Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #1  
Searching

Angry Weekend Thread: Jan 10 and 11th Sleepy Sat and Sunny Sunday

Good Morning

So what does everyone have planned for this weekend? I have a meeting this morning and Yoga. Other than that my plan is to cuddle with my husband today. I find that a Saturday morning meeting is just what I need to keep the urge to binge at bay.

I feel lik there is not much going on so I won't sit and blather. Here is a verse to think about;

Job said," I have treasured the words of mouth more than my daily bread."- Job 23:12

Maybe Job knew that speaking with a HP and others cuts the isolation and at that point the bread didn't matter

Oh and I do have to kill a small child this morning. I recieved an e-mail from his literature teacher that he is failing. How is that even possible? He reads all the time. OMG I am turning into my mother. They told her I couldn't read, and so she asked them what I was doing with all those books in my room. Could he be me? Not wanting the pressure to live up to some standard? If I couldn't do it perfectly I shut down. I must make him understand these are just measures of progress and do not validate him as a person.

Wow that feels right! Thank ya'll for listening.
Much love,
Miss Chris
Old 01-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #2  

Default Hi all!

Mornin', Miss Chris! Sorry about your son. It is frightening when you realize you've turned into your mother AND you're raising yourself, isn't it? I have those realizations almost daily now. My oldest daughter is nearly ten going on 24 and is coming dangerously (for me!) close to starting her period, I believe. So the hormones and mood swings are in full force! Aargh! The little one...oh my goodness! What an odd mixture of sweetness and terrorist she is!

So...today's plans. I've already cleaned the house and done some laundry. We're all going to take the big girl to basketball practice and then do some grocery shopping at Super Wal-Mart. Then I'm going to get some things cooked and frozen for fast meals. I start my master's classes next week and I want to get things organized around here for DH. I love him, but he's pretty clueless about running a household!

I've emailed my potential sponsors this morning to help me decide who would be best for me. This is so exciting! I'm praying for clarity in choosing the right person; I'd appreciate any prayers you could offer up in this respect on my behalf!

All you other wonderful ladies...have a fantastic day! I'm sure I'll check back in briefly (ha ha) later.

Love,
Christy

P.S. Yesterday was a perfectly beautiful abstinent day for me! Thank God!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #3  

Default Good morning!

Welcome, Sandi!

Chris: I was doing poorly in 8th grade. My mom had a teacher conference, where the English teacher told her I could not write. My mom called her out and informed her that I had been writing stories since I was young and was an excellent writer, so this lady didn't know her kid too well. Of course, the rest of the stuff was true about me (I wasn't trying too hard in school, then).

Christy: What an exciting time! I am glad the list came through for you. Like Chris said, just email chat with them and see who clicks. Even after you choose, the others can remain as email support buddies.

So yesterday was a bit of a stressful day. DH and I live in an apartment, on the second floor. We have been here over a year and, overall, it's been a nice, quiet place to live. Just the way we like it. The past few weeks, the lower tenants have been blasting their music and it's been booming through our floor. So we have saught out help from our landlady.

Yesterday, the boyfriend of the tenant (he doesn't even live here) came to my door, pounded on the door, and b*tched at me that we should just deal with it. Now, this is more than the usual buzz of music that you may here from a neighbor. It's louder than our TV. Luckily, my landlady came up behind him and told him to stop. She's on our side. But it definitely shook me up. We live in a nice apartment and pay a good amount of rent to live here.

DH was out getting dinner and I called him - he ended up calling our landlady and said a few things (he was livid). She came back up to see me and guaranteed me that this would be taken care of - that she did not want to lose us as tenants.

So, all in our favor but still an annoying mess. Plus I hope this boyfriend doesn't continue to bother us.

BUT, good news is that I did not break my abstinence over it. I ate dinner as planned and hung out with DH.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #4  

Default Meditation

January 10 "Inner Harvest"
Hazelden Meditation Series

Enthusiasm is contagious.

We get a real lift when we're around someone who is positive and
enthusiastic. We seem to share a natural high with one another. If we
gravitate toward people who make a habit of keeping their spirits up, we
will "catch" their enthusiasm and be able to pass it along to those with
whom we come in contact.

And we will undoubtedly pick up pointers on how to generate our own
enthusiasm, starting with maintaining a healthy body. Abstinence generates
enthusiasm. So do the Twelve Steps. Being released from the food and diet
obsession goes a long way toward raising our spirits. So does getting rid of
excess emotional baggage from the past, in the form of unnecessary guilt,
fear, anger, and resentment.

The acceptance we receive from our friends in the program and from a Higher
Power helps us feel confident and good about ourselves. With increased
self-esteem comes increased enthusiasm, which spills over into all our
activities and relationships.

I will try hard to be around enthusiastic people today and pass their
enthusiasm along.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Chris - Feeling your child frustration over here! I don't know if it's a perfectionist thing or not...I know one of the reasons my son brought home a 46 in English is because he didn't turn in a short story he was supposed to do. His excuse? "I couldn't think of anything to write about." HELLO?! YOUR MOM IS AN ENGLISH TEACHER! It's frustrating to know that he won't ask me for help. I think it's also some disappointment on my part...we have done a few college visits and he LOVED Georgia Tech. He's got the SAT/ACT scores to get in, but this 46 has pretty much ruined his chances. I feel so badly for him. I just remember my mom REFUSING to help me AT ALL with colleges - she said "if you really want to go, you'll do it" - and there was just so much information and fear that I shut down. I don't want to hold his hand too much, but I don't want to leave it all up to him, either. He is, after all, only 16. Sure, I thought I knew everything at 16, but I know now that I didn't. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the experience of years to know that he doesn't know everything yet.

Kat - Sorry about your neighbor situation. Many years ago, our downstairs neighbor's boyfriend was physically and emotionally abusive to her daughters. The older one was close to our other neighbor, and she (the daughter) started trying to give our other neighbor some prized possessions. I thought she was going to commit suicide, so I called her school counselor. Her school counselor called the authorities, and the bad neighbor was visited by Social Services. Bad neighbor's boyfriend thought it was the other neighbor who called and tried to poison their dog. I guess everyone has their bad neighbor story...I'm sure yours will work out in the end. (Don't forget to ask your HP for help!)

Elizabecca - My daughter was just shy of her 11th birthday when she started, so you're probably right. My mom used to tell me all the time that she hoped I had ten just like me...it came true!

Today's plans...finish posting on 3FC, take a shower, do some prep for next week, grade papers, go to the bank and deposit my travel reimbursement check that I FINALLY got from my trip at the beginning of December, maybe watch a little football.

Jennelle
Old 01-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Good morning, girls!

Chris, my DD (grade 9) is failing Math and is barely passing science. This is our former "straight A" child. I'm resigned to the fact that she quite possibly will be going to summer school this year. As long as her mental health is alright... that's our MAIN concern! Her marks really plunged after her suicide attempt, and it's taking a long time to get back on track. God, it's hard having kids.
Your DS will be alright. You're a good mommy.

Christy, good idea re: the meals... I think I'll do that this weekend, too.

Kat, I'm sorry you've been having "tenant" problems. We have an apartment for rent in our big old house, and we're looking for perfect tenants like you. Come on up.

DH and I are working on the apartment this weekend. One of his co-workers may rent it from us, which would be PERFECT! It's almost finished... just a few more touch-ups. I occasionally regret taking on this project, but the house is far too big for us to live in the whole thing, and the fact that there was already an extra apartment is a big bonus for us.

Still REALLY cold here in Ottawa... take care, all!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #7  
Searching

Talking Good Afternoon!

Hey ya'll

Well I strayed from my food plan a little today and I can add it to my list of warning signs. I got too hungry. So instead of just having my salad with chilli for lunch I also had half of a hamburger (no bun, can't handle the white flour deal). I didn't break my abstinence or binge , but I will have to tell my FP sponsor. I hate deviations

Anyway thanks for all the support with my son. He wanted to argue with me about whether or not we could look up his book list online. I paid attention during parent-teacher conference Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone is on the list for 12 pts. He read the book, listened to it on tape, and also saw the movie, if he can't pass that quiz, I don't know what to do with him. I also told him to seriously consider spending next year in 7th grade, things don't get more fun the 2nd time.

Ellis-I remeber you going through the rough time with your DD I agree her mental health is more important than anything. I would come up and take your apartment, but us Yanks aren't allowed in Canada

Jenelle-Sounds like you got a nice busy day ahead with a relaxing end. Treat yourself good girl you deserve it.

Kat- Thanks for sharing the meditation. I am sorry your neighbors are being such a pain. I have had alot of neighbors and they are usually something The worst was not taking the word of warning about the apartment company in my last place from the crazy druggie across the hall. Why would I listen to her? Because in the end she was right.

Christy-Many prayers sent your way that the proper sponsor FOR YOU is found, and don't forget if they don't work out, you can fire them and get a new one.

Have a lovely afternoon!
Miss Chris
Old 01-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #8  
Searching

Posted a Poll on the OA Forum. If anyone has opinions I would sure appreciate the feedback.

Miss Chris
Old 01-10-2004, 05:19 PM   #9  

Good afternoon!

Ugh...bad neighbor stories! Kat, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I can imagine you would have been very scared. I'm glad your DH called the landlady and gave her what for.

My worst neighbor story is the guy who lived upstairs from us when we first got married. He was in his late 40's-early 50's and went out clubbing every weekend, bringing home a different *noisy* gal each night. Yikes, I was a newlywed and he was having more sex than me! Shudder...the things we had to listen to...

Ellis -- I'm sorry your DD is struggling with school, but you're right to put her mental state first. I had no idea you had gone though a suicide attempt with her. ((((Hugs)))) I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been for you all!

I don't envy you that house restoration! My DH quit his office job back in July to go into that type of business full time. He's redoing a monster of a house into a bed and breakfast right now. It's going to be gorgeous, but what a lot of work!

Jennelle & Chris -- I don't have any words of wisdom about your boys. I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers your way, though!

Going to get to work on some freezer cooking now. Talk to you gals later!

Christy
Old 01-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Christy, I'm sorry, but I'm sitting here laughing at your "neighbour story".
I need a laugh... our furnace just broke down! I'm on the phone right now waiting for an appointment with the repair woman. They're really backed up right now ... we may have to wait a couple of days. crap. Any prayers for a quick healing would be graciously accepted. It's already FREEZING in here!

Chris and Christy, thank you for your support re: our daughter. Yes, it's been a little ****.

If I'm not back for a couple of days you'll know why. Love and hugs to all...
Old 01-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #11  

Default A quick hello...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hi again. My downstairs neighbor is playing music loudly again but they must have turned down the bass because it is SO much better. Still can hear it but at least it's not booming through my floor anymore. Hopefully it won't be a further issue.

I'm going out with DH and another couple tonight. Not exactly sure what we are doing.

Ellis - sorry about your furnace!

Have a good night!
Old 01-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #12  
Searching

Default I sleep in till almost 10 am and I am the first to post LOL!

Good Morning Everyone!

Trying to find my centeredness and willingness today. My food plan yesterday got tossed to the wayside. No I didn't binge or eat sugar. I think I was probably vulnerable to that stuff but I made a suprise phone call last night. So there it is the tools work Explaining to my food plan sponsor why I strayed yesterday is another thing, but at least I have no guilt this morning about what I did eat. That my gf's is awesome for me.

Okay we have had a few people vote in the OA thread poll. I love it that the Step discussion is in the lead! Jenelle has also volunteered this morning to write about the commonalities between the ED. If you gals have any ideas for the forum let me know. This place is for all of us, if you guys read my knew introduction I made it alot less me centered and more WE centered. This forum is nothing without you

Ellis-Here are some prayers for your furnace I will miss you hun.

Christy- Neighbor was a player huh I always feel grateful I have been on the top floor of all my apartment buildings with a fire wall I am not into the whole audioerotic thing

Kat- How was your evening out?

for everyone!
Have a great Sunday!
Miss Chris
Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #13  

Default Morning

Chris - Food plan changes happen! Good for you for not beating yourself up for it (that's one of my things - never cutting myself some slack - at least before program).

My night out was fun. We went out to Chinese with another couple and then watched some Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (I had never seen it and our friend had it on TIVO). What a fun show.

Today we are hanging out with friends in the evening. But this morning I am going out for a run and doing a Firm workout (I have made Sundays my long workout day). And I need to food shop. I always do much better with healthy food choices when I have them prepared in the fridge.

I will post another meditation that I received.

Have a great day!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #14  

January 11 "Inner Harvest"
Hazelden Meditation Series

Impressive results come from small beginnings.

Do you remember your first abstinent day? You made a start on a new life.
You probably worried that you might not be able to have another day of
abstinence, but, with luck, someone reminded you to be concerned only with
one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.

We are free to section our days and our accomplishments into small,
manageable units. Books are written word by word and read sentence by
sentence. Mountains are climbed step by step. A smile and a handshake can be
the beginning of a lifelong friendship, and a casual conversation can launch
a career.

Day by day, we build our recovery. We build it with the decisions we make,
the people with whom we associate, the food we buy and prepare. We build it
with the books we read, the way we spend our time, the care we give our
body, the commitment we make to a Higher Power.

The beginning we make today is never insignificant or unimportant; it is the
foundation of our future.

My new life continues to evolve, one day at a time.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #15  

Hello from here!

It's been a busy day already! Woke up to get ready for church and the power went out. So they cancelled church and 15 minutes later, the power came back on!

Anyway, I've been in the kitchen all morning cooking food for the freezer and for Bible study at our house tomorrow night. I have tasted several dishes to check seasoning, but it has been TASTING. Not eating entire helpings out of pots as I am used to. I feel really good about that. I even included the tastes in my food plan for the day.

Chris -- I'm glad you feel no guilt about straying from your plan yesterday. A BIG great job for not letting it lead you into a binge. That's growth there, girlfriend!

Kat -- I'm really enjoying the meditations you've been posting. Are those in a book or are they emailed to you each day? Glad you had fun out with your hubby last night. It's been so long since it was just me and DH that I forget what that was like! LOL

Okay, all you good little exercise girls need to send me some "get off your butt" vibes. I was doing well with it last week, but this week I used going back to work and being tired as an excuse not to do it. It isn't that I don't enjoy it and I KNOW it makes me feel so much better in so many ways, I just haven't done it. And it's not that I am lazy; I'm always doing something around the house...it just isn't exercising! LOL Motivate me! Threaten me!

Back later,
Christy

Last edited by elizabecca; 01-11-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Closed Thread