Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #61  
Also known as Tessa :)

S/C/G: 220/160/130

Height: 5'5

Hello everyone! I hope everyone's week is starting out great!

I did something today that I havn't done in months...I went to a fitness center and worked out! Yeah me! lol! I didn't do too much, but went on the treadmill for 20 minutes, and then ellipitical for 20 minutes. i didn't do any lifting. I just thought i'd try out this gym, and I've kind of decided I don't really like it. it is a little too far away, and it focuses more on muscle building than toning and weight loss. Lots of weight machines. I have a few more options anyway.

What do you gals think about Curves? I checked out out awhile ago, but kind of decided it wasn't intense enough for me. When I work out I really like to work up a sweat and run off some energy...didn't look like Curves would do that for me.

My diet today is going great so far too! I had slimfast granola bar for breakfast, shake and some yogurt for lunch, and tonight I am planning on making some chicken and potatoes.

Pretty, how exciting! LOL...how cute...him asking for pictures of rings you like. That is good that both of you are on the same page. 3 years is not too old at all...when he said he was older than you...I was thinking 8 or more years lol. It is kind of strange for me to finally be with someone. My bf Steve is the first guy I have stayed with more than 1 date...I'm 23 btw. lol. I was beginning to think I was going to become an old cat lady spinster. lol

Val...that would be a lot of work to paint inside cabnets. ewwww... EXcellent job this weekend though. How is your week starting out?

Mel, that sounds like a great goal! I know what you mean by saying 'regular people clothes.' I remember the day when I started fitting in larges, then mediums...great milestones. You will get there!

Hot, that sounds like a great motivator. Hope that your week is starting out great!

Sock, I hope you get some more time after you get settled into the routine of school. The beginning is always hard.

Ally, my period always messses up my weight. So, do you homeschool your kids, or just some extra tutoring? Hope that you are having a great start to the week!

Kappy! WTG on 1.4 weightloss! Keep it up!
colaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #62  

Where are all my challenge friends?

Yesterday turned out to be a fairly good day. Supper went well for me, but I got really munchy later in the night. I stopped myself before I went completely overboard...but still...

I did not get a subbing job today, so I'm just hanging around the house again. I am planning on hitting a different gym sometime today...not sure where, but somewhere.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #63  

Hey Tessa, I'm here! How was your retreat weekend? Good job on working out!!

Things are going ok for me. This weekend was not great foodwise. Sunday, my sister and I took my mom shopping and we went to lunch at the Thai place. I ate EVERY bite of my currry. My sister never eats much; she just naturally stops eating when she's full. My mother recently lost some weight and she's bound and determined to keep it off, so she only ate half of her food. But there's something about the way my mom talks to me that makes me revert to a rebellious 16 year old, so I kept eating and eating even though I was stuffed and my mom was giving me the evil eye. Then I went home and had fajitas with my husband. But I paid for it by feeling yucky all night.

I'm back on track today. Just for fun I entered my food intake from yesterday onto My Daily Plate, and I was surprised by how much I ate. I thought I was doing well, too. Even though I hate counting calories, I guess I should check it out once in a while to make sure I'm staying on track.

Well, I have class this afternoon so I need to work out this morning, but I also need to do some homework.

Have a great day, everyone!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #64  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

good morning ladies!

I hate Mondays. I felt awful all of yesterday... and so badly wanted to get some comfort food (cycle of death for me... I feel horrible/go through something hard/lose my appetite and think I deserve to eat whatever 'I feel like' because things suck so much). me and the pity parties! ugh.

BUT I stayed under my cals for the day. and did my workout. I've worked cardio into my every day before dinner and it's become habit now. yay! now to work in strength training

welcome back tessa! I havent gone to curves.. though I used to do strength training in college and loved it. I'm really stubborn/cheap. Do you have a curves nearby though? Maybe it'd be better to be part of a gym close to home?

it's funny how the calories sneak up darby! I always underestimate how much my food has. good luck with your morning workout!

k.. so I"m actually at work procrastinating so sorry for the short and sweet. Things are going well for me... but I gotta admit. I'm eating low cal ice cream pretty much everyday. I keep it within my calories for each day... but it's probably something I should eventually phase out. It's like my last grasp on comfort food.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #65  

Darby, camping was a LOT of fun. I really missed my boyfriend though...first time we have been apart during the weekend sense we started dating 4 1/2 months ago...he lives 2 hours away, so we spend entire weekends together usually. Camping was a lot of fun though, and recharged my energy and spiritually. I'm sorry that you had a rough time with your mother and sister while eating...I've gone through that also with my sister, who has been skinny her entire life. She used to make comments about how fast and much I ate...I cutt back my portions a lot though..so she stopped. DOn't let yesterday beat you up. It a great idea keeping track of calories...hope your Tuesday is continuing to be going great!

Val, excellent job keeping under your calories and getting your exercise in! You will hit your goal soon with no problem! Sorry that you had a rough day yesterday...just Monday blues, work stress??? Hang in ther!

I tried out another gym today. It was called Core Fitness. It was AWESOME! Each machine had its personal T.V., great weight machines, and the workers were veyr nice! It is too expensive though ... It turns out to be about $50 a month...if I had a full time teaching job I could see doing that...or if I start getting busy enough with subbing, but not right now at least. I got a free workout though, and I still have another free day pass to this place

I have two more workout centers I can check out. If I don't like any of the others, I might have to come back to reconsider this one.

One is Curves (not sure if that will be high intense enough for me...anyone here have experience with curves) and the other is the college gym that public can use fairly cheaply. It turns out to be about $20 a month at the Fieldhouse...now sure how much for Curves.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #66  

Hey Tessa,
I went to a Curves once with a friend who was a member. I wasn't terribly impressed. I did the circuit and didn't even work up a sweat. The machines are all hydraulic, so there's no way to increase the resistance and I think the body would eventually get used to the machines and there would be no improvement. I know some women use it and love it, but I just wasn't too impressed. I think it is probably great for somebody who has never exercised in her life; it's easy and non-intimidating.

Great job on the work outs, Val! And believe me, I know about the pity parties. It's easy to get off track. But hopefully today is a better day for you.

I worked out. I'm really enjoying this interval training. I've been reading about it everywhere. There was an article in this months Glamour and in Oprah's magazine, so it must be good! Ha! But seriously, it really makes me work hard and I feel like I'm getting more done in 25 minutes of intervals than in 45 or 60 minutes walking on the treadmill.

I'm off to Astronomy class. Did anyone see the eclipse last night? I woke up to see it, but it didn't look like I expected.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #67  

Darby...what exactly is interval training? I know I could just search it...but is it working really hard for short periods of time, and getting short breaks...I've heard of that. It seems to be working great for you though! No, I didn't see the Eclipse lastnight..dang...wish I would have known about it. My brother mentioned that he saw it too.

I had a nice afternoon/evening. I went to my brother Steve's house to hang out. I helped him clean, and as a thankyou he ordered Chinese food for us, and we watched a movie. We watch 'Notes on a Scandel." It was an ... interesting movie. Pretty distrubing...uncomfortable wise. It deals with some pretty rough topics...won't ruin it for anyone unless they havn't seen it and want to.

Even better yet though, I only ate half of my Chinese food. I put just part of it on a plate, and stuck the rest in his fridge (and then took it home...supper tomorrow now too lol).

Right now I am drinking some sleepy time tea...not working quite yet...but it is calming
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #68  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

hey everyone - sorry I haven't checked in this past week...

I went to WW yesterday and down another 2lbs. 5 lbs in total, 10 to go for the challenge!

I promise I'll go back and read through the thread and give my support where i can!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #69  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey all been busy and tired, so I haven't been filling in much info....I have pop'd on to read once in a while. My schedule has been busy and I am trying to get the house ready to have the carpets cleaned and sprayed for fleas. We are having a horrid horrid time with them, we bombed and I think they started laughing at us!

Anyway I am kinda at a plauteu I am up and down and ending down a little further over all but its very minimal numbers so not much change. We are going to Disneyland next week so while I am still trying to watch the calorie numbers, right now I need to work on finding some balance. Yesterday I was trying so hard to watch my calories I ended up too low and had a migraine 2 hours before I needed to go work! Luckily I was able to eat, take meds, and lay down for a bit and get rid of it. After that though I was feeling so blecky from getting to low that I ended up going over while working because I was afraid it would come back.

I want to see the scale move soooooo bad! Gotta run more to do!
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #70  

Vel, wtg on the weight loss! Keep up the excellent work! whohooo!

Ed, I had to laugh at your comment about laughing ticks. We used to have horrible problems with ticks when we had a cat at the farm, and they are impossible. We ended up having to have someone professional come in to bomb the place. I'm sorry that you aren't losing any more weight. Make sure you are getting enough calories...not getting enough is just has harmful as getting too much...messes up your metobolism (sp???). I'm sure you know that though :0) lol. Hang in there, and the weigh will start ticking off again soon!

So, I found my gym! YEah! WHohooo! I really like this place. IT is a little bigger than what I thought i was looking for, but I don't think there are many small gyms around in Iowa City, and if there are they close down fairly soon.

The best thing is this gym is about 2 minutes from my house. I didn't check out this gym until last, because I drove by it and it looked HUGE...my brother who worked across the street at ACT had heard a little about it...it has a pool, hot tubs, saunas, tennis counts, great gym...it sounded really pricey. I checked out the prices and they are actually cheaper than what I have been finding so far! I am going to be paying about $42 a month...it still seem kind of pricey, but I don't think I'm going to find anything cheaper.

One funny thing...when I got there...there were two guys and a girl behind the counter. I told them I was there to look around, and asked if I could have a tour. The two guys looked at eachother (younger, probably early 20s...probably go to the college here) and said...."hold on...be right back..." They went into the back room. The girl chuckled...and told me "they are probably playing rock, paper, scissors... to who gets to show you around. I laughed.

The guy who showed me around was really nice and thoroughal. I had a good 1/2 hour tour. He showed me everything! He also told me that I could pay for the very basic plan (where I could just do one of the activities...either the gym, or the pool, or the fitness classes...), but they had no way to track us to where we went after we scanned our card. So, I could get the cheapest plan and go whereever I want.

Now...I think I would feel a little guilty doing that...but I'm thinking about it. I just don't have much money right now, but if I started getting more of a steadier income I would have no problem paying the extra $15 a month, and maybe making a donation.

Ok...so, I worked out and did a great job. Third day in a row for me...! Whohooo! This gym was really nice. Had all the equipment, and after I become a full member I will get a free trainer for a day (the guy recommended me to get Holly...just typing it here in case I forget later), the people there were really nice, and there were T.V.s on most of the equipment too like at the other really nice place. I hit the jackpot I think

So, I just finished lunch...slimfast shake and some yogurt. I have the rest of my Chinese food tonight for supper...might cook up an egg to go with it. We'll see how hungry I am feeling .
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Colaz I'm so jealous! A gym with all those features around here is $100/month easy! I'm at a bare bones, no showers, no locker rooms gym at $20/month. It serves it's purpose. I had a trainer for about 5 months, and while it was fab that by the end of that time I could things physically that I had never, ever been able to do I have to admit my trainer was a bit of a . . . what's the word I want . . . loose cannon. He was so busy hitting on all the younger, hottie chicks it got frustrating. I never got a program from him, everything changed every time we did it. Write it down and repeat it myself later was tried, several times, but the way he mixed things up it got way to confusing to remember. He didn't care about form at all, with him it was do the number he decided however you can get it done.

So here I am, 6 months later, almost 10 pounds heavier and starting over again. I'm two months into going regularly, one month into going twice a day (I have issues with my feet, I can do 2 35 minute cardio sessions relatively ok, but I cannot make one 65 minute session to save my soul). Next month I add in either yoga (2x/wk) or weight training (3x/wk), the month after the other. I figure if I can add something a month and fight to stick to it, the incremental changes aren't as hard to achieve. And maybe, just maybe with a lot of faith and more perserverance, this blessed excess weight will decide it's more fun to leave than continue to stick around!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #72  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

seasoning
"I was doing well today until this evening. I ate some bacon, which makes me gain 100 pounds per slice"

I about peed in my pants from this quote....I have the same unfortunate and doomed love of bacon.

Kappy

You can do yoga at home....it is pretty easy. Here's a helpful link!

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/beginners...a-sessions.asp

I have started doing my cardio with gusto again and couldn't be happier! I have been in a slump of sorts and maintaining more than losing for August and part of July....My August challange ends and likely the Sept. challange will be starting....I am so excited to step on that scale on the 31st to see the results of my hardwork.
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #73  

This is a picture of my kitty Meeko that I talk about...just wanted to share If you click on the picture you can see a bigger picture....and you can tell that she is full of catnip...lol

So, after lunch my housemate Kym and I did some shopping...we had a $25 gift card for a pet store from our land lady and landlord...it was a 'welcome' and 'sorry for the mess' present. When we moved into the house...it was a disaster! There were three college guys living here before, and even though the landlord and landlady cleaned and scrubbed for a solid three days befre we got there...we still have a good 3 days on our own. I let them know that I wasn't happy about this (they told us they would get the carpets professionally clean and the house would be ready to be moved into...).

Well, anyway...with the giftcard I got my kitty Meeko got a cute orange colar and a new toy.

Kappy, those extra pounds will just roll off faster than what you put on. It would be more difficult if you waited like a year to get back on track. That sucks about your trainer...he sounds pretty uncommited. I like a routine...and I end up changing it every couple of weeks or so a bit. Well, it sounds like you are getting a great start to more weight loss! Keep it up!

Lek, it sounds like you are doing really well! I hope that the 31st weigh in goes great for you!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #74  
It's on like donkey kong!

S/C/G: 199/160/135

Height: about 5'5"

HI...I just recently found this forum and am up for the challenge... can I join?! Is it a group challenge, or we make our own? I've been yo-yo ing upward since college. I weighed myself Sunday and cried. BUT! I lost 3-4 lbs since then and am doing pretty well. I had 2 bulging discs and one broken disc a year ago and that put me out for awhile and I've gained a lot since then. I still have some troubles and the problem is it's aggravated by activity... so, I finally have given in to JUST WALKING (it's better than when I was doing all or none!) I walk at least 1 mile a day...swimming is good, I love swimming laps (even though I'm not so good)... my goal is to start doing Yoga and pilates again (i love yoga...but it's not so good for my back... and pilates are OK, but they are very good for my back!!!)

My September goal is to lose 12.2 lbs and to stick with it! I always start strong and then fizzle after a week... I think this site is good for inspiration and motivation. I also want to start hiking again (without being in pain for a week!)

I, too, am a teacher! I teach Sp. Ed reading and english for 9/10th graders... eventhough you can't tell by my computer-speak.
hope2loseit4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #75  

yeah Hope is also a special ed. teacher! Whoohoo! LOL...I am still looking for a teaching job, but my specialization is for special education. How long have you been teaching? I just graduated this past December. That sucks about your injury....all healed now? It sounds like you are having a great start! 3 pounds is great! One great thing, just like I told Kappy, is 'new weigh' comes off faster than other fat. I am pretty sure anyway...it seems to roll off on me when I slack off for awhile and step it back up. Keep up the good work, and welcome!!!

So, I am happy...my roommate has decided to join the gym too for the classes and pool, and we can get a couple price that is cheaper than singles...whohooo! Steve will be jelous lol. So, it will be even a bit cheaper for me...about $40 compared to $44. Also, i get to do all of the activities and not just pick one (or pay for one and do many).

I just finished the rest of my chinese. I am going to make myself an egg later or eat some nuts...I didn't have much protein.