Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:02 AM   #31  

Height: 5'-2"

Lo, you're doing so well, hon! You're inspiration for the rest of us.
I'm definitely going back to the Y this fall.
Yes, Weight Watchers is a good program. I've had good success on it in the past. I like that you can eat anything you want (within your points limit, of course).

Kat, one of my "old favourites"!! I'm so glad you're here, hon. Going to respond to your other post...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #32  

I answered yes to a lot of those quetions and I am a compulsive eater...but i dont know if I want to join a group....not sure it will help me.
FatandFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #33  
Pending Email Confirmation

I know I am.... not proud of it though!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #34  
Doing what it takes!

I also answered "yes" to many of the questions. I used to do lots of drinking and drugs in addition to my overeating. I quit the drinking and the drugs quite easily but, stopping the overeating is extremely hard for me.
About me: I live alone, no kids, no family and only have 1 friend (but, I have 7 cats-LOL!). Alone with the fridge but, stocked with healthy options. I have been doing WW for 4 years. I was laid off for 15 months (quit WW in that time, now back at WW for the last 22 weeks) and gained all but 15 lbs. back. I'm now working again with a very physical job 12 hours, 3-4 nights a week. I've lost the last 22 lbs. in the last 13 weeks since I started my new job. I only make half as much as the last job and it is tough trying to budget healthy food (more expensive). I'd love to keep going to WW and start going to the Y but, not sure if I can swing it financially. That depresses me and makes me want to head to the fridge.....sometimes, I just look and shut the door and come back here to the computer.
RocksAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #35  

Default Newbie Here

Good afternoon. I am new to this website and I have been struggling with overeating at night. I am single, live alone (I do have a kitty), and it is so hard for me to stay out of the kitchen after dinner. I eat a nice healthy dinner but for some reason I can't stop making 4-5 trips to the kitchen to snack on various things. It could be sugar free jello, P.B on a pita, fruit, f.f cottage cheese. It's not really junk food that I'm eating but the point is I don't have a reason to eat all that stuff. I work out 5 days a week, eat very healthy during the day but I have gained about 20lbs over the last yr. I am frustrated and dissapointed in myself that I can't stop this cycle of eating at night. I don't know if there are any OA meetings in my area but I think it would be good if I looked into it. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Thanks!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #36  
a work in progress...

Hi, yogachick! Sounds like you're doing all the right things, great job on the exercise, especially! Sometimes I find that when I eat a "healthy meal," I'm actually not eating enough...which may be why I get hungry later...maybe you need to add more to your meal...a salad or another vegetable...and a big glass or two of water! I will also eat out of boredom too though, so finding something to do after dinner that will occupy your hands in very important! Knitting, crocheting, needlework, scapbooking....anything that you don't want to get your hands 'dirty' for!

At the OA website, there's a meeting finder....just type in your zip code and they will tell you where the nearest meetings are.

Good luck to you!

PS...I juat had to laugh at myself...I give great advice...just have to start following it too!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogachick30
Good afternoon. I am new to this website and I have been struggling with overeating at night. I am single, live alone (I do have a kitty), and it is so hard for me to stay out of the kitchen after dinner. I eat a nice healthy dinner but for some reason I can't stop making 4-5 trips to the kitchen to snack on various things. It could be sugar free jello, P.B on a pita, fruit, f.f cottage cheese. It's not really junk food that I'm eating but the point is I don't have a reason to eat all that stuff. I work out 5 days a week, eat very healthy during the day but I have gained about 20lbs over the last yr. I am frustrated and dissapointed in myself that I can't stop this cycle of eating at night. I don't know if there are any OA meetings in my area but I think it would be good if I looked into it. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Thanks!
I have the same problem: eating after supper. I too, tend to binge on healthy foods cuz that's what I have in my kitchen. But I have two guy roommates. When they are gone, that's when I tend to eat a lot. I am almost afraid to live by myself for that reason. It is very frustrating. I found that eating a late dinner (around 7 or 8) helps. Then brushing my teeth right after I eat.
I am a lifetime WW member and I still have these problems. Hopefully some point in my life, I will permanently change my ways, but that probably won't happen!
mswirtz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 230/210/170

Height: 5'8

Hello Everyone!

I've been 'looking' at the website for a few days now and just reading, reading, reading. I hope to find support in this Forum, a place to vent and listen to others vent...
I'm 27 and 230Ibs - wow, it's hard to see the number written down. It's a different thing to think it, when you write it down it bacomes a sad reality. I've been having eating problems since I was 12 - this is the heviest I've ever been. Went through not eating, binging, addiction to Laxatives and diet pills. Lost 50 Ibs on ephedra 2 years ago but now gained it all back and some. I tried OA meetings but couldn't really commit, didn't even get a sponsor. The idea of talking about my eating to someone I don't know seems funny and unrealistic...but then I never gave it a chance.
I know I have to change my lifestyle and not only lose weight. Right now I'm taking phentermine, but don't really see any results (after 10 days) This is not a healthy way of doing it. I'm an overeater and no pill will help me! Oh, I'm just so tired and frustrated.

Anyway, I'd be happy to join you guys if you don't mind. Thanks!
magdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #39  

Welcome, mswirtz79 and Maqdie!

Please join us in the monthly chat and other threads... it's great to have you here!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #40  

Default I Can Relate

Hi Everyone!
I'm 30, single and also live alone (2 cats). I've gradually gained weight over the years, blaming it mostly on work stress and a busy schedule. I've recently made some positive changes and am having success. I am seeing a nutrition therapist who has helped me get a grip on my emotional eating. I also keep a food diary and keep track of my calorie intake each day (rough estimate). I've been doing this for a few months - and this is the first time in my life I've been able to keep a diary for this long and stay truly conscious and accountable for what I put into my body each day. As part of this process I've had to become brutally honest with myself, and face some not so pleasant things - things I used to use food to help cover up. For example, I get lonely at night. I never wanted to be one of those girls who complained about not having a boyfriend - I've always been Miss Independent. But I've spent a lot of time denying some of the lonliness and feeling the urge to eat so I don't have to deal with feeling alone. This is just one of the examples of some of the things I've had to confront in making the effort to no longer use food as a means of dealing with or in most cases forgetting about my emotions.

I'd love to be able to talk to others in similar situations, as this is a continually evolving process and one in which I hope we all can find success.

-H
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #41  

Hibiscus, welcome!
Wow... you seem to have an incredible amount of strength. You've obviously done a lot of "soul-searching", and you sound very wise for your age.

It's difficult to really look within ourselves for the reasoning behind our overeating.
Eating is such an easy reward for failing. At least that's the way I feel.
I had a few "stresses" over the weekend, and was able to resolve them yesterday morning. I felt great all day, and exercised and ate well as a result. But I knew that if I HADN'T been able to resolve those issues, I would have spent the day in bed with a book and a bag of chips.

I hope you'll join us on the other threads!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 230/210/170

Height: 5'8

Default Welcome Hibiscus

Hi, I admire your ability to keep track of your food intake. I can do it for a week at the most and then it's all over with. I keep a journal as long as I eat well but as soon as slip and start binging I abandon it. When I binge it seems impossible to keep track of everything I consume, and I just don't feel like writing things down when I'm feeling like a huge looser and a total disaster. Did you have similar experiances? How did you overcome them? I've never seen a nutritionist - how do they help? I have a feeling I know everything there is about eating well (just can't do it) and don't think seeing a nutritionist would be beneficial. How does it help?

Thanks!
magdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #43  

Default Keeping Track of Food

I absolutely had a hard time keeping track of food. I could never keep a food log for more than a week and it was never completely accurate. Part of the problem is my all or nothing mentality. In the back of my mind my goal was always to be perfect and I couldn't stand writing down my food intake if it wasn't flawless. I'm not completely over that, but I've learned that to win the long term battle, I have to accept that I am going to be less than perfect and that realistically I need to also accept responsibility for everything that goes into my body. I'd often go on a mini binge, knowing I was consuming too many calories, but just didn't want to think about it - and hence any journaling I did went out the window. But whether I choose to think about the calories or not, they still exist - so whether I write down the four cookies that I ate, or not, I still ate them. There just aren't any short cuts here. The nice part is, I can over indulge, but because I am staying conscious and writing down what I eat, I have a much better chance of attaining balance - meaning I can eat dessert at lunch and compensate with a lighter dinner. This actually provides me with a certain level of comfort. And though I haven't binged in a while, I've eaten more than I've wanted to, but the very next day I estimate what I ate and the amount. I don't beat myself up over it though, like I would have in the past. I write it down, accept responsibility and move on. I also rarely look back at previous days food or calorie counts - maybe just to see trends to help determine which areas I can improve upon (i.e. eating more vegies, more cals at breakfast, etc.). Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #44  

Default Foodaholic

I said yes to all the questions. I think about food all the time. What am i going to. I get excited even happy about eating. I can tell my self that Im not going to over eat or fix my plate and say this is all Im going to eat and that doesnt work. I know that Ive got to eat to lose weight I have know self discispline. There are days that i hate myself. I have no will power I want to lose weight so bad. And I know how. Why cant I do it
wholelotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #45  

First thing you need to do is reduce the importance of food in your life. It's OK to enjoy your favorite foods - but the food itself shouldn't be something you look forward to all the time - food should not be the highlight of your day. Food is a source of energy. That doesn't mean you can't take pleasure in eating, but you need to eat and enjoy your meals, and then stop thinking about food. Life is way too short and way too full of wonderful and exciting things to let food hold any level of great importance. For me, I realized I was letting food be too much of a source of pleasure in my life. It's easy, instant gratification - but I just didn't want to look back on my day and have my meals and treats be the highlight. I needed to put my priorities in check. Now I make sure that I think about my evenings at home after work, not in terms of what I'm going to have for dinner and dessert, but rather what fun thing I'm going to do, and what little things I can enjoy and how I can enrich my life. Food provides momentary pleasure - but it does not ehance my life.

Second, hating yourself won't help you get to your goal. You need to be kind and compassionate toward yourself, and to others. In the weight loss game, attitude is everything. That said, kindness toward yourself will only get you so far. The other part is taking a hard honest look at your current eating habits, activity level, and calorie intake. You have to do this without judgement of any kind. When you beat yourself over eating too much or not sticking to a diet, your natural defense (or at least mine) is to quit, stop the diet and/or not think about (or accept responsibility) for what you're eating. Keeping a food journal is a great way to do this kind of assessment. Then you can begin the process of objectively problem solving. You can look for patterns in your eating, and try different ways to deal with the trouble spots. This site has great advice for almost any eating dilemma. But I can't stress enough the importance of keeping a food diary and assessing your eating without judgement of yourself...if you eat too many calories one day it doesn't make you a bad person, nor does it mean you are a failure. It's important to accept responsibility and make choices for yourself...but know that it isn't going to suddenly happen overnight. It's a permanent change that requires work and will happen over time...just be patient and love yourself no matter what.