Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Why are some days harder than others?

I'm a binge eater, at times, it comes down from dad's side of the family I think. Though, maybe it's learned and not inherited? I'm not sure. My dad has the same habits now, though he didn't when I was a kid and living at home. It's just weird, he has some of the same stories as me: going to different drive-throughs so they don't realize he's eaten fast food three times that day, or ordering something at one place and then adding something at another on the way home, or making up 'pretend people' that he orders extra food for.

I do some of that. I also do the 'of course the bag/box/package is a single serving' thing, where I end up eating 4 or more servings at once. Eaten until I felt uncomfortably full and sick. And, well, bad things at times.

But it's funny. Sometimes it's like the cravings to binge eat are maddening, but other days, luckily most days, I'm fine. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it. It's not related to my menstrual cycle. Not related to emotions that I can tell, unless it's any emotions -- stressed, bored, lonely, happy, sad. But sometimes it seems like I have those same emotions, but the urge to binge isn't there at all. I just don't know.

I just wish I could figure out why some days I feel like binging, and not others. Then I could maybe figure out how to stop it.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #2  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I hear ya. I currently am on my montly cycle and its really bad with the cravings, but I do understand when there is no rhyme or reason. I think a lot of mine is due to stress. I think that is where mine first began actually. It all started when my parents got a divorce and where I really wasn't too sad about that, (I knew it was for the best as they fought all the time), it was about my life being totally changed. We moved from the country to town and I had to leave my pets and everything. When your a little kid, that is huge.

So I turned to food, it was always there for me when nobody else was. I am an only child so I spent a lot of time alone, esp. after the divorce. But anyways. Maybe keep a journal and write down everything you eat and what you feel at the time too and any related events that may have "Triggered" it? Just a thought. I think I should do that myself, so I am more aware of what is going into my mouth.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I can relate, too. I don't understand why some days I can eat clean with ease, and other days I can't get my head around why I'm force-feeding myself.
I wonder if "nurturing our inner child" is something we need to address. Because we're like children when we're eating mindlessly. We're not thinking... we're just trying to soothe ... something. Something pretty basic, I'd imagine.
Sorry if I'm not making sense... I just woke up.
But I'm thinking about my 1 year old nephew and my own children when they were small. When they "needed" something, feeding them enormous quantities of food wouldn't soothe them. They'd cry, and they'd need something simple. Maybe they were tired and needed a little nap, maybe they were thirsty (or wet, but hopefully we're all past that stage. heh heh). Or maybe they just wanted some physical contact... a hug.
Maybe it's as simple as "breaking a bad habit". Learning that rewarding ourselves with something other than food is what our head/body is really crying out for. And making that new reward a habit.
So maybe when we're feeling like sitting down and eating some riduculous portion of food, we need to say, "Hey, Rabidstoat. You need something, and it's not food. Give yourself a hug, and go for a walk. Be good to your body, and love who you are."

Big hugs for you and Sassy... And maybe I should give myself one, too.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidstoat View Post
I'm a binge eater, at times, it comes down from dad's side of the family I think. Though, maybe it's learned and not inherited? I'm not sure. My dad has the same habits now, though he didn't when I was a kid and living at home. It's just weird, he has some of the same stories as me: going to different drive-throughs so they don't realize he's eaten fast food three times that day, or ordering something at one place and then adding something at another on the way home, or making up 'pretend people' that he orders extra food for.

I do some of that. I also do the 'of course the bag/box/package is a single serving' thing, where I end up eating 4 or more servings at once. Eaten until I felt uncomfortably full and sick. And, well, bad things at times.

But it's funny. Sometimes it's like the cravings to binge eat are maddening, but other days, luckily most days, I'm fine. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it. It's not related to my menstrual cycle. Not related to emotions that I can tell, unless it's any emotions -- stressed, bored, lonely, happy, sad. But sometimes it seems like I have those same emotions, but the urge to binge isn't there at all. I just don't know.

I just wish I could figure out why some days I feel like binging, and not others. Then I could maybe figure out how to stop it.
Hi Rabid!

I definitely can relate to your post! I am a very analytical person (virgo-haha). I've been journaling my food intake, times, and emotions, etc for over 6 months in the hopes of detecting patterns or causes of my bingeing (triggers). Boredom, stress and habit can trigger me at times...increasing the urge to binge. However, most of the time, my urges to binge were NOT related to emotional issues or boredom. I discovered that the actual food that I consumed played a major role in triggering binges.

Certain foods, mainly high carb foods such as refined sugars, flour, wheat, make me even MORE hungry after consuming them. I have a tough time stopping at "normal people portions". That is my first clue. Then, about 1-2 hours later I am WILDLY hungry, my binge beast is frantic. I become almost obsessed with cravings and the urge to eat, even if I have a stuffed stomach. That is a DISGUSTING feeling...to be so full that your stomach HURTS and to still feel SOOOOOO hungry! So, to me, sugars are poison.

If I consume protein I do not experience this post-meal extreme hunger. Usually within 4 hours I start to feel a bit hungry. If I consume fats in addition to my protein (healthy fats like olive oil, salmon, etc.) I literally FORGET to eat. OMG!!!!!!! Fats fill me up and shut up my binge beast!

This is just my personal experience with binge triggers. It is why atkins' diet is working very well for me. Everyone is different. Some people may have strictly psychological/emotional binge triggers...but that is not my case. Mine is mostly food related.

What I suggest to anyone who really wants to determine their binge triggers is to do a daily JOURNAL of all food intake, times, level of hunger,and emotions/stresses, etc. It can provide amazing insight! Also, if you suspect food triggers, try to avoid those foods for a few days and see if your urges are diminished.

Good luck in your quest to understand and KILL your binge beast!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #5  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Ellis!

I think you hit the "nail on the head" in your post about the inner child and soothing. I think that is still how I soothe myself and I need a different way. Like a bubble bath or cuddling up with a good book or watching a movie.

Elizabeth that is true I think that sugars and carbs make me more hungry too. Its like what they call "empty calories"???? When I eat protein or veggies I feel fuller longer than when I eat the other stuff.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote