Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #1  
centrestage

S/C/G: 72/72/60

Height: 5 ft

Question prescription weight loss medications. should I or should I not?

Hi guys, I'm new, but I've been stalking this forum for quite a while

Need some advice here. I'm so tired of my weight fluctuating.
I'm 21. 4 feet 11 and a half ( at my height, even 1/2 makes a difference ) and I've had weight issues all my life.
I have binge eating and have put on 40 additional pounds in the last 2 years.( well..having lost 30 in 3 months prior to that)
I'm on meds for depression thought I suspect that I may have bipolar ( considering that's what my school lecture said was the major use for my meds combination).

I'm very tired of this horrible cycle of hating myself, promising to eat healthy...acheiving it for a few days and feeling good for it...only to binge the next day and hating myself all over again.

It's been 10 years. throughout that, I've always resolved to lose weight the 'healthy' way....excessive exercise and crazy 'healthy' food plans. However, it hasn't worked.

So, I'm tempted this time to get reductil from my doc. Should I? I;ve read that it really gives results.............
centrestage88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Welcome to the CIC forum!!! Make yourself right at home, post often and uninhibitedly.

Now, as far as prescription weight loss drugs, I'm sorry to say I'm unable to offer you any subjective advice. BUT, because of your age, I believe you can do it without the aid of any drugs. I'm doing it, albeit it's much harder when we are suffering from an eating disorder on top on trying to lose weight, but it isn't impossible. And the drugs may help you lose weight, but they won't teach you healthy eating and the importance of exercise in weight loss, which you may already know, but sometimes a pill can blur the knowledge.

And you mentioned you tried "excessive exercise and crazy 'healthy' food plans. That's not the way to do it. You've got to establish a healthy relationship with food and one way to start is regular healthy and consistent, but not excessive exercise.

I never thought about getting on a rx drug, although I would have never had the opportunity anyway. I just decided to tackle it on my own, the weight loss part of it anyway. I'll need professional help to work through my eating disorder. But there are quite of few of us who are successfully losing weight without a pill.

Did your doctor recommend to put you on this or did you ask? I thought they only reserved diet pills for obese patients or those with metabolic disorders.

Much luck and strength, whatever you decide to do
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:18 AM   #3  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

First: WELCOME!

Well, I just wanted to give my humble opinion about the diet pill question...I wouldnīt take them. Maybe itīs different for me (because I have several other addictions), but I know for me that it wouldnīt be heplful.
The main reason why I wouldnīt take them is my history of "just taking something" or going for the quick fix. When I feel bad, I take food to make me feel better (ok, that doesnīt work so well)...I used to use alcohol to feel better...other pills....
For my recovery it is important to learn that some things and changes take time. And that I have to stand some things...

I have no clue about these pills (but there may be someone here who does...), but I would say that they are not going to help in the main issues with binge eating. You have quick weight loss, but you donīt learn how to eat right. You donīt find the healthy "middle way" between the extremes of overeating and starving with these pills.

But I have to state again that I donīt have experiences with these pills and each person may see it differently. And behave differently while taking these pills. So itīs just my opinion.

Hope to hear more from you ,

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #4  
centrestage

S/C/G: 72/72/60

Height: 5 ft

hi
thanks so much for your quick replies.

You guys are right. quick-fix solutions are not solutions...just temporary answers. Once I stop the pills, the weight will probably pile back on...... but as you know.....anything that makes losing weight MUCH easier and faster...even if it is just for a short time...is so tempting. I just want to be able to wear clothes that my friends are wearing. I just want to feel pretty. Even if it is just lasts for a while.

But, I won't. My logical and 'health is more important' brain, and your advice reinforces the truth about the diet drugs not actually fixing the problem. It's just stalling it.

Sometimes I just laugh at the absurdity of the things that I do. I detest being fat so much, to the point that I Hate myself...but yet I continue doing the one thing that will accelerate my fatness. Binge eating gives me headaches, hurts my tummy and makes me lethargic, but still I go back to it.

so much for priding oneself as being logical and rational yup?

I'm off to the doctor's tomorrow to get my prescription meds. PS: it's pretty easy to get them from some doctors...they will give it to you even if you are not obese. and YES, I'll refrain myself from getting the pills.

guys
centrestage88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Centrestage!
I guess I can see both sides of the coin. I probably wouldn't take the meds, but I can understand your grasping at straws. I suffer from severe depression, and am medicated for it. It's hard being depressed (despite some reprieve thanks to the meds) AND struggling to lose weight.
I'd discuss it in depth with your doctor... and maybe get a second opinion. Only you know what's right for you.
Hang in there, and keep us posted.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Ha! We posted at the same time!
Good luck at the doctor's tomorrow... thinking of you, hon.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote