Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #1  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Height: 5'4"

Default W.O.W. Love You! Valentine's Day Challenge Week 1

This thread will be for a goal to take you to Valentine's Day.

My goal is a pound a week down which means 7 pounds by Valentine's Day.

Here we go:

W - 5 bottles
E - Weights
E - No sweets, lots of fruits and veggies
D - This is a lifestyle change. Start now.
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #2  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Clykk - thanks for starting the thread (and good girl for getting to the gym). My starting weight is 201.8 as of this morning. Here we go!

Stole this from JCAT's post at the beginning of the last challenge. Good Luck!

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back! __________________
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #3  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default WEED for today.

Well thought I'd post my weed too. Grandma's funeral is today. Gonna be a long draining day. Will try to at least do the following~

W- 64 oz
E - probably not much
E - Will be aware of what and how much
D - I am the only one that can change my ways, my mood, my mind.

Off to get ready. Hope you all have a good day!
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #4  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink

Well Here we go!! It is time, really.
SW- 201.4
GW- 196.4 That is only 5 pounds, but that is reasonable knowing my screwy body.

Nix- Looks like you and I are just hanging out together. I noticed you want to get to 145 this year. Me too!! Let's do this thing.

Clykk- Thanks for the info on starting a new thread. Iam going to check it out in a minute. Have fun at the gym

WEED for the week.

W- Drink more than I have been
E- Rotate through my new DVD's and some of the old standbys
E- Back to counting, measuring and logging everything I put in my mouth.
D- It is time for a fresh start. The past has passed.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #5  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 195/158/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! This is my first challenge to join. I'd like to set a goal of a pound a week, so 7 pounds down by V day.

SW186/GW179

Do we make a WEED list daily?

W - Two big Mercy cups (64oz). -HALF WAY THERE!
E - 1 mile. -DID TWO MILES!
E - NO no bake cookies that evil DF made!!
D - I can do this, I am strong. Just take it one day at a time.

Last edited by OnlyWomanInTheHouse; 12-29-2008 at 02:21 PM.
OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Morning ladies.

Nixie I am so sorry I haven't been around. I am sorry about your grandma.

Hi Clykk, Hi Jessica

Today is Day 1 of my back on track for the new year! I hit a little hiccup while I was running on the tread. about 24 minutes into it the day care room staff came in to tell me Mak was throwing up. poor baby. She just got over excited I think, then started coughing, then well you know. She did say she had a headache today though.

I did end up running about 1.88 miles before I had to quit. I was suprised at how easy it was to just start running again. I wasn't even winded.

Confession Time: Can you believe that Today was my first workout since Oct 12. WOW! All that stuff with my sister, then my health problems (which is probably just due to stress). Then I just stopped caring about what I put in my mouth, I even started drinking sodas again and not just the diet kind! I have avoided the scale because I knew what was happening (jeans don't lie). Anyway I have put on 11 pounds as of today (although I am hoping since TOM is around the corner that a few of those will come off) My blood sugar is way out of control to the point that my doctor has diagnosed me with diabetes (although some other doctors think he is wakko because my glucose level isnt quite in that range). I have to start taking care of myself again.

Goal:
So My scale (and I will be changing my ticker in a minute) says 158. I hope I can get it back down to 147 by March 16 which is my vacation to Disneyland. (actually I want to be at 144 by my disney trip) That gives me 77 days to lose 14 pounds. Not likely with my body, but I am going to work my hardest to get to that point. I know what helps. PLAN PLAN PLAN. WATER: at least 64 oz of water every day. EXERCISE: On my days off I need to do at least 60 minutes of cardio. Days on: yoga or pilates before work; extra laps through the plant EATS: start with 1500 calories Nothing bulky at night, no starches. Absolutely NO sodas not even diet. NO Alcohol (well I have a bottle of wine to finish, but I will do it moderately!) DAILY GOAL: Plan plan plan Keep moving.

W 64 oz
E 24 minutes done I will do 20 minutes on Wii fit and 20 minuteus on ab lounge
E 1500 calories
D get in the rest of my workout and plan my meals for the day.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

Hello! Hope you don't mind if I join in. I really like the WEED idea, it covers just about everything and will be a nice daily reminder.

I'm going to shoot for about 10 pounds by V-Day, to put me between 155 (GOAL!)-160 because right now I'm bouncing between 168-170. That was a major feat for me to maintain throughout the holidays, not a pound gained!

W- 80oz (mandatory everyday)
E- 1 solid hour of cardio (650 calories/average heart rate 160) DONE! (I try to burn 500-800 calories per workout and I try to workout 5 days a week)
E- Eat what I planned last night, no more no less.
D- I'm sooooo close and can/will succeed!

Sometimes I need a kick in the butt so if I slack off feel free to kick!

Be strong and good luck!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi WEEDies! I missed you all over the holidays...trying to recover from the week long binge....naah it wasn't that bad really. A few (really) bad days but even the bad days started with oatmeal/fruit/lots of water, even if it ended with Bud Light and wings or Christmas cookies galore. The good news is that I cannot even LOOK at another damn cookie!

This week is weird....DH took the kids yesterday down to Columbus to visit his sisters for a few days and I couldn't go because I have to work tonight. So I have a few days of just me time....so I went and played poker yesterday (lost my butt but had fun) which resulted in drinking too much and waiting too long to eat so ended up at McD's drive thru and eat a HORRIBLY dissatisfying greasy salty double cheeseburger and cold limp fries and couldn't have felt worse about it. Which is funny because to me, no matter how "good" I'm doing or how good I feel, CrackDonald's is ALWAYS yummy to me! I read posts about how disgusting it is to healthy people, but to me it was always a treat.....last night though, it just tasted awful. All I tasted was the grease, coating my mouth and throat. So maybe I am breaking this habit.

So today is all about me day. I have to work tonight but today I am going to eat well, clean the house and get to the gym. I want to start C25k today. Day 1 Week 1....here I come. I think I'll do best starting on the elliptical. Oh wait, this is starting to sound like my WEED, so let's go there...

W- 4-5 liters (one down already)
E- PLAN IT OUT! Slept in today (for working tonight) so I had my FiberOne cereal and a banana, lunch/dinner will be Subway I think so I can take the other half of the sub for lunch tonight and I think I'll make a pot of my famous cheese/vegetable soup...I have some lovely apples(ambrosia apples are my latest passion, YUM!) and peaches....I think I'll cut up some cukes, lately they've tasted so GOOD to me.
E- PLEASE, please please take this body to the gym! W1D1 c25k.DO IT!
D- Multivitamin a day (done!) and remember how crappy McD's tasted last night...kick the crackDonalds habit. Start putting Christmas presents away, catch up with laundry and housework.

WELCOME Onlywomaninthehouse and Bikini Ready! I can't wait to hear more from you guys!

I love your screen name, OWITH...sounds like you have your own set of challenges with two very small children at home. We post our WEED daily, usually, even though they are usually the same every day, but however you like to do it is fine. Get away from the cookies! Wrap some on a few holiday plates and send them to your loved ones or neighbors! (that's what we did, we made a TON of cookies and candies) Tell us more about those babies!

Bikini Ready you are killing me~!!!! You already have most of your WEED in for the day by ONE o'clock!?!?! WOW! Whatta gal, and having not gained throught the holidays is just admirable. Bravo...you in this challenge is just what we need to inspire us!

Jeni (JCat) I've been thinking about you this season! I did not realize you haven't worked out since OCTOBER! How the time flies. And I knew you were going through so much lately with the flaky-sister thing and your health. But you are and always have been a WARRIOR. I love that you jumped right back into your running like you'd never been away from it at all. did you see above that I'm going to start c25k...!? So I'm shooting for being on YOUR level by summer time. I want to jog on the beach. Did Tommy and Mackie have a great Christmas? I just know you loved it this year...it gets better every year. Sorry to hear M got sick at the Y...it's a lot to take all this excitement! And about the whole diabetes thing....just get thyself back into your habits and you'll be just fine, no doubt. And I expect you to check back in here often! xoxxo

NixMom, I'm thinking about you today. I know you are saying goodbye to grandma and I know it's hard. Remember what she wanted for you, and let her inspire you to keep at being healthy like she did. You will honor her best by living healthily and taking care of yourself, her legacy can live on through you. Hers can be that little voice you hear when you want to pick up a cigarette or blow off exercising or eating badly. You're tough enough to get through this as well. But hugs anyways.

Clykky, how bout you!!!! joining a gym!!!! WOOHOO! Do you get time with a trainer to show you the ropes? Is it a gym gym or a Y or community center? What kind of cardio are you working on? Are you lifting weights or doing machines? Tell us about your workout! Do they offer aerobics classes? Whatta gal! Oh and don't be deterred....the gym IS going to be crowded this next month or so...all the New Years resolutions posers LOL they'll all be out in hoardes but it will taper off by February. So you might have to wait for some things/machines/equipment, but don't worry.

Amy, I better see you post SOON and set your goal and get back into posting. How was Christmas at your house? How are you and hubby getting along? Did Santa come for Captain this year? How bout your Cowboys? I won't mention how the browns got smacked down by the Steelers this weekend, how embarrassing....speaking of which, LUMI, you better be on board this challenge too!

Mindy hope you are doing well this season, do you get the whole time off too or do you have to do report cards/lesson planning stuff so that it's not a real vacation? I almost feel like I do better when I'm working a lot, its more of a routine, a schedule, and when I'm off for a week or even a few days it's easier to get lazier and not work so hard. What do you think? Are you more on plan now or when you are working? Personally, I'm rooting for your goal to be 194....because that seems more like over the 195-200 slump. Just squeak under there and you'll beat it, ya know?

Speaking of which....I need to set a goal too! OK, I weighed 256 this morning, which I was kind of happy about...only about one pound up from before Christmas....though I may have been dehydrated from alcohol last night, but I'll take it. I may have been discouraged if it had been 258 or something. So 16 pounds....240 will be my goal for this challenge. At this size, I'm pretty sure I can do that. Off to make a ticker. And submit this post before I lose it. OMG its 2:10 already?! I got stuff to do! I hate to think I'm missing anyone....MMavis, you're on board right? Grazer? AUDAUDAUDAUD....oh Aud how we all miss you!

xoxoxo Michelle xoxoxoxo

Last edited by NurseMichelle; 12-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Mindy I forgot to say hi to you earlier, sorry. Hows this school year treating you?

Welcome Melissa!

Michelle, The kids had too great of a christmas actually They had a blast (although we still have one more day to celebrate, DH's distant father and step-mother and brother still have to come celebrate.) How were Rachel and Roberts? You reminded me of my multi-vits too, UGH! Add that to my list! C25K!!! that is so awsome. Really I recommend running to everyone. It has helped shape my body so much! I think once I get back into my workout routine my headaches will go away (endorphines and such). As far as my blood sugar goes, I went from close to no refined sugars to gorging myself on chocolate, full sugar sodas and lattes, and various other carbs (LOADS of Pasta). So no wonder my blood sugar is spiking and crashing. I am back on track as of today. I am going to check in here each and every day!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #10  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Default Ouch!!

I went to the gym this morning and I weigh in at 165 with clothes and runners on. Before the holidays I was 158 on my "not so accurate" scale at home butt naked. So, I guess the duds add a few pounds, but I have decided that now that I have this accurate scale at the gym I am going to weigh myself there. So... that means changing my starting weight up 5 pounds.

Confession Time - 165 lbs is the most I've ever weighed except for when I was pregnant (which is not the same thing at all). So, although I am not super overweight, I am not okay with the way the scale is movin' on up! I really need to turn things around!

Good news: I am on my 4th bottle of water, I did weights this morning and I have had a number of fruits and veggies in my diet today.

Bad news: I am still into the sweets and "the sweets" is mainly what is keeping my weight from going down. It doesn't seem to matter how much I am on target WEED-wise as long as I am eating any sweets, my weight does not turn downward.

SIGH!! This too will get better. It is sweet season after all. Soon the sweets will be out of the house.

WELCOME OnlyWomanInTheHouse and Bikini Ready! Let's do it!!

NurseMichelle: A day all to yourself should not, and I repeat, should not include CLEANING HOUSE!! Stop that this instant and find something soothing to do, you nut!!! As to a trainer, I don't need one. I know a lot about weight training and it is great to be back at it. It is a gym with a very reasonable plan of $14/month which is withdrawn twice a month, $7.00 each time and you can stop at anytime with 30 days notice! The cardio I will probably stick with is the bike and the treadmill. My knees have been a problem for me for a year now, so I can't put much weight into them. If I bike at too high of a level it hurts the knees, so I will keep the levels low there, which is fine because I only want to burn fat when I am doing cardio. I will save burning muscle when I do weights. If I walk on the treadmill I'm fine though I find it a bit to get used to the treadmill. Hard on my calves and shins even with the excellent running shoes I bought. Running might be easier (I don't know why I think that!). If I do run, I can not do it on an incline because again, the knees get aggrevated with the extra pressure. Weights-wise, I split the work-out up between free weights and machines. I divide my weight work-out days into 3 days: 1 day I do legs; another day I do back, chest and shoulders; and the third day I do biceps, triceps and calves. This gives the muscles time to restore themselves between workouts. This gym does not offer any classes which is fine with me. The two times I've been to the gym so far it has been very quiet, but that might be due to the holidays. No waiting yet.

jcatron243: Sounds like getting back on track has been difficult with all the drama going on around and in you. Hang in there! Glad you had a great Xmas!

Nixmom: My thoughts are with you today.

mtiger: Here we go, indeed!!

AUD: WHERE ARE YOU!! I MISS YOU, YOU WACKY GAL YOU!!! TALK TO ME!

Last edited by Clykk; 12-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #11  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink

Just got back from lunch and then a visit to my friends house. I had a bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwich. Not too bad. Then we did Wii fit for a while. The one "game" that kind of gives a good workout is Hula Hoop. She does have Jillian's game too. That one gives you a pretty good workout. Some things are too hard to figure out. We couldn't get our character to punch or kick in the boxing workout. It was fun.

So I am on track and not going to blow it now.

Michelle- You are the ultiamate personals responder. You are amazing. Sounds like you are busy on your day off. I only have to make some lesson plans before I go back next Monday. Other than that I am free. 195 sounds great by the way.

Only- Welcome!!!

Jeni- Glad to see you back at it. I know how good the running feels. 2 days ago it was 60 here and I heard the call of the wild. Had to go out for a walk/jog. It felt great.

Bikini- Welcome!!

Clykk- We'll have to start calling you gym rat.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #12  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm baaaack...it's only been a few hours....some random ideas.....

OMG I look a mess today! I am wearing my workout sweats, oversized t shirt, hair up in bun with elastic headband pushing my bangs back, no makeup since I was going to the gym. I had to run to Walmart, needed cat food and toothpaste. So of course I ran into EVERYONE I know. LOL

But since everything is kind of cheap there I decided to buy up some "diet friendly" things that I'm not sure I like to try out. I picked up some little cottage cheese snack packs (2% milk, 90 calories and 11 grams of protein! WOW!) and it turns out, I like it! My mom used to put salt and pepper in hers so I did and it was a good snack. I also thought I should try yogurt, even though I don't think I like yogurt, it reminds me of being too bitter or having a weird aftertaste...so since of course I ran into people I knew, they reccommended some kinds that I should like. I haven't had one yet, any suggestions? I picked two weight watchers ones and one with granola crunchies this guy I knew suggested. Then I picked up some reduced fat Triscuits hoping to try Laughing cow cheese wedges, but they didn't carry them...will pick up next trip to regular grocery store.

Did not get to the gym though. In the off chance that I get to stay home instead of going to work at 7p (sometimes we get time off if we are over staffed or census is low, but it probably isn't my turn for awhile) then that will be my sign that I HAVE to go, no excuses. But to me, work is a bit of a workout....I am on my feet, running for 12 hours and usually only have time for a small meal and a snack or so, lots of water, lots of activity. (ah crap I just called to work to see what census was, they are busy and I am definitely needed....LOL) But I will pack my lunch and stay the **** away from the vending machines...!

Eating lunch/supper now....made 1 serving of chicken noodle soup(one of those microwaveable Harvest Select soups) a South Beach sandwich, the pepper turkey with pepper jack cheese (those sandwiches are GOOD! and BIG!) the cottage cheese single and a peach. I am stuffed and I still have most of the soup and the whole peach left. Hm. How bout that! I will probably put the peach back and eat it on my way to work. I still want to make my cheese soup....here's the recipe if anyone is interested...

Veggie Cheese Soup

6 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
20 oz frozen mixed vegetables (I use zucchini and yellow squash w/ red onion mix)
1 small onion, chopped (mmm again, I like red onions!)
7 oz Kraft Velveeta Light Reduced-Fat Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product
15 oz Del Monte Diced Tomatoes With green chilis, jalapenos, OR MILD Rotel (tried it with original rotal and wow is it hot).

Sautee onion in a little of the chicken broth.
Add rest of broth, veggies and tomatoes and cook until veggies are tender, approx 5 minutes.
add cubed cheese and stir over low heat until melted.
salt and pepper to taste.
yield: 10 cups

I love that it is spicy from the tomato/Rotel mix. Well, gotta get showered and ready for work. Love to all! xoxoxo Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Today went well for me, all of my WEED was accomplished!

For tomorrow:
W- 80oz
E- Spin class
E- No munching
D- Smile a lot because I feel good (just got over a cold)

I made a journal for me to log what I eat and exercise as well. It helped me a lot beofre but I got out of the habit and think it's time to get back to it.

Time to get some beauty sleep
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #14  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

I'm here.......I'm gonna try to avoid the scale but measure everything. I'm shooting to be under 200 by my birthday in March. When my clothes fit better I'll hit the scale.

I am still tired, i'm supposed to be trying to relax but studying for astronomy exam and a health exam so I can skip out on those classes really does me in. I'm tired. Always. LOL.

Santa sux. Seriously. I asked for playoffs and I got hosed. Christmas wasn't all that special this year. It didn't feel like it at all really. Captain's doing ok, thanx for asking

Ron will live for now. If he's lucky he'll make it to our 10 year anniversary in March

I'll post in the AM, i gotta conk out..
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Morning ladies. HI HolyT!

Day 2 of being on track here I come! I got in my mornng pilates now it is time fo extra laps.

W 64
E pilates/extra laps
E1400 cals
D plan plan plan!