Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 266/245/176

Height: 5' 9"

Default vegas!

Hi Brigid:

I have been successful eating out even at the most caloric places by watching portions portions portions.

First: dont even go there with the chips or the breadbasket--once you start those when you are hungry I just never stop. One time I was at a meal and everyone was horking down the bread and olive oil. I was drinking a caffe latte and a huge bottle of pellegrino so I had something to do with my hands. The guy next to me had a huge belly and he ate probably two baskets of bread on his own--while saying how he envied me my weight loss. It felt so great. I love bread but it just isnt worth gaining weight for.

second: order that salad with fat free dressing or have a tomato juice or veggie soup to start and eat it slowly. This helps curb the appetite and you will simply not be as hungry when the entree comes. j

Three: order something that is fairly healthy--have any fatty sauces on the side--they usually give it to you in a teensy container. Then divide the entree in half and ask for a to-go box right away and put half in the togo box. If you can remove bread or scrape off something or napkin some grease before eating do so--you will be saving cals and the item will taste just as good!

Four: dessert time: order a tea or coffee and share your dessert. get an extra plate and put how much you want to eat on the plate and eat it slowly while sipping coffee. I have been successful at making two bites last 15 minutes and have saved tons of calories while everyone else gobbles it down.

Okay--those are my ideas!

Sno
Snowbrocade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Sno! Those are great tips!

I definately need to get back in the habit of getting a to go box at the beginning of the meal and boxing it up right away. That will also help with my resolution to save money
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #48  
Lets Stop Yo Yoing

S/C/G: 283/276/170

Height: 5 7

Default Hi, Newbie here

Well, I have offically began my "get healthier" well.. Its been 7 days on Weight Watchers...
I begin a new group at my house with 5 others.... hoping that friends together will help each other....
Begabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #49  

Height: 5'6"

hi everybody hope u are all fine thanks everybody for the warm welcome ,snow it was so nice of u to remember well today i was thinking all day about my diet and exercise and i decided on a plan, i simply balloon up when i eat white rice and my hubby loves it so i have to make it for him and then i cant resist and gobble it down so i want to limit my rice and wheat intake along with that i plan on eating an apple a day and exercise exercise and exercise
snow: those were some really good tips coz we go out at least once a week
bridget:vegas seems like a great idea we are also planning a trip somewhere in feb but havent decided where to go lets hope we lose some pounds before travelling
im going to update my ticker and this time id love it to move rather than expiring
strawberryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #50  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Top O the morning to ya ladies!

It's nearly been a week for us - and I have to say, I feel GREAT. The heartburn I had over the holidays has subsided, I feel more limber, my skin is softer (must be all the water). I made an attempt to get on my scale this morning. It says I'm down 1.5 pounds, but I don't trust it enough to move my ticker yet...

Sno: Your Phd not only sounds interesting, but FUN as well ~ an unusual combo, IMO. My DH is working on his PhD now (cog science), so I completely get the phenomenal amount of work that goes into it. Good luck on your dissertation!...Thanks for the wine tips. I've never considered measuring my wine - but it's probably something I need to do. ::SIGH::

Luxor: Vegas in Feb will be sooo much fun! Do your best; you can find the balance in enjoying yourself w/o feeling deprived. I think your tips on alcohol cals are great - thank you!... Last time I was in Vegas it was my bday, but as usual, I was dieting. I wanted to have a great birthday and enjoy Vegas, so I took an 'off' day that day and ate whatever I wanted and drank too many cocktails. The other 2 days there though, I stayed OP. I remember not losing that week, but nor did I gain. Maybe you could try something like that - just choose a day to get wild (afterall, it is VEGAS!) and be conservative the rest of the days....Just a thought.

Today I am buying a NEW CAR!!! So I am excited!!!

Last edited by wish4fit; 01-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Hi Everybody!

Happy Sunday! I'm proud to say that I've been planning before I eat, counting my calories and feeling in control again. Plus, I've been exercising religiously. (I'm so grateful for my new treadmill.) As far as the scale, I think I'm going to have to buy a new one and just rely on how my pants feel. If they start getting looser, I will know I'm getting to my goal. This all has been a real turnaround for me, since I was spiraling downward after the holidays. All of you have inspired me so much!

Sno, thanks for starting this challenge. You have some great tips! Good luck on your dissertation. Do you have much longer to go? By the way, you are doing an awesome job on your eating and exercising!

Strawberry, Congrats on your new elliptical and your goal of exercising on it. That's a good one for your legs and butt. When I belonged to the gym, that was one of my favorites. I like your idea of eating an apple a day. Maybe I should get into that habit, too.

Luxor/Bridget, I hope the birthday party went well. I'm like you -- I'd rather save my cals for something that I know will taste good. Planning is the best thing for me, too.

Wish, Thanks for your warm welcome. I'm impressed that you made great choices for your dinner party. Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Begabo, Welcome! The gals here are fantastic! Good luck on your Weight Watchers plan.

Here's to another great week, everybody.
Dena

Last edited by Den@; 01-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #52  

Default Sunday

Hi all:

It is sunday and I am waiting for the rain to slow down so I can the sad dog out for her walk. I have one of my fave reggae CD's on--Toots and the Maytalls--it is a double album with Funky Kingston and In the Dark.

I lost another lb today--really happy about how the xmas weight is peeling off. I knew it but still it is good to see! I had some fear that I would just keep eating and gaining. But I got it together!

Yeah--I hit another level with exercise--this week I think I went only one day without exercising--and my goal was 5 days a week. My dog kinda keeps me going. She sits in front of me and stares if the walk hasnt happened in her timetable.

Bridget: yeah the to go box thing is a winner. I need to get back into that now that xmas is over. Sometimes my stomach will persuade me that I have eaten enough but sometimes I ignore it. That would be the next level I guess.

Strawberry: Gosh I remember you mentioning this on the last challenge! Rice really sabotages you! I love white rice. Especially with a bunch of soy sauce on it. I grew up in Japan and pretty much had it for every meal. I also really like fragrant brown rice. How about asking hubby to bring home pre-prepared white rice--it is really cheap from chinese restaurants. That way you wont smell it cooking which I know is the hard part! Or ask him if there can be no rice for several months while you are trying to lose weight--I am sure he would understand. I asked my hubster to not eat chips,crackers or candy in front of me and he totally got it. Also, you can practice in your mind seeing the rice and then walking away from it. Or rehearse it when you plan to eat some--just put it away and see if you can keep putting it away. I usually last about three reps on this before I just put it away. It strengthens that resisting food muscle. Think of a phrase to say when you see something "irresistible" Like I want to fit in size 10 pants or something. Or what works for me is I imagine getting on the scale the next day--I see it in my mind--and seeing the scale register up instead of down! And finally:

Wish4: ohh yay! What kinda car? Cant wait to hear about it. Oh, also I forgot to say about the wine--alcohol dehydrates so your body will retain water after drinking it--make sure to drink tons of water to prevent that!!

Begabo: Please tell us more about you and how its going!

Dena: great job! You must feel so invigorated and proud--it is hard to establish new habits like that! Like I started with 5 minutes of walking I guess about a year ago and added 5 minutes a day until here I am with and hour--I thought I would stop at .5 hour but didnt!

Well my dissertation is probably a lot different than wish4's husbands. I have been lolly gagging on getting it done but now I have to else I will pay more money--starting in April. I will post my abstract.

Have a great day all--I am off to walk!

Sno
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #53  

Hero Unveiled: Transformation of Myth through Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Dissertation Abstract

The popular television series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, has transformed the conventional hero myth from a depiction of a brawny, dominating loner to a more complex portrayal of a discerning and developing champion of the people. Despite being an often targeted scapegoat for social and interpersonal ills, television is a storytelling medium that plays a major role in influencing human consciousness by conveying mythic patterns. The popularity of certain mythic images and stories imparted by television signifies collective tendencies and needs. Female superhero images in media provide a heroic portrayal of women and herald the recognition of expressions and contributions of femininity.
Many traditional myths disappoint in their lack of relevance to contemporary culture, particularly in their portrayal of women. History has indirectly criticized accomplished women by leaving their stories untold. Social learning deficits regarding the interaction with and the development of powerful femininity have occurred due to disconnection from the lineage of women in history and myth. Potent feminine qualities have developed in isolation due to this insufficiency in stories.
Jungian dream, film and fairytale interpretation techniques are utilized in this inquiry to analyze Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a dream of the collective. Mythological studies assist in discovering the role this television series plays as a modern myth that portrays the development of and relationships to powerful femininity. In the sense that "stories are medicine" (Estes, 1992), this study reveals what instructions-what medicines-are found in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #54  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Afternoon ladies! Thanks for all of the encouragement I am on my way to my first completely on plan day of January woohoo! I feel awesome. I started my morning off with some tennis, and it really set a good tone for the rest of the day. I have been eating 100% on plan so far, and supper is already planned out. Turkey bacon, Turkey burgers on wheat toast with baked potatoes and salad as the side dish.

Yesterday I went a little overboard at Olive Garden. I had the pork tenderloin (only ate half, gave the rest to a friend to take home) with steamed broccoli (delicious)...But the breadsticks got me (3 of them jumped me and forced themselves into my mouth), and my friends complimentary cheesecake wasn't so great for me either. I hope the two hours of neon bowling afterwards helped a little

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

PS. Buffy kicks butt LOL.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 156/156/130

Height: 5'1

Hey everyone!!! Just wanted to stop in a say a quick hello to everyone!!!!

Begabo- WELCOME!!! I was on weight watchers for a few years and I loved it!!!! Good luck with it all!!!

Sno- I want a doggie so badly, partly because they are adorable, and partly because of what you said- they need to be walked and I think that would motivate me to get moving! Well we shall see... But you're doing a great job, congrats!!!

sockmonkey- i love the olive garden, I have the same problem with food jumoing into my mouth Today a piece of chocolate cake made it's way into my mouth! EEK!!! I'm not trying to drink extra water to combat it!

Still trying to stay on plan!!!
futuremrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #56  
Angela

I'm just about off to bed now but am getting the 10PM muchies so thought I would log on to keep my mind of the refigerator...I'm at 1300 cals, so could probably afford a little snack, but it's too late to be putting food in me.

Sno: I half expected your abstract to sound a little zany, but it's really quite impressive and intelligent. Who knew Buffy could be the subject of academia?!?.... And great job on yet ANOTHER pound lost - truly impressive! BTW - I got the calculation for determining cals per day at your goal weight. It is: goal weight X 12 = maintenance calories. You might be needing that soon ;-)! I actually adjusted my goal weight, so my maintenance cals are 1650. I have only hit that one day this week though, so things are lookin good.

Sock: I love tennis and it is the best exercise. U are doing great - a few breadsticks won't keep you from reaching your goal. You are halfway already!

Strawberry: White rice and I also have an obsessive relationship. I think it does something funny to my blood sugar that just makes me want to keep eating it and eating it! What a strange food.

Dena: Keep kickin butt on that treadmill - you goooo girl!

And just to remind myself of the good things I've done for myself since '08 started:
No cola consumed - neither diet, nor regular!
No red meat consumed!
Exercised 4X!
Yippee!

Goodnight all....

Last edited by wish4fit; 01-06-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #57  

i was about to go to bed but then i remembered that i havent posted today so here i am .i cant wait to start the new week well SNOW as wish4fit mentioned r transcript really looks very intelligent and sophisticated best of luck with that and u cant imagine how much i LOVEEEE rice and i am trying to cook only that much rice which my hubby can eat at one time with just a little for my daughter this way i know that if ill eat it my hubby wont have any thing to eat and im also thinking of putting a phrase ( like u mentioned ) on the refrigerator something like "rice kills" or "eat good, look good"

wish: rice may be strange but it is a heavenly food other day i was thinking of my pre-pregancy days and my healthy weight and all the food which i used to aviod but rice wasnt one of them n i used to eat it till my tummy ans heart both were satisfied
well thinking about the old me i must tell u that after having the baby when i kept on putting the weight i became so careless about my food that i was eating cookies n icecreams n all the rich foods to my hearts satisfaction n i never want to do that again i really want to love myself and to take care of myself and i hope u all do the same
and begabo welcome
best of luck for the week everyone may u all stay OP and shed some lbs
strawberryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

I just have a few minutes before I need to drag the kids outta bed for the first day back to school But wanted to hop in and say my WI for today is...
261.2!!!!

yay! That made me so happy! I've been drinking tons of water, so I know that has been helping, and yesterday the kids & I walked to church I love that my new house is close enough to do that!! It was a total mind set thing too, because several people commented that *they* didn't think it was close enough (it took 15 mins to do, so it's WAY close, in my mind) and I got a lot of support and kudos from friends immediately. It was very nice.

However, last night my dinner plans got changed on me. Usually we do Sunday night dinners with my dad, brother & sister....taking turns cooking, but we usually try and keep it a little towards the healthy side. Well, my Bro's family is sick so we cancelled dinner....and went to my hubby's aunts house instead. I knew what they were having, so I planned it ahead, but did some mindless eating of tostada chips w/refried beans. I was way low on cals going in since I was prepared for an unknown meal, so I didn't end up over too much, but I did end up over a bit. Next time I will go sit in the living room with the kids instead of at the table with the adults...and the food And actually, with wish's formula, I was only 25 cals over my maintenance calorie allotment. That's not too bad at all! I just really have to watch that mindless eating. 4 times yesterday I caught myself licking my fingers after making a snack for the kids....peanut butter, honey, chocolate syrup and mayo. I did stop myself right away tho

Ok, I really need to get myself off the computer or I will never get the kids moving. I'll check in with everyone later

Have a great day!!!!
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #59  
Angela

I moved my ticker today as the scale read the same - WOO-HOO! The first of many pounds I will shed in 2008....GONE.

The new car I had planned on buying yesterday didn't work out...SIGH. I had a Honda that I just loved but to make a long story short...Snow came - people drive bad in snow - teenager going WAY TOO FAST hit us - car was crunched - insurance co. said 'totaled' - now we have a rented PC Cruiser - looking to buy an '06 or 07' Toyota Prius. We have only found 2 for sale within a 120-mile radius of us. Apparently, they are popular cars.

Straw: "RICE KILLS" - LOL!!!! Wouldn't your family/friends get a kick out of that!!

Luxor: Great job at eating at your in-laws. It's always a challenge when someone else prepares the food. You kept your wits about you and ended up with a 'maintenance day' at your goal weight - good practice for the future, IMO.

Sno: I was just re-reading your post of mental tricks to help you succeed. I am especially interested in the one where you visualize the rice in your mind's eye and then visualize yourself walking away from it. What a great motivational tool! Thanks... yet again.

I'm heading out for a walk today. It's really warm here - in the high 50's! Will prob post before bedtime.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Hi Everyone!

Monday, and the start of a brand new week.

Ok, I started the morning with a great breakfast-- eggbeaters-30 cals, French Toast-110 cals, bacon-50 cals, coffee with 4 oz. of 2% milk-60 cals...only to be starving at 10:00 am. I drank 4 bottles of water to boot. I guess getting on the treadmill this morning made me famished. It took all my will power to decide to get out of the house and get me a grande non-fat latte-130 cals at Starbuck's. That really saved me, but can be an expensive habit at $3.50 a pop.

What do you all do when hunger hits? What other tips can you share?

Here's to staying strong!
Hugs, Dena
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote