3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Chicks up for a Challenge

Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #31

S/C/G: 175/154/125

Height: 5'7

I am going to jump in on this! There are so many things to change lol but the Top 5 would have to be :

1. No eating after 6:30pm
2. Workout daily
3. No putting myself down/laxis/b/p (recovering bulimic)
4. Journal/Draw
5. Erasing foul language from my vocabulary
LtsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #32

S/C/G: 287/ticker/139

Height: 5' 5"

Saturday update:

1. I will cross at least three things off my to-do list every day. I have been doing super well at this -- partly because I'm going out of town next week and MUST get this stuff done!

2. I will exercise at least 5 days per week, even if it means just going for a walk. Today I will go for that walk, I promise!

3. I will not eat after dinner is finished ... the kitchen is closed. This has been a great help to me since I started this challenge. If I am still hungry after dinner, I also set my cell phone alarm for 20 minutes and tell myself I can have more when the alarm goes off. And I (almost) never feel like having more by that time. It is amazing, really. Why would 20 minutes make that much difference?

4. I will plan each day's food in CalorieKing ... doesn't mean I can't change it, but it will be a good blueprint Ditto - done well here also.

5. I will do an unplanned kindness each day.
Let's see -- more little stuff.
- I invited a sad friend to lunch.
- I listened to my handyman tell me how he is a skilled carpenter and built houses in Guatamala.
- I did NOT blink my lights or honk at a tourist going 9 mph down a busy street (this is a tough one for me, visitors do not seem to realize some people are NOT on vacation).
- I told the CVS clerk, who was extra helpful to me, that he WAS extra helpful and I really appreciated it and he smiled warmly and that made ME feel good.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #33
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I will have to give up on No. 5 resolution, attending circuit training class.

On Thursday night, I was crossing the street, on my way to Pilates class, when a red van made a left turn & the driver did not check the crosswalk for pedestrians. He hit me & I fell to the ground, putting out my right hand to break the fall. My elbow was abraded (needed some gravel picked out) & has puffed up & I have sprained my right thumb. (They're also checking for a little bone in my wrist.) I'm also sore in weird places, like my neck & throat -- because my head must have snapped back -- and my right side, because my body must have twisted to one side slightly before I fell. Honestly, the falling part is a blur. I remember the van coming, and the feeling of, "Oh, s--, he's NOT stopping" and I remember the sound of being hit, sort of hollow thump. But there's a blur in-between.

I'm so peeved. I had good thing going here, with the Pilates, cardio & yoga. Now I see myself losing the condition I worked so hard for, because my activity will certainly be limited for as long as it takes whatever to heal.

So, two days later, I have a splinted & bandaged right hand, and I won't see the orthopedist till Tuesday. I do not know the prognosis, but I know I won't be lifting weights with that hand any time soon.

I've made myself walk to the gym the last two mornings, over the same crosswalk & I've worked out on the arc trainer, with my bandaged hand resting on the machine. I am NOT going to sit on the couch & eat to make myself feel better.

Last edited by saef; 04-03-2010 at 07:36 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #34

Awwww, Saef, I'm so sorry about your injury! I got a little bummed out yesterday because I strained my back in my exercise class but I know my back will probably be better soon. So, your poor hand, aaaaaahhhh.

But, of course, it could have been so much worse, how scary that a van hit you in a crosswalk! OMG!

And I have an idea -- my gym has those kind of weights that you strap around your wrists with the velcro so you don't have to hold anything. They only go up to 10 lbs. so I don't know what you're lifting, but that's better than nothing, right?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Stay Focused & Committed

Height: 5" 5.5

Hello chicks,

Saef: I'm sorry to hear about your accident but it sounds like you are handling it very positively. I hope everything heals very soon.

I'm doing pretty good with my goals except I didn't do so good over the weekend. I picked myself up and got right back on board and had an awesome day yesterday. I'm looking forward to having a great week and I can't wait for the scale to start moving down again.

I hope everyone is having a great day too.

Mini Goals - Lose 10% of my weight:
Reach Onederland:
Jiggle Free Abs:
Reach 50 Pound Loss Mark:
Comfortably Fit a Size 12:
A for every 5 pounds lost:
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #36

S/C/G: 175/154/125

Height: 5'7

Saef: That is just terrible Sending wishes for a quick recovery so you can get back into it

1. No eating after 6:30pm - Meh....need to try harder
2. Workout daily- Doing this very very very well!
3. No putting myself down/laxis/b/p (recovering bulimic)_ quite proud of myself for doing good on this one
4. Journal/Draw- need to try harder as well
5. Erasing foul language from my vocabulary- I have been replacing words with ones like "sugar" "fudge" and "psshhhh" and my friends are like, stop you are making me hungry haha
LtsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #37

Tuesday update:

1. I will cross at least three things off my to-do list every day.
Doing "okay" on this one, got to get cranking today, though!

2. I will exercise at least 5 days per week, even if it means just going for a walk. Did great yesterday, my one-hour exercise class, plus walked to and from the gym.

3. I will not eat after dinner is finished ... the kitchen is closed. Sort of ... I ate a very late lunch about 4 p.m. and ended up having 3 turkey hotdogs with mustard (40 calories each) about 8 p.m. Not exactly what I was planning, but not too bad. Calories were within range.

4. I will plan each day's food in CalorieKing ... doesn't mean I can't change it, but it will be a good blueprint Did okay here, but it does keep changing.

5. I will do an unplanned kindness each day. I have noticed that a lot of my small kindnesses have to do with traffic issues! Apparently I am a more aggressive driver than I thought.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

LtsGirl: Welcome! It looks like you are well on your way, especially with working out! Go YOU! Glad to have you here

saef: OMG. That must have been terrifying - I can only imagine what went through your mind seeing that coming at you. I am SO glad it was only an injury to your hand. That will heal - it could have been so much worse. I know what you mean about it being frustrating, though.

GettinFit: Great job on that awesome day yesterday. I hope you have a fantastic week - I can't wait to see the scale going down, either! I can tell I have lost a little bit since starting this - mainly due to the exercise goal. But my other goal won't let me weigh until May 1. Dangit!

CJ: I had to laugh about the traffic issues. I would have never pegged you for one to have any level of road rage. Sorry to hear about your back - back issues are NOT fun. Get well soon!!!

For me:

1. Drink A LOT more water and use it in place of diet soda. For me, this will be 3 more 20oz. bottles per day. The past few days I have been running to the restroom getting rid of all this water weight I had been retaining. So I think I have found the sweet spot on drinking water for me! I am going to remove the "3 more 20oz. bottles per day" from this one, because I really don't need that much more. I hope I see a weight whoosh on the scale just from this alone!

2. Add more structured exercise (this is a hard one for me!). I need at least 2 hours total per week of this. Mondays are hard, because I have so much running around to do - that in itself has to count for something. I did get in a walk today with the kids to the post office even though it was windy, yucky and a little bit rainy. That was about 3/4 of a mile round trip and took 25 minutes or so with my tagalongs.

3. Eat 5 small meals per day, lean protein and a good carb at each. This one is iffy. Some days I do this and some days not. Having it as a goal has definitely made me more aware of portion sizes again, so that is good, but I still need work on this goal.

4. Stop obsessing about the scale with daily weigh-ins and pay more attention to how my clothes fit. (this one has been bad for me, too!) I am going back to basics and not weighing until May 1st. Come on May 1st - I am like a crack addict going through detox.

5. Spend more time outside - at the park with the kids, working in the yard, etc. See #2, but we have had really yucky weather the past few days. I can't wait until it clears out again so I can do some work in the yard. I am also planning a makeshift veggie garden to be done in rectangular planters and one of those "topsy turvy" tomato hangers my DH bought. If this works, I will have fresh green onions, some small carrots, tomatoes and whatever else I can think of that would grow well in a planter!! Any ideas for me?

"They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom." ~Confucius

Current Mini-Goal Progress:

1st mini goal: Below 300, Achieved 12/2/2009
2nd mini goal: 279, Achieved 3/15/2010
3rd mini goal: 250 (100 lbs lost)
1 for every 10 lbs. lost:
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #39
Stay Focused & Committed

Height: 5" 5.5

Hello ladies,

It looks like we're all doing pretty good at making our goals. I've had a good week so far. I've got control of my overeating and haven't been over my Points and have been eating very healthy and staying away from junk. I've been snacking on 94% FF popcorn, fruit and lf string cheese. I've worked out everyday so far and I'm drinking 6-8 waters a day. I've also been journaling daily. I know this weekend will be challenging but I will try very hard to stay in control. I know if I can do it this weekend, next weekend will be easier.

Hotwings - I need to join you with the scale goal. I am an addict too and HAVE to weigh daily. I think for now, I will only weigh once a week. I have been going to Weight Watchers meetings but I just cancelled my membership so after April, I will go to weighing once a month at home. I just want to focus on eating right and working out.

Have a great day everyone and stay strong.

Mini Goals - Lose 10% of my weight:
Reach Onederland:
Jiggle Free Abs:
Reach 50 Pound Loss Mark:
Comfortably Fit a Size 12:
A for every 5 pounds lost:
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #40

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Ooooh, I LOVE this idea. I know i am a late joiner, but better late than never right? And I love Ruby's show.

Mine are no brainers, but still...things I need to adhere to for a little while.

1. No eating after dinner. PERIOD
2. No eating fast food.
3. No sugar sweets (candy, chocolate, soda, pastries etc)
4. I will drink more water.
5. Dinner will be a smaller meal of the day.

Oh I am so excited. Thanks so much for starting this thread!

Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #41
make it go away

S/C/G: 213/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Hey Chicklets,

I'm still here, but don't have lots of time for posting and this challenge somehow feels like more of a want to than a have to, in terms of what I need to do when I have little time. Focusing on counting calories/tracking my food, and getting in my exercise takes the priority, but I am keeping a number of my 5 goals here in mind:

1. Stop expecting to lose weight every time I step on the scale, which is daily (no complaining!).
I'm doing well with this one, and it seems to be paying off. I had lost three pounds since the first of the month before TOM arrived last night. But I'm staying positive and feeling good about the achievements I've made rather than focusing on where I had hoped to be at this time. If it's really forever, I'd better get used to this frame of mind.

2. No more eating dinner after 8 p.m.
I keep trying, but my schedule just isn't cooperating. Rather than stressing over it and getting cranky, I'm just going with the flow. It seems like the "stirring it up" I felt I needed, has been taken care of by just letting go of my expectations.

3. Eat fewer calories in more meals.
I eat fewer calories for breakfast and lunch, sometimes a snack and a good sized, filling dinner--not as many calories as in the past, but more than may be recommended in terms of spreading them out throughout the day. It's working for me.

4. Start doing yoga and Zumba. I'm still waiting for my friend's DVD she made, and I ordered the Zumba DVDs from the library. I'm feeling good with all the circuit training lately, and the mind/body connection I felt I was lacking seems better since I've changed my attitude (really, that was the only thing I needed to take care of because all the other things were connected!)

5. Don't worry, be happy. See above. No worries, I'm happy.

Saef, how are you doing? I can't believe you got hit by a van! Don't worry that you're going to lose what you've worked so hard for. With all you've accomplished, you surely have learned some tricks to help keep yourself toned and get some exercise without using your injured parts, haven't you? Just be careful so you heal as quickly as possible.

Good work everyone. It's nice to have a challenge that makes me think about those things I want to change, and then to realize that a slight attitude adjustment makes much change unnecessary, because the problems only exist in my mind.
I reached my goal of 149 eleven months after starting to lose, but that number has crept away as I've tried to maintain for over three years--wish that major loser who lived in my body for a while would come back!

Last edited by LouisaH; 04-08-2010 at 11:57 PM.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #42

Hi chicklets! (Louisa - I *love* the use of the word "chicklets" and am going to steal it from you if you don't mind!)

Well, I'm traveling today so wish me *good luck and good choices*. I'm driving for a couple of hours to meet a cousin and his family I have not seen for years, then on to the airport to fly up to see my DF. It will be a long day and I WILL DO WELL WITH MY EATING (I promise!)

Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #43

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

LouisaH. I LOVE the goal of stop expecting to lose weight everytime i step on the scale. WOW, that is an issue with me big time!

CJZee, stay strong. You have done so well, keep on keep'n on.

goals for the weekend:
1. No eating bad fast food, since it is the weekend, i will allow subway or smart options at taco bell
2. no eating after dinner.
3. no sugar snacks (nsv- we have left over easter candy, i didnt eat a single piece yesterday or today...that is a big deal for me)
4. I will break a sweat at least once over the weekend, hopefully in the garden.
5. 90% of my liquid intake will be water.

Thats my story and i am stick'n to it. HOpe you all have a good, on plan weekend!

Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #44
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I am so impressed by all of you.

Thanks, everybody, for the good wishes. I still can't believe I got hit by a van, either. But my right hand is still bandaged & my elbow still hurts. The insurance claim rep for the car's owner was just here in the house, dropping off the no-fault paperwork so that my medical bills are covered. I'm going to read it all over at my leisure. One thing I learned from working for lawyers is to read everything you're asked to sign & think it over carefully before signing.

Anyway, I am trying to continue with the challenge:

1) Four nights a week, I will be in bed by 10:15. I'm doing surprisingly well on this. I've learned something about my habits. I tend to zone out on the laptop & lose track of time online at night. If I set a timer nearby, I will get up at 9:45 & go to bed. Also, I can make it to bed after TV shows end at 10 if I spend the commercials getting ready for bed, rather than zoning out.

2) I will pick out frames for a new pair of glasses by the last day of April. This is more important, since over the weekend, I popped out a lens. I managed to get it back in with much difficulty -- my glasses have no bottom frame & so the lenses were being held by a clear string that fit in a notch at the base of the lense. Very difficult to do. I am committed to browsing over frames over the weekend.

3) I will cut down on my use of Splenda in my coffee to four packets a day. Another discovery: Easy to do at home. Impossible at work. I seem to use coffee-drinking as a way of getting up from my desk, and I am hydrating with decaf coffee rather than water.

4) I will eat Eggbeaters for breakfast once a week. Sad to say, I fell down on this. I am committed to this tomorrow, though, as it's no longer oatmeal weather.

5) I will commit to leaving work on time to get to Circuit Training Class on Monday nights at the gym. As I mentioned, this is no longer an attainable goal for me in my present condition. But ... I have started a thread on the "Exercise" forum to make myself accountable for exercising every day of the month in April, in ways that are safe & doable, & to chart my recuperation from my accident.

Last edited by saef; 04-09-2010 at 02:11 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #45
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I am so glad to see everyone is working on the goals and doing well! I have been sick the past week, so I have not really been doing any posting.. or even reading here for that matter. I missed it a lot! I have been through the ringer for about a month with a cold, then seasonal allergies hit.. then another cold last week. Blech! My sinuses have just had it. Fortunately, I went to the doc today and he gave me a shot that should last the next 10 days and hopefully clear everything up.

My goals report:

1. Drink A LOT more water and use it in place of diet soda. Still doing this, but got TOM this week. Go away, Tom.. no one wants you here. I once heard a comedian joke about feeling like her uterus was falling out every month. That's pretty much me this month. LOL! Feeling a bit tight from the TOM water weight and I think from this dang cold, so upping the water even more for the next few days.

2. Add more structured exercise (this is a hard one for me!). I need at least 2 hours total per week of this. I can't wait to get my energy back - I have missed my walks, etc. SO much these past few days. It is windy here and I only have half my voice, so I am going to give it one more day before doing a lot outside again.

3. Eat 5 small meals per day, lean protein and a good carb at each. Still needs work. I'm not doing bad at all on eating 5 times per day.. it's the protein/good carb combo that I am struggling with right now. Tomorrow I am hoping to throw a bunch of lean meat on the grill for dinner and have some leftovers in the fridge to help with this the next few days.

4. Stop obsessing about the scale with daily weigh-ins and pay more attention to how my clothes fit. I am going back to basics and not weighing until May 1st. I weighed two days ago. I am not proud of it - proud to see a loss, but not proud that I broke my goal of waiting until May 1! Not going to move my ticker and going to try to not weigh again - with the same May 1 goal.

5. Spend more time outside - at the park with the kids, working in the yard, etc. See #2.

I am enjoying having others to work on my goals with - thank you all so much for sharing and keeping us updated!

Those who expect moments of change to be comfortable and free of conflict have not learned their history. ~Joan Wallach Scott

Current Mini-Goal Progress:

1st mini goal: Below 300, Achieved 12/2/2009
2nd mini goal: 279, Achieved 3/15/2010
3rd mini goal: 250 (100 lbs lost)
1 for every 10 lbs. lost:
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote