Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #1  
Diabetic

S/C/G: 245/245/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Let's make this a Super Power!

Hey there!

I am a binge eater and I just stumbled across a notion that I think is really going to help me. It's part of the Rational Recovery approach to addiction: labeling the addictive "voice" as a Beast or Pig. The Beast whispers in your ear all those self-defeating words that lead to unhealthy eating, like "you can go back on the diet tomorrow" or "you worked really hard this week" or "you always fail anyway" --- I'm sure you have your own little nasty Greek chorus in your head.

The notion is that by labeling that voice not as your own but as the voice of this primitive and very selfish creature, you with your very big mind and control over your limbs and money and time can empower yourself to slap that voice down. It doesn't necessarily make your choice easy, but it's (to me anyway) very clear: who's in charge, me or the Beast?...

... but my voice doesn't sound like a Beast. It's smart and manipulative and persistent and sneaky. I need a better opponent.

And it hit me!

The US is currently pretty polarized politically. Clinton and Trump --- a lot of people really dislike one of them. So what if we harnessed all that energy? First, replay each self-defeating thought in the voice of the politician you strongly oppose -- and then imagine that if you give in to them, they know that they beat you!! Would you ever grant said politician that kind of power over you? Print out some of their worst pictures and stick them on your fridge and pantry; print your shopping list on a sheet with their face. Think how good it will feel every time you say "NO!" to them.

What do you think: can we harness the current weird political energy of our country for a good cause?
Numina Dae is offline   Reply With Quote