Sexy by Labor Day 2009 Challenge!

You're on Page 7 of 30
Go to
  • Hi all, just saying good morning and checking in. Welcome to the new members -- especially with such good tidbits as popsicle recommendations and yummy sounding recipe ideas!

Been a decent week -- started my internship on Wednesday and I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity. I'm already learning tons plus they are having me work from home/law library a couple of days a month so I get to change up the routine and avoid the commute. Today's one of those days already!

My big victory awarness this week is that I've become "compulsive" about recording my calories in fitday.com at the end of the day. I've used the site before, but always seem to grow tired of doing it....this time I really want to keep my totals more or less accurate so I'll have good data available to refer to when I need to assess how things are going. I can't bear to have my weekly averages wrong!

That's a good sign, i suppose? Exercise has been a bit week - I've been trying to nurse this ankle so that i'll be able to get back to running next week. I'm technically supposed to start my 10K training plan.

If Madison doesn't mind, I'll post a new question for the group: If you could plan a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go? Mine would definitely be Italy.
  • If you could plan a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I would LOVE to go backpacking through Europe with my best friend. I want to possibly do it when I graduate. That is if I can find the money... If I had to peg down one place, I would go back to Germany and return to the places I've been and see all the places I haven't been.
  • Great question - I'm a big travel buff and have been lucky enough to travel internationally for work so a bunch of my wishlist has been covered but I'm dying to go to West Africa - maybe Senegal and get to know the vibrant culture there and speak some French. Curious to hear what's on everyone else's list!

Today's a recovery day for me as far as exercise is concerned but I'm planning on swinging by the mall after work and if I shop for long enough, it will at least count as a good walk : )

Another random low-cal food suggestion - Sea Cuisine's Tortilla crusted Tillapia from Costco. Easy to prepare in the oven, only 250 cal/serving, crunchy on the outside and flavored with lime and chile. Yum! Will definitely be making some this weekend...

Happy Friday, all!
  • For dancer and others -

Love the question about non-food rewards. I get a professional massage every time I lose 5 pounds (so about 1 a month). An indulgence, I know, but it is good for my physical and mental health, so seems like a good investment. Also, buying new clothes is a big motivator - I go to secondhand shops to get it from becoming to pricey. Sometimes will buy something that I'll be able to wear in 5 or 10 pounds, and that is an added motivator. Sometimes I also make a deal w/ myself that when I reach a certain number I'll buy some new music from iTunes for my iPod, which I listen to when I work out. Going to get a haircut is another good one.

I find creating small rewards for every 2-3 pound loss helps keep me on track and give me something to look forward to, especially since I have about 45 pounds to lose and that can seem overwhelming if I let myself look at the big picture. Those are a few of my non-food rewards - what about the rest of you all?
  • In terms of if I could go anywhere in the world...I'm lucky that I've had a chance to travel quite a bit, I've been to over 20 countries in my life, and have lived overseas for about 3 of my 28 years. I've never been to South America and I would love to go to Brazil. I'm fascinated by samba and capoeira (a combo dance and martial art, done to singing and percussion) and I think being at carnaval would be a blast! Also, while I was there I'd want to shoot across to Argentina to tango...living in the blue ridge is great, and I'm surrounded by beauty but that doesn't mean I don't dream of travel, too...
  • Blueridge - love the massage idea! That will definitely go on the rewards schedule.

This is probably too silly for you guys, but has anyone gone for a spray tan? I was thinking that might work as a reward too - but not if they turn out awful : )
  • Ooh fun question! I've also been lucky enough to see a lot of Europe, but right now I'm dying to go to Greece or go back to Paris. If only I wasn't stuck in school for the next 1948392 years...and of course, had the money...But I can dream!
  • Most deffinatly Ireland. I dont know what it is maybe that I have so much irish geneology...I would just love the castles and the ocean shore there looks beautiful (in a different way than your tropical paradise type of place...) I think it would be amazing to see where my ancestors came from.
  • Oh and to drink an actual IRISH beer wouldn't hurt... hahaha =)
  • Hi everyone and welcome new members!

I've been a little mia lately- there has been mumblings about possible layoffs at my office so I've been a bit on edge lately- now I realize that its not something I can control- I just have to breathe, let go, and focus on becoming a healthier and happier person.

Thanks kpme for posting the question of the week- I'm orginally from London, so I would like go some where exotic like India. Dancerindenver- I have actually been to west africa, Nigeria specifically, and its is amazing. Really another world- beautiful, alive, and a growing metropolis- I loved it.

I wish everyone a safe and happy weekend, and good luck on the Monday weigh-ins!
  • I have been trying to think of a "reward" trip once I get to Onederland! I'm aiming for early Spring. I have always wanted to go to Eastern Europe ... maybe Prague, maybe somewhere a little less known. Suggestions appreciated!
  • Hey CJ,

You have the same "first goal" as me, to lose 10%. Congrats on your progress so far. How long have you been working toward that goal?
  • leantoinette - so jealous of your Nigeria experience - that sounds great!

Just got back from a 4 mile run (haven't run that far in 10-15 years) - thanks for inspiring me to get up and moving with your challenge, all!
  • Quote: Hey CJ,
    You have the same "first goal" as me, to lose 10%. Congrats on your progress so far. How long have you been working toward that goal?
    Hi kpme -- I started March 10, 2009. It is the same day I started exercising at a gym with a personal trainer for weight training 2x a week. It was embarrassing that they wouldn't "take" me until I got my doctor's okay even though the only thing "wrong" with me was my excessive weight. It really opened my eyes.

That day I started both an exercise and a healthy eating program. I log all my food in Calorie King. I am learning every day and so happy I have started on this path.

How about you? CJ
  • Wow, CJ - good for you! Are you still working out with the trainer? Have you noticed a difference as far as feeling stronger? I'm thinking about adding some light weights to my exercise routine but haven't done it yet.