Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #76  
At it again

Hi everyone Melissa, it is hard to eat really well on a budget, but I try to remember all of the $$ I've wasted on junk food in the past and realize buying nutritious food is really not so bad. I mean, we think nothing of spending $5+ on a single burger/fries, when we could cook it at home for much less. But, you're right - the whole grain, low cal bread is more than the generic wheat, the lean cuts of meat are more, etc.

I find I can usually afford the "good" stuff because I'm buying less food in general now. We've never really eaten a lot of red meat, so that's not an issue. I buy chicken breasts in bulk when they're on sale or get a big bag of frozen breasts from Sam's. They last a long time now that I'm measuring out what a real serving should be. I use veggies, beans, eggs, etc. for the main component of my meals, with a smaller amount of added protein. Things like turkey chili - only one lb of turkey, then load up with beans, tomatoes, etc. Stir fries are another good choice - small amount of chicken, a couple bags of frozen veggies, & some spices, served with brown rice. Yummy and quick!

While like everyone else, I prefer fresh veggies, I will usually eat frozen - more cost effective and always available in my freezer One thing I've found since starting to eat better - I'm a better cook than I was before. Since we eat a lot of the same basic things, like chicken, I've been experimenting with new spices, etc. I also surf a few websites, like cookinglight.com, for new ideas. It's always cheaper and healthier if you cook it yourself from scratch, whatever it is!

I would love to hear about what everyone else is cooking!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

rmc - thanks for the encouragement you are right. I just have to find a way to make it happen. I think the main things I'm spending money on are the Jimmy Dean Delights breakfast sandwiches (I love them but they are about $7.00 for 4 sandwiches)....the diet cokes (gonna have to go generic brand)

But one good thing...skim milk is cheaper than whole milk!!!!

Most of my meals center around meat....I would love to get new recepies that feature alot of veggies with some meat! I do have a recipe for a good stir fry I will share with you below......the frozen bags of chicken are a good idea and they go on sale from time to time...so that helps me...and slim fast used to have a really good turkey chili on their website...I think I will go look that up cause "chili" weather is amoung us...LOL!

Chinese stirfry

8oz lean pork chops (or chicken if you prefer)
celery
onions
garlic
vegetable oil
brown rice (or noodles which ever you prefer)
stir fry sauce

Salt and pepper the pork chops (or chicken) and grill until cooked through then slice into strips and cut up the strips so there are small bite size pieces of pork (or chicken). Cook rice (or pasta). Meanwhile - take a large skillet and turn it on to medium high heat. Add a small amount of vegetable oil (or no calorie cooking spray works good too and saves calories) Slice up celery (as much or as little as you like) and add to the skillet. Dice up the onions (semi-medium pieces) and add to the skillet (again as much or as little as you like). Add diced garlic (to taste....put in alot if you love garlic). When celery is almost done (starting to get a little tender but still kinda crunchy) add the pork (or chicken) pieces and stirfry sauce. Put rice (or noodles) on a plate and top with stir fry mixture.

YUMMY! I will try to post a pic next time I cook it.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 252/223/160

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Hi everyone

I just wanted to post a couple of things that I love to eat. I love the new "Arnold Select Sandwich Thins"! They are like a roll but only 100 calories. They have whole wheat, multigrain and whole grain white. I eat the wheat ones. Put a turkey burger, tomatoes, lowfat mayo, on it and it is like having a regular burger...yum. I also use it for regular sandwiches. The steamed frozen veggies are great! One meal I made everyone in the family loved...Grilled chicken (George foreman grill) 3-4oz, 1/2 cup Uncle Ben's 90 second brown wild rice, 2/3 c corn, and 2oz of lowfat cheddar... mixed and heated in microwave until cheese melts. It is so filling! 400 calories. Fast, easy, and delicious. I am on a 1600 calorie plan and try to mix it up between a lot of different veggies, fruits, proteins, carbs, and fats. I try to limit the carbs and fats to every other meal if that.

Can't wait until tomorrow for the mini challenge. I have joined other challenges as well as this one. (I hope that is ok) I just want all the fun I can get! This sounds like the ultimate!!

See you tomorrow!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess2323 View Post
. At least there's Subway..
i had to chuckle cause i did the subway gig for a while--- it totally worked for me --- what i did was live off of their sandwiches for like 6 months to a year--but it was totally worth it cause i was in school and spent most of my time there and worked out between classes--- i used to split the six inch in half and eat half before my workout and then eat the other half after the workout--- i did this like twice a day though--- i had some long breaks between my classes freshman year --- i lost like 30 lbs doing that --but i totally believe it had to do with watching what i ate and working out--- like hey everyone get moving --- whatever u do just move it to lose it[/QUOTE]

LOL I normally don't do it because it's EXPENSIVE to eat out a lot. But yeah it has sorta helped me out staying on track.

McKenziesMomma That stirfry sounds so good.

RMC I love your avatar..!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

McKenziesmomma: I LOVE those D-Lights sandwiches! I buy mine at Smart 'n Final and they're a little cheaper than at the grocery store. I'm hoping Costco will start carrying them in a bigger package. I would eat one everyday if they didn't cost so much!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #81  
:)

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
McKenziesmomma: I LOVE those D-Lights sandwiches! I buy mine at Smart 'n Final and they're a little cheaper than at the grocery store. I'm hoping Costco will start carrying them in a bigger package. I would eat one everyday if they didn't cost so much!
Me tooooo!!! Tried the breakfast bowls? Amazing!

:hugs: to all!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #82  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

I dont have time to go back and read everything right now...but I will! Hi everyone!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

hey blueyed! Welcome! The most important thing to read is the first page where it has the guidelines for weigh ins and such! By ALL MEANS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CATCH UP! But - week one weigh ins start 10/31 for Friday weighers - and I don't want you to miss if that's you. (week one weighin is due BY 11/6 at 11:59 PM (EST)
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #84  
Intuitive Eater

Melissa, dried beans are really cheap and can make for a good meal. Good source of protein and fiber. If you like country cookin' try some pinto beans and cornbread. Nice cheap meal. Add some cooked kale on the side and a salad of lettuce and onions with vinegar and oil. mmmmmmm Very practical. Very delish!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

blueyedlvrgirl: I'm from North County too! We live in Vista. It seems like we have quite a few San Diegans on the board now!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 208.8/170.2/140

Height: 5'4"

How is everyone doing? Ready for the challenge to begin? I know I'm ready for the first weigh in, I've been working really hard this week. You asked why everyone joined the challenge and pretty much I was just looking for a place of support, and this one seems like it will be active, aaaand... who doesn't love mini-challenges to keep things interesting?

Melissa- I know what you mean as far as a budget. I buy my food and my boyfriends for between 50-65 per week. Talk about tight. I know you were talking about the bread, but something I'm in love with is Smart Wraps- they only have 100 calories and have twn grams of protein I think, as well as 13 grams of fiber. And they taste good- there's olive oil and tomato and basil... not sure what else. I make a bunch of different wraps. Peanut Butter and Jelly, tuna fish, veggie. And as far as meats and whatnot, I personally don't eat meat... I eat fish. But I've found that the cans of albacore tuna come in handy and they're cheap and can be two wraps, or you can just eat it with a little mayo out of the can if you don't want the carbs. Maybe try the canned chicken... or frozen breasts if you have the money. One chicken breast could probably be two wraps. I think for six wraps it's three dollars and change.

I also lean more towards the frozen fish and whatnot at Walmart, I get the bag of tilapia with 5-6 filets for like 3.50. That lasts me a week. Sometimes it helps to cook all of it ahead of time, that way all you have to do is reheat it when you are ready. The Ziploc Vacuum bags come in handy for this- it can stay in the freezer for a month and it wouldn't matter. When I was on second shift I used to make one set meal per week and freeze it in the bags, the fish and veggie- or whatever the case may be. You just toss it on a plate and heat it up. And by the end, you'll have a variety of really easy meals to take without the fuss, AND you don't have to worry about the sodium that all of the Lean Cuisine's and Smart Ones are loaded with.

I also usually buy the five pound bag of veggies for liiiike... $6 dollars, and that lasts a long time as well. Three or four weeks. Just a couple ideas. There's also the Uncle Ben's rice that you can heat up right in the bag inside the microwave... 1.50-ish at walmart, and it could be two or three servings of rice for meals. A lean chicken, brown rice and some veggies. Another thing that I found is that salads are a great thing to have- cheap too. If you have a farmers market around, usually that is the best way to go.

Hope I was a little help! Good luck with your food budget.

Jen
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Great ideas Jen!
I love the farmers market. Planning on hitting it up this weekend.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

The farmers Market is AWESOME! my DD and I LOVE goign there on Saturdays! They are generally MUCH less then grocery store produce!

Mel - money sucks, and the fact that "nutrious foods" cost more is just CRAZY!!! Honestly, I hit up can good sales BIG TIME! I know they aren't the best form of veggies, but they are better then none. I'm not a big meat eater, I do a lot of chicken. I live on the tuna pouches for my lunches, sometimes as a sandwich, sometimes not.. depends how lazy I'm being in the morning! Throwing a bunch of veggies in with anything works.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #89  
:)

Height: 5'7

Our market is closed for the winter.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie22 View Post
Can't wait until tomorrow for the mini challenge. I have joined other challenges as well as this one. (I hope that is ok) I just want all the fun I can get! This sounds like the ultimate!!

See you tomorrow!
Thanks for all the ideas! I can't wait for the challenges also! You are more than welcome to participate in as many challenges and as many threads as you can keep up with......you will meet alot of people here that will be able to offer you support and good ideas and you will be able to do the same for them as well....like you just did for me! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackie View Post
McKenziesMomma That stirfry sounds so good.
It is good! I love Chinese but can't afford to eat out much.....this gets me my fix and doesn't cost me alot of calories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
Wal-mart is the cheapest place here....those things just ain't cheap! AND THEY ARE SOOOOO GOOD! I am with you....I could totally eat one a day! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlvrgirl View Post
I dont have time to go back and read everything right now...but I will! Hi everyone!
Its okay...don't get overwelmed...everyone is just soooo excited and ready to get started! It will slow down some....but just come as often as you like and read what you can! We are glad to have everyone here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Serenity View Post
Melissa, dried beans are really cheap and can make for a good meal. Good source of protein and fiber.
That is actually one change I made back in the summer....not so much for financial needs but to cut back on sodium....the problem I'm running into now is having the time to cook them....I thought about trying my hand at canning....and doing small jars of beans and just popping one open and heating when we wanted beans....I love beans....white beans, pinto beans, kidney beans...etc...the only problem is white beans and pinto beans usually makes me want some good ole' corn bread...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1019 View Post
Melissa- I know what you mean as far as a budget.....But I've found that the cans of albacore tuna come in handy and they're cheap and can be two wraps, or you can just eat it with a little mayo out of the can if you don't want the carbs. Maybe try the canned chicken... or frozen breasts if you have the money. One chicken breast could probably be two wraps. I think for six wraps it's three dollars and change.

I also lean more towards the frozen fish and whatnot at Walmart, I get the bag of tilapia with 5-6 filets for like 3.50.....Hope I was a little help! Good luck with your food budget.

Jen
You were alot of help! Thank you! I forgot about the bags of tilapia...sometimes they go on sale two bags for $5.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygirl View Post
The farmers Market is AWESOME! my DD and I LOVE goign there on Saturdays! They are generally MUCH less then grocery store produce!

Mel - money sucks, and the fact that "nutrious foods" cost more is just CRAZY!!! Honestly, I hit up can good sales BIG TIME! I know they aren't the best form of veggies, but they are better then none. I'm not a big meat eater, I do a lot of chicken. I live on the tuna pouches for my lunches, sometimes as a sandwich, sometimes not.. depends how lazy I'm being in the morning! Throwing a bunch of veggies in with anything works.
Yes money does suck....you know everyone wants to complain about the "obesity problem" in America but all they want to do is get rich off it......no one truely wants to help. I am starting to check the sales papers but I swear it seems like everything on sale is cokes, chips, cookies, ice cream.....RRRRRR !!!!

Oh well...I will figure something out I guess!

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 10-29-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Closed Thread