Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #16  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochemist
What opened my heart was the "AA Big Book Chapter to the Agnostic" where I was free to make the Power greater than myself of my understanding. What did I have to lose, my own thinking had gotten me nowhere. More than that I really could evaluate my past experiences with spirituality and religion to what I needed. In program the saying "Take what you need and leave the rest" was a very freeing concept for me.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #17  

Quote:
I got a new piece of OA literature last night, a book called Abstinence. You know it just is too simple Refrain from compulsive overeating, now writing it and doing the footwork are 2 different things, but this book makes the idea of a lifetime abstinence seem more real to me than it did before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabecca
The Abstinence book is one of the first pieces of literature I bought from the OA website. It is good, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSLP
Isn't Abstinence a great book? The Wednesday f2f morning meetings that I sometimes go to read from that (and the OA book).
Old 05-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #18  

Quote:
I will recommend a book (not an OA authorized read) The First Bite by Kay Shephard. This is a guide to complete recovery from food addiction.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops
my friend suggested a book called "there's more to life than this" by jeanette wright that talks about behaviors that take away our energy, this fascination with food planning is really common and is also in the book. i just ordered it, hopefully it will help me. it's on amazon.com - there are a lot of positive reviews about the book on amazon if u are curious.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Baily
I was told once by a woman, she wrote a book that you can get online, it is a very short book called "count it as a vegetable and move on" It is all about the guilt that is linked to binge eating or eating off plan. She suffers from this so her approach is very realistic.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin + Share it
One book that has really helped me is " the Quest for Peace,Love and a 24" Waist" by Deborah Low. She is a lady that has been there. She has several simple exercises that make you think about the behavoir behind the food issues.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidiet
I am a self-diagnosed binge/compulsive eater. I have had a eating disorder since I was a child. No one ever called it that; so it was labeled a "willpower" issue. I started hating myself, everyday berating myself for being weak-willed, for failing another diet.

Then, in May 2002, I picked up some diet books from the library. I had got up to a whopping 250 pounds (I am only 5' 2") and I was very depressed. One of the books was "Losing It" by Laura Fraser. She opened my eyes. This was no "diet" book. Laura Fraser is a journalist that did an expose on the diet industry and society's role in women's self image. I couldn't believe what I was reading, she started right out by saying that diets do not work, if anything, they are the root cause to all eating disorders, not the solution.

I did some additional reading into this "anti-diet" thinking, and it has changed my life. I have been working to give myself permission to have what I want to eat, when I want, and to stop when I am full (with the approval to eat more if I am hungry later). It is like I had to tell myself the obvious; the stuff that thin people take for granted. I am re-discovering my relationship with food. I still have a lot of work to do, but the obssessions and cravings are SO much better.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie68
I learned about a book called, "When You Eat at The Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair" by Geneen Roth. I am by no means recovered, but I am on my way to discovering ME and that is the real battle inside anyone with an eating disorder. Please check out the book online or at your local bookstore
Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundwoman
There is also an excellent book called: "Self Esteem Comes in All Sizes"
by Carol A Johnson

The book is written very intelligently and is about how we can feel good no matter what we look like. We can choose to lose weight or not. We can do it for our health issues and for reasons of health more than anything. It helps us to focus on what's the most important things. There are also people overweight who choose to be larger and are healthy and strong through exercise according to the book. There's much more but it is a fantastic book written by a woman who overcame much.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom&Light
I had an "A-HA" moment! I was reading When Food is Love by Geneen Roth (I know, y'all are all surprised ), and she tells the story about this little 8 year old girl whose mother put her on a diet. The girl (we'll call her Sally)gained 14 pounds on this diet. Sally's mother was distraught and went to see a therapist. The therapist asks the mom what Sally's favorite food is. Mom answers "M&Ms." The therapist tells Sally's mom to go and buy enough M&Ms to fill up a pillowcase and give it to Sally. When Sally eats them all, mom is to fill them up.

Sally is shocked by the pillowcase and takes it everywhere with her. For eight days, Sally carried around the pillowcase, eating M&Ms. Sally's mom was totally ticked off, wondering how this was supposed to help her kiddo. She calls the therapist, livid.

The therapist tells her that when Sally believes- truly believes- that she can eat whatever she wanted and her mom wasn't going to take away her M&Ms, she would slowly "relax and begin eating from stomach hunger."

And she did. Sally ended up losing six pounds.

I love this story, because I've been doing this to myself! I've been telling myself that white bread is bad, peanut butter is bad, vanilla coke is bad, cereal is bad....all of these things that I really like. So, by these restrictions, I have been creating my own desire to binge.

I went shopping the other day. I bought all of the things I listed above. I'm still "carrying around my pillowcase," but I'm beginning to realize that I don't need that second bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch because I'm just not that hungry.
I love this book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShihtzuX2
Freedom and Light: I've been reading the same Geneen Roth book and I think it's great. I've read her books before but my head is in a place right now where I understood it differently or something. I'm still a little nervous about stocking my kitchen (Binge Monster's been too "hungry" lately).

And now the big news: Well, I've registered for one of Geneen Roth's workshops in September! I'm really excited. The title of it has something to do with "the search for true nourishment" -- as opposed to the searching I keep doing in boxes, wrappers and bags.

It'll be a weekend workshop at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, at this fabulous looking resort. I'm taking a week's vacation and I'm hoping the DH will come with me as a 6-year-anniversary getaway.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #26  
Steph

Talking

Sorry, I'm a traditionalist. I'm a BIG fan of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (just change the words alcoholic and alcohol to compulsive overeater and food) as well as the 12 & 12 of AA (personally I feel the OA version is too wordy but has many good aspects to it).
I also really enjoy the daily meditation books For Today and Voices of Recovery. Both OA approved literature. I also just recently got a copy of the Bible called The Recovery Life Bible which details the 12 Steps in it, really good! Helped me out a lot when I got into a spiritual slump. It also has a really extensive index where you can look up character defects (such as ego or pride) and it will give you relevant passages.
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #27  

Don't be sorry, Stephanie! Thanks for adding to the list!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Life is Hard, Food is Easy by Linda Spangle
The book talks about recognizing your emotions and what emotions trigger what types of cravings, how to overcome the cravings and deal with the real issue at hand.

Quote from the book:

"Food is Wonderful! In fact, food is my best friend, but lately I'm aware that my friend is hurting me, making me uncomfortable, sabotaging my goals, causing me grief and guilt, possibly destroying my life. Today I made a decision-it's time to get a new friend."

-Linda Spangle

I started reading this book before and did not finish it because I was not ready to accept what it was saying. I did not believe that I had a problem with emotional eating...."I just like food" I told myself. I have since realized that I do, indeed, have a problem with compulsive eating and I have started the book again and in a better frame of mind and no longer in denial. I believe that it is going to help me.

I hope it's okay for me to put the link to the book at amazon.com because it has the full editorial review and also a bunch of customer reviews as well. It has 15 customer reviews and all gave it 5 stars.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 PM   #29  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Im currently reading a book called "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. It is such a great book, it is about a girl who has a troubled childhood and resorts to food and by the end of high school is 257lbs, it is just an awesome book and I can really relate to her, I would recommend everyone read it, even if they have never had a weight problem.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #30  

Hey all,

I just wanted to add a book I just started reading. It's called "From the First Bite: A complete Guide to Recovery from Food Addiction" by Kay Sheppard. I've been calling myself a Food Addict and a compulsive overeater for years, but this book just nailed it for me when it explained how food addiction is actually an attempt to rectify distressed brain chemistry. I think before reading this I still had this notion that I just really loved certain foods, and I just needed to be more disciplined. I still know it's going to be a challenge, but I think it's always good to clearly identify the enemy or the challenge one is facing.
FlannelAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote