totally worth $3, methinks! I also picked up some multivitamins while I was at the store earlier... Which has nothing to do with C25K, but I've kinda been meaning to anyway, so I grabbed the ones my Dr. recommended to me a while back. I'm feeling so upbeat and productive, guys... So happy! Sorry for taking over the thread, for the bazillionth time!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #112  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone!! I made it through Olive Garden with NO breadsticks and NO pasta. I did have two bites of tiramisu. Today we are not eating out!! I need an easy day today.

Scale is stuck. It probably won't move until after TOM. My body is just kind of stubborn that way.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #113  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I like Dr. Oz! I've learned a good deal from watching his show. I DVR and watch pretty much anything weight loss related. I skip a lot of his other topics because honestly, the man could have me paranoid. I'm prone enough to germ phobias without his help.

Ninepaw, I think it's great you're giving C25K a go! It really is a great running program. I recommend deciding now that you're going to run for length of time not distance. There's a big difference. The program assumes you're running at a pace of 6.0, which in my opinion, is very unrealistic. I'm up to a comfortable 4.5 myself. 6.0 feels like a sprint. The actual distance of 5K takes me about 42 minutes and the program thinks it's going to take me 30 minutes. That was my only issue with the program. Are you going to run outside or on a treadmill? If it's on a treadmill, I suggest making sure you have an incline of 1% to mimic outdoor running.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #114  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Fcmonroe, it is stuck for me too. And it's stuck UP at 185 too. I'm not sure what's going on. How do you workout 2-3 hours six days a week and not move the scale?!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Eliana and Fcmonroe-Don't sweat the number on the scale. Stick to your plan and it will all add up eventually. In the meanwhile, continue to enjoy the progress you have made in your journey to this point. I like to also visualize where I expect to be in the near future. Keeping my eye on the prize helps keep those scale fluctuations from ruining my day.

ninepaw-Good for you for taking on the C25K. I have done running off and on and really enjoy the runners high. I agree with Eliana on the pace. Running has always been a bit of a chore for me but I love the results.

I have 2 tough days to maneuver. Today is my birthday and the family is getting together for lasagna and cake. Actually that should not be so difficult since I know the lasagna will go fast! My DH also bought my favorite pastry for breakfast in honor of my birthday. Silly man. So far I haven't touched it. I don't think I can eat only a little plus I already have more calories then I can handle planned for today. In addition, tomorrow I have both a neighborhood pool party and plans for dinner out. The only thing I can say is, at this point I cannot bear to watch the scale move up. I have a bad habit of gaining 10 pounds every fall and taking it off every spring. I am kinda desperate to take off those 10 pounds so I can wear my summer clothes!

So after reading your posts I think I will try running outside this morning. I have not done that for awhile.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Eliana and FC - sorry you guys are stuck but as Mandalynn often points out we use the scale because it's convenient not because it's the best tool for measuring fat loss. I hear that major workouts cause microtears in your muscles that make your muscles swell up with water masking weight loss. Not the same as puffing up with bloat after a high sodium meal but the effect is similar. Keep an eye on how your clothes are fitting around your waist and I wouldn't be surprised if you see progress there while your muscles are healing.

Terapet - happy birthday!!! Good luck with the b-day temptations - can you ask that there be a giant salad alongside the lasagna? That's helped me a bunch of family meals.

rainbow - welcome! This is a fun thread!

fc - you are a rock star for doing so great at olive garden - I'm seriously impressed!

ninepaw - good for you for getting new running shoes - preventing injuries is really smart. My little $.02 would be as you're starting to run go as slow as you need to in the very beginning. A lot of runners try to go too fast and not surprisingly it's too hard and they give up.

mcK - I'll be curious to hear what you think about the book. I heard him talk about super foods one time and it made a real impression. I try to make sure I incorporate a lot of them in my diet.

No movement on the scale this morning for me but no bounce back up either so it looks like last week's two pounds may be real instead of imaginary. Not sure what I'm going to do for exercise today yet - either rollerblading or running and probably yardwork. I got some cute things on the clearance rack at Kohls yesterday and am looking forward to having something fun and flattering to wear to a family bbq at my parents' tonight. What's everyone else up to today?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #117  
The girl who can

Haaaaaaappy birthday, Terapet!

Diana....Hooray that you're trying C25k! I can't wait to hear all about how awful Day One was. (j/k)

Frances & Eliana...I think we're all using the same scale and I think it's broke. Yeah, I'm stuck also.

I can find a half dozen things I did wrong this week so I guess I should be glad that at least I didn't gain. I didn't binge, I didn't cheat (much ). Actually, I think the biggest culprit was not eating enough. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I had NO appetite so I didn't eat much. I had less than 1,000 calories all three days. Yeah, I know... The good thing, though, is that normally if I don't eat regular meals my blood sugar goes all wonky, and this week it didn't so I know that at least I've gotten that better under control.

I've been taking baby steps getting this whole diet/exercise thing started. If I do too much too soon, I kinna have a tendency to freak out and run away. This week I'm starting my workout routine. I'm very nervous about doing the C25k plan. I have about a zillion questions I wish I could ask someone, and I keep fretting that I'm going to have a heart attack or something and it will be hours and hours before someone comes along to find me in the ditch by the side of the road. (Welcome to the crazy side of my personality. I visualize the absolute worst and then obsessively fret about it. )

So, I've got my food all planned for the week, I'm going to eat enough calories whether I want to or not, I'll drink more water, and the exercise routine starts Monday. And I'm taking a hammer to the scale if it doesn't have good news next Sunday.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

rochester: mine is not quite right on the list.

My start weight: 265
My goal weight: 240
Target: 25 pounds

ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #119  
The girl who can

Sorry Aleks. I suck at math! Here's the list corrected and updated...

screen name/real name/start weight/goal weight/goal total

Mckenziesmomma (Melissa) 263/218 (45)
Eliana 185/155 (30)
Vertigosky (Danielle) 165/145 (20)
Julie131 (Julie) 154/135 (19)
TornadoSiren (Kris) 167/135 (32)
fcmonroe (Frances) 232/209 (23)
shadowclaw (Linda) 295/?
Aleks 265/240 (25)
Wilma729 275/?
Xooma 160/?
cheerios 175/160 (15)
WormwoodDoll (Corine) 213/185 (28)
dancerindenver 170/150 (20)
TheWildcat 140/125 (15)
TERAPET 167/152 (15)
TeaRose 207/?
ninepaw (Diana) 249/229 (20)
Rochester 228/199 (29)
rainbow84uk (198/170) (28)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #120  
Diana Kay

Eliana: I had already been planning on running for time, if for no other reason than that's how the app on my phone is going to work. That, and I am planning on running outside around my neighboorhood. I hate the treadmill... Which seems silly, because I enjoy things like the elliptical so much, but I think I'll preffer the change of scenery that comes with being outside more. I also know pacing myself is important... Gotta keep my sanity through this!

fcmonroe: Great job making it through Olive Garden so well!!! I would so not have the willpower you have...

Rochester: Now, that's just mean...

The scale is being a big huge JERK right now. After reading all the new posts, I have to say we really are all using the same broken scale or something... Because mine went BACK up to 251 this morning! What is this??? Although, after reading what dancerindenver said about muscles tearing and holding water after exercise, I do feel a little better, since the last two days were pretty exercise intensive for me... So who knows!

Once I get some breakfast in me, I plan to go out and do W1D1 of C25K... And of course I'll be back to report how I did. 'Cause I ALWAYS report back...

Last edited by ninepaw; 05-30-2010 at 01:36 PM.