Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

Default New Couch to 5K Week 3

On to week three for the new Couch to 5K gang

I was under the weather yesterday and did not get my run in. I am aiming for doing my runs on Wednesday Friday and Sunday this week.

Keep up the good work everyone - we can do this!!
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/138/129

Height: 5'4"

Hi all,

I finished W3D1 yesterday, and it wasn't terrible. That first 3 minute run was a bit tough, but I stayed with it. I'll be doing day 2 tomorrow, so we'll see if it gets any easier. I'm still at 4mph walking and 6mph running.

Hope your feeling better soon Karen!

Last edited by tferg2000; 11-11-2008 at 07:46 AM.
tferg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #3  

I'm feeling much better today thanks We (hubby and I) went to the gym this morning and had a workout there. I'll do Week 3 day 1 tomorrow morning before I head off to work. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad - the three minutes straight sound tough but I'll push through
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #4  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I did day 1 week 4 today. It was great. I managed to do all of it and it wasnt terribly difficult. It has gotten me geared up. I am even more motavated now to make sure I get to my goal. I cant wait to be able to run a 3k nonstop!
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #5  

I finished W3D2 this morning, and it was a bit easier I guess. This time it was that last 3 minute run that got me, but I did make it through, so hurray!

Gatorgirl- great job on getting to week 4. I'm a little nervous about increasing the run time longer than the 3 minute intervals, but I haven't looked ahead to see what's in week 4. I don't want to psych myself out, thinking "there is no way I can run for that long", so, I'll just wait and do it!

Karen- glad you're feeling better. It's rough sticking with a work out plan when your not feeling well, great job sticking to it!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #6  

Hoy... It took me until this afternoon to finally do Week 3 Day 1. But it is now done and I feel good. This week I'll do my runs on Wednesday Friday and Sunday (instead of Monday Wednesday and Friday)
Old 11-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #7  
waisting away

tferg: I didnt think I would be able to do it. I was having trouble with the 3 min intervals during week 3 and was really sucking wind at the end. But somehow when I started week 4, it just got easier. I did slow it down a little to 5.3. I am more concerned with distance than speed. Also, although the times were pretty much the same, since I want to run the distance I started tracking myself by distance. I think it is good to switch in week 4. I dont track time anymore. It works well. Keep with it.

I am bummed that I cant do my next c25k day until friday. I meet with my trainer for an hour tomorrow and then 2 hrs of line dancing. Cant wait to get running again.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #8  
waisting away

My trainer canceled, so I did w4d2 today. It went well. I can feel that I am going to be sore tomorrow. Keep on going everyone!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #9  

Hi All-

I just finished week 3, hurray! Those last 3 minutes still were tough, but I will move on to week 4 next week and see how it goes.

Gator- I'm not really sure how to do the program for distance instead of time. Are you already doing the full 5K? When I run at 6mph and walk at 4mph I ended up at 2.33 miles for week 3. I've been walking a little extra to get to 2.5 at the end. Anyway, if you can explain how to do it by distance instead of time, I'd be interested. I'm using the podcasts that tell me when to switch from running to walking, so I don't really pay attention to the time.

Great job everyone, keep at it, we can do this! We're on track to finish by Christmas, what a great gift to ourselves!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #10  

I plan to do Week 3 day 2 later this afternoon. We were in a hurry to get out the door this morning and I had to put the run aside til later.

Finishing this at the end of the year is indeed a wonderful gift to ourselves And imagine that we can ring in the New Year as 5K runners I like this

Back to work for a bit...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #11  
waisting away

tferg: I am at the end of week 4. I am definitally not running a 5k yet. lol. If you are running outside, then it might be difficult to track distance. Weeks 1-3, I was tracking how long each segment of running or walking is by time. Like walking 3 min etc. When I started week 4 I decided to track myself by distance. I now run 1/2 mile instead of for 5 min. Yes, it works out to be about the same right now, but I know that in the later weeks, when I slow down I want to be able to go further. I am doing this so that at the end I can run a 5k, not just for 30 min. I know I wont be able to keep up the speed when the distances get longer. Like you said, you are having to walk at the end to get to the distance. I am trying to prevent that from happening later on when it is more difficult to change. I could be crazy and this could not matter at all, but Im trying to do it this other way and it is working well for me. Weeks 4 and 5 have you doing 2 miles (in different intervals) plus warm up and cool down. If I did it by time, I would not make it the full 2 miles.

I dont know if that made any sence...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #12  

I'm starting the week 4 thread now