Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
Melissa--Are you sure that's all you're going to eat? I would try subbing in some less calorie dense foods so I got to eat more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Melissa, I agree with FCmonroe. I eat a lot more than that for 1200 calories.
What are you guys eating...I thought that was ALOT of food.....and its food I like so I don't feel like I am dieting....I ate all of that and some popcorn after supper and I fell right at 1500 calories for the day.

So tell me what you guys are eating please......I'm really hoping you aren't going to say fruits and veggies and cottage cheese!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

Oh man you guys...I totally DIDN'T get back on plan... I started off with the best intentions..but I didn't track...I sort of did in my head and I don't think I went over..I may have been a bit under...but it wasn't back on plan for sure. *sigh* I stepped on the scale and it was 264. After the awesome week I had...booo... ok. That was a wake up call...better tomorrow. This is the first week in 4 months that I've done sooo poorly... so I can forgive myself, right?

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

Aleks: YES!! YOU CAN DO THIS! Another bad day just means another new day tomorrow for you to make it better.

McKenziesmomma: I eat anything I want and all I do is try to eat it in moderation and I try to eyeball how much calories is in what I eat because most food I eat don't come with a set of how many calories is in it. I must admit I am pretty bad at eating some food in moderation, but I try and it is better than restricting my diet to only a few foods.
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Morning, girls!
Aleks - You just had a blip in an otherwise wildly impressive losing streak. I know you can turn this around! One of the things that is so interesting to me about the successful losers on this site is that they know you can have an off day or an off meal and still pick yourself back up and keep on losing. I think that's a bit thing for a lot of us to learn. You are doing great and you will continue to do great, I just know it!

mck - I scrolled back up to look at your food list for the day and my reaction was similar to some of the other girls - I like having some higher volume fruits and veggies with my meals to make me feel more full (you can eat a heck of a lot of broccoli with lemon or sauteed spinach or cut up strawberries with splenda and not go over your calories for the day) but if being able to eat some of your favorite stuff in smaller portions is working for you, keep on doing your thing! What's your food plan for today?

cheerios - thanks for the kind welcome! What a glamorous avatar you have, btw. Oops on the cinnabons - was there a particular trigger that got you off track? How are you doing now - back on track?

Will check in later...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Hi Chicks,

Can I join your group?

I am between jobs right now so I have more time and energy then usual to concentrate on getting in shape. Hopefully this will be the lifestyle change that sticks this time. I spend a lot of time at the Y doing 1 or 2 of the following: step, body sculpting, yoga or jogging on the treadmill. I also ride my bike to the Y, walk my dogs and take occasional walks with my neighbor. I am working on including one really cool thing a week like hiking in the woods or a long bike ride on a bike trail. Obviously, I enjoy my exercise. However, I have a lot of trouble controlling my eating although lately things have gotten a whole lot easier. I did not realize what a negative impact my former job was having on my life.

Today I have already rode my bike to the Y for a step class and walked the dogs. I have my meals planned although not the lowest in calories. I am trying to get down to 1500 calories a day but that is a huge change for me. I hate to admit I used to eat closer to 2500 calories a day! I love healthy food but I love the bad stuff too! Anyway I seem to be in a good place now and so far I have lost 5 pounds in the last three weeks. I am hoping to make some serious progress this summer.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEKS View Post
Oh man you guys...I totally DIDN'T get back on plan... I started off with the best intentions..but I didn't track...I sort of did in my head and I don't think I went over..I may have been a bit under...but it wasn't back on plan for sure. *sigh* I stepped on the scale and it was 264. After the awesome week I had...booo... ok. That was a wake up call...better tomorrow. This is the first week in 4 months that I've done sooo poorly... so I can forgive myself, right?

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.
Oh no ! It happens girlie.....you have done so well for so long....I think sometimes it is nice to get a break for a week...then you get right back on plan....it shocks your body and I usually get a good whoosh when I do this! Come on gal! You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerindenver View Post
mck - I scrolled back up to look at your food list for the day and my reaction was similar to some of the other girls - I like having some higher volume fruits and veggies with my meals to make me feel more full (you can eat a heck of a lot of broccoli with lemon or sauteed spinach or cut up strawberries with splenda and not go over your calories for the day) but if being able to eat some of your favorite stuff in smaller portions is working for you, keep on doing your thing! What's your food plan for today?.
Well first of all let me start by saying that I'm really not hungry at all till around lunch time.....and then from lunch till the time I go to bed I could eat a COW LOL.....so with that being said I eat pretty light in the morning but I always have something..usually my calorie break down goes something like this

Breakfast - 200-300 calories
Snack - 100 calories
Lunch - 200-400 calories
Snack - 200-300 calories
Dinner - 500 calories - usually I save 100 calories of this for a small snack after dinner....

I usually end up between 1300 to 1500 calories for the day. I know I can sit and eat a whole bowl of broccoli or celery for very few calories...but it just isn't appealing to me. I have tried that route and I buy the stuff and it rots in the fridge while I end up eating out cause I don't like any of the food in my house. So, I have tried really hard to find lower calorie versions of stuff I really like and have one eat out/splurge meal per week....but still try to be reasonable.

So to answer your question today is going like this.....

Breakfast - Chocolate weight loss protein shake (similar to slim fast) - 180 calories
Snack - peanut butter Fiber one bar - 90 calories
lunch - 6" wheat subway turkey sandwich with veggies (no cheese but I do get mayo) with lays fat free chips and diet coke - 425 calories
snack - low fat ice cream cone from mcdonald's - 150 calories
Dinner - Homemade pizza with turkey pepporoni/onions/bellpeppers/ and mushrooms/ and low fat part skim mozerella - 3 slices (1/2 the pizza) 534 calories
Snack - 100 calorie pack popcorn
total calories 1,479 calories and I will work off 400 of those calories in the gym tonight

Please let me know what you guys think of this...I'm losing around 2-4 pounds a week when I strictly follow this plan....so I'm pretty happy with it...but I would appreciate any feedback...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERAPET View Post
Hi Chicks,

Can I join your group?
You surely can! the more the merrier!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #67  

mck - sounds like you are doing great and making good choices. I totally get that not everyone finds green veggies wildly exciting but are there any fruits that you like that you could add in there occasionally? Berries, cherries, or pineapple, maybe? But if they're not your thing, whatever works, right? I'm a subway addict too - I love their tuna sandwiches! My dangerous time of the day is after dinner when I start getting the mindless munchies. I think that's my biggest downfall *sigh*. So, I think it's smart the way you save some calories for an evening snack. Sounds like you have a major workout planned - what are you going to do at the gym?

I have a zumba class tonight - have any of you guys tried them? Kind of like salsa-aerobics - you basically dance to latin-style music and *almost* don't feel like you're working out because it's honestly pretty fun.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #68  

Quote:
mck - sounds like you are doing great and making good choices. I totally get that not everyone finds green veggies wildly exciting but are there any fruits that you like that you could add in there occasionally? Berries, cherries, or pineapple, maybe? But if they're not your thing, whatever works, right? I'm a subway addict too - I love their tuna sandwiches! My dangerous time of the day is after dinner when I start getting the mindless munchies. I think that's my biggest downfall *sigh*. So, I think it's smart the way you save some calories for an evening snack. Sounds like you have a major workout planned - what are you going to do at the gym?

I have a zumba class tonight - have any of you guys tried them? Kind of like salsa-aerobics - you basically dance to latin-style music and *almost* don't feel like you're working out because it's honestly pretty fun.
Yes there are fruits that I like....I like purple seedless grapes, watermelon, apples, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and pineapple....I think I will do the fruit more for my snacks. I also love subway. I have a really bad habit of being lazy and not wanting to cook so I have a few "go to" places that I know I can eat at and not blow it....

I like subway, KFC (grilled chicken breast, mashed potatoes w/o gravy and green beans....skip the biscuit even though they are soooo yummy), Taco Bell ....anything off the fresco menu, Wendy's - baked potato, salad, and chili.....McDonald's - fruit and walnut salad, fruit and yogurt parfait, apple dippers, ice cream cones, and any of their salads with grilled chicken and a low fat dressing.

Once a week for my splurge meal I will go eat Mexican and have grilled chicken nachos with onions and peppers....soooo yummy! OR I have chinese....which I am trying to limit but chinese is a weakness of mine....

If I plan out my meals and eat what I plan I really always feel satisfied and I don't feel like I'm dieting.....just making better choices. although I haven't done too well lately....lazyness is getting to me.....I need to start fixing stuff ahead on Sundays so I don't have to cook all week.

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 05-26-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added bananas :-)
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #69  
Closed

S/C/G: 207.5/200/150

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I'm joining this challenge!

1. About me? I'm 36 years old, married with fur kids to a great guy, got laid off at the end of last year and am starting school next month to study for my first degree with a view to a career change. How did I get here? I got older, stopped being more active, got married and moved away from home thus started cooking for myself, ooooh I can make dessert every night! As a result I gained a lot of weight and developed polycystic ovarian syndrome and insulin resistance. Both of which make weight loss a lot slower than your average bear and mean I have to choose wisely about what I eat in order to keep my blood sugar in check. What hasn't worked? South Beach, Atkins. I found both programs to be too restrictive, for example I love fruit and couldn't ditch it even for two weeks.

2. My Plan. I stay away from processed packaged foods. Aside from them being full of added crap, preservatives and lord knows what else, I like to know what is going into my food. I love to cook with fresh ingredients. We're fortunate enough to have space to grow our own vegetables so we do that most of the year and can, pickle or freeze what we are able to. Because of my PCOS/IR I need to avoid high sugar/starch foods so no "white" foods, pasta etc. I eat a lot of leafy green vegetables, lean protein with every meal and two snacks a day both with lean protein if possible. The protein helps keep my blood sugar in check. I do eat whole grains three to four times a week and the only dairy I have is cottage cheese or greek yoghurt occasionally. I will indulge myself in treats occasionally and yes, that might even mean the odd cupcake every now and again. I'm not saying "no" to anything, I'm just keeping it in severe moderation, that way I don't feel like I am depriving myself. Oh and I'm planning to exercise 6 days a week, that's going to be the killer. I went through my cupboards the night before I started and threw out a whole bunch of pre packaged stuff, chips, crackers, the works. I chose this plan because I got tired of going with plans that told me what to eat, only to find that I didn't like eating what I was being told! I'm now eating foods I enjoy that are good for me. That for me is going to be the key to success.

3. I'm going to weight in once a week. I've put my goals into 5lb blocks for loss. By Labor Day I would like to be in ONEderland and staying there.

4. You betcha!

5. Setbacks are bound to happen as nobody is perfect and that is ok. The important part is to carry on with the plan.

6. I'm expecting a struggle with the PCOS/IR but it's a fight I'm up for. Once I get my diet and exercise established, I'm hoping everything else will fall in line.
TeaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

dancerindenver-I've taken Zumba classes before. They are lots of fun and a great workout.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #71  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Melissa, I'm not calorie counting, I'm using the South Beach diet. Here's what I had yesterday.
Egg substitute with cauliflower, parmesan cheese and caponata (eggplant appetizer)--60+90+25 = 175
homemade muffin (sugar free) with 1 tblspoon almond butter=130cal +90
1 cup milk = 90

Snack lowfat cheese stick with a few carrot sticks =60

Lunch--Eggplant caprese (from S. Beach cookbok)=178

Snack--7 almonds, hummus with carrots and cauliflower--150+70

Dinner--chicken sausage--150 cal
Sauteed veggies--40 cal from oil
Greek yogurt sweetened with stevia and 1 cup strawberries--90+50
Rye crisp=60

NSA fudgsicle=40

I haven't added in the veggies, and I'm not used to calorie counting, but I'm getting that as about 1300 or 1400 for the day.

Last edited by fcmonroe; 05-26-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: forgot the milk!
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #72  

fc - oooh - yummy food choices! Do you like the eggplant caprese? I've been looking for some diet friendly eggplant dishes.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #73  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Melissa, a typical day looks like this:

Preworkout: banana
breakfast: Steel cut oats with soy milk
Snack: Greek yogurt with berries and walnuts
lunch: Protein, veggie
Snack: Fiber one with soy milk
Dinner: protein, veggie, starch
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
Egg substitute with cauliflower, parmesan cheese and caponata (eggplant appetizer)--60+90+25 = 175
homemade muffin (sugar free) with 1 tblspoon almond butter=130cal +90
1 cup milk = 90

Snack lowfat cheese stick with a few carrot sticks =60

Lunch--Eggplant caprese (from S. Beach cookbok)=178

Snack--7 almonds, hummus with carrots and cauliflower--150+70

Dinner--chicken sausage--150 cal
Sauteed veggies--40 cal from oil
Greek yogurt sweetened with stevia and 1 cup strawberries--90+50
Rye crisp=60

NSA fudgsicle=40
Of all that food I MIGHT could force myself to eat the chicken sausage and the NSA fudgsicle...LOL....I am soooooo picky! I don't like anything....and what I do like is super bad for you...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaRose View Post
I'm joining this challenge!
Jump on in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Melissa, a typical day looks like this:

Preworkout: banana
breakfast: Steel cut oats with soy milk
Snack: Greek yogurt with berries and walnuts
lunch: Protein, veggie
Snack: Fiber one with soy milk
Dinner: protein, veggie, starch

Hmmm...I like the idea of the banana just to get you going...thats one of the main reasons I don't workout in the morning...I have an empty tank AND I'm dead tired....I drag butt till around 11am and sometimes later than that. But I think I may try the banana and workout and then breakfast idea...

Than ks
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 168/138/129

Height: 5'4"

Default Woohoo!!

Quote:
fc - oooh - yummy food choices! Do you like the eggplant caprese? I've been looking for some diet friendly eggplant dishes.
Something you can do is go on foodnetwork and search Pasta with Eggplant Ragu. (3FC won't let me post links yet, sorry)

I've used this eggplant recipe many times, mostly because I don't like eggplant by itself, but in combo with pasta I'll eat it fine. It's very simple and easy to make, and it's all healthy ingredients.

Soooo... I stepped on the scale this morning and couldn't believe my eyes. After a year of being in the 140s or 150s, I saw 139.5!!! I am on seventh heaven right now, and my motivation is waay up.

I've been eating right and exercising for about one week now. My typical day looks like this:

- Cereal with fresh fruit and watered down milk for breakfast
- 15 nuts for a snack
- Salad with olive oil instead of dressing for lunch
- Protein drink for a snack
- Small portion of cottage cheese with berries for a snack (or two cheese sticks)
- Buckwheat and chicken breast for dinner

I am definitely proud of myself for counting the nuts! I've lost about 2-3 lbs in one week, and I hope to continue that way. I've been dancing to music on the radio in the evenings for about an hour, and taking brisk 2 or 3 mile walks every couple days. I've also been doing yoga every day, which I find very relaxing for my body and my mind.

Alright! Time for breakfast!
TheWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote