Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187.4/187.4/125

Height: 5'1"

Default The Cost Of Food Addiction

Hi Everyone,
I'm reading a book right now on overcoming addiction. Although the book addresses addiction in general, it does refer to food addictions as well.

One of the suggestions that the writer had was to do a financial total of how much your addiction costs you in dollars and cents. I've always known that I pay more in the grocery store during weeks when I have a binge episode because of the junk food I buy but I've been in denial about just how much. So today when I went to the store, I made a list of foods I buy for a typical binge episode and looked up all the prices, then calculated the total.

I calculated that I spend around $32 for a binge episode (and this is outside of what I usually buy at the store for my weekly meals, as my binge episodes are usually spontaneous so I buy healthy food for my planned menu first). Lately, I've been having 2-3 binge episodes a week. That means that I've been spending around $65-$100 extra dollars A WEEK on my addiction.

This was a real eye-opener to me. I am not in the financial position to spend all that extra money. And I'm trying not to think about the fact that if I continue with my binging, my health will deteriorate to more than just obesity into health issues that are related to it and that will mean medical treatment that is going to cost through the roof.

I'm hoping this will spur me forward to continue to try curbing my binge episodes. I was doing great for a while (from February until about April) and then I went on vacation and spent a 3 1/2 weeks with my family. They are emotionally abusive and being with them was like putting me back into the traumatic world of my childhood. It was really rough, much rougher than I thought it would be. I started with my binge episodes again when I came back and haven't been able to get off of them yet. I am getting better slowly, though.

Tam
djunamod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

heya, yes at the moment im on the "cant afford binge food till i pay off my holiday" diet. basically before every impulse food purchase i think of the financial cost/burden that will result. its working. im sticking to budget and eating much less junk.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes I think at one point I was spending $1000 per month on my extra curricular binges. The total only included solo trips to restaurants and fast food places. It did not include grocery shopping for my family. That was a lot of money and a lot of food. A scary amount actually. Thank goodness that is over and long gone!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Oh yes I think at one point I was spending $1000 per month on my extra curricular binges. The total only included solo trips to restaurants and fast food places. It did not include grocery shopping for my family. That was a lot of money and a lot of food. A scary amount actually. Thank goodness that is over and long gone!
OMG! I only make $2,000.00 per month (with a Master's degree). I totally would go broke if I spent $1,000.00 per month on food. My grocery bill is about $25.00 to $35.00 per week. I'm like; H-O-W?
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
OMG! I only make $2,000.00 per month (with a Master's degree). I totally would go broke if I spent $1,000.00 per month on food. My grocery bill is about $25.00 to $35.00 per week. I'm like; H-O-W?
A little judgy judgy aren't we? Well I live in NYC so that should tell you something. Also, I didn't care about money when it came to binges. I'd go to a steak house and order steak and lobster sometimes. Then on the way home I'd buy a whole cake from an expensive bakery. I spared no expense, that's how.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #6  

Height: 6-1.5

Apparently I am not supposed to respond. Whatever.

Last edited by giselley; 08-14-2016 at 12:20 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #7  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

Height: 5'5"

I never thought about it from the perspective of the actual (financial cost) before - but I guess I do notice it. Since I have been changing how I eat and not running out for family size bags of candy, fast food and other crap, I have freed up space to put more veggies in the budget........ hmmmmmmm - that is good food for thought
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
Apparently I am not supposed to respond. Whatever.
Well it was money-judgy. An eating disorder is a real illness. I'm sorry you don't make as much money as I do but on the other hand I'm very glad you don't have to deal with the eating disorder that dictated my life for so many decades.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

What an eye-opener!

When I first read $1000 a month, I thought that was not possible - then, I remembered my bad binges - very similar to yours, Palestina. I, too, would go to an expensive restaurant alone, and eat whatever and have a few glasses of wine. $$$$$$ I would go to a bakery and buy an expensive 10 inch one layer cake - more frosting per piece that way! Then, I would freeze it as I love frozen cake - but, most times it would be finished before it would freeze. I would sometimes buy a cake early in the morning before work just so it would be frozen for a night-time binge! And that was all beyond my normal groceries- during a binge I would usually eat normal"diet" meals consisting of lean meat or fish and fresh vegetables - then binge the rest of the night!

Another thing I would do is go from ice cream place to ice cream place getting a large dish of ice cream - there are times I would spend $30 a night on ice cream, not to mention the gas money as I would not go to the same place twice in the same night!

Oh, I am so, so glad I somehow stopped binging - I can't say there was a magical method- I just got sick and tired of it. Occasionally I will go for two ice creams, but then somehow stop myself. The reason I don't buy cartons of ice cream is because I fear I will eat whatever is in the freezer.

I now buy little bags of pretzels to give out for Halloween - I do not like salty foods so would never be tempted to start on those. When I would buy bags of candy, it was a nightmare.

I finally had to realize that I am going to eat whatever sweet I buy. If I feel the need, I will buy a cupcake, not a large cake.

I realize this is a bit scattered, but as I wrote, I thought of different binge-related things.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #10  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

I'm having less binges lately but the cost is still mind blowing for me. What also illustrates my strange relationship with food is that I think nothing of dropping say 30 bucks on takeout but the same amount on healthy nutritious food seems like a ridiculous extravagance!

I'm getting better though
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #11  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

This thread is pretty germain to the times.
Usa inflation has gone up fast. It takes about $12+
per day of food to live in my corner of the planet.
Even the specials with fast food aren't the bargain they once were.

I've been watching the costs go up all whilst being a foodie addict. When I've been at stores I'm really surprised to see others overweight in stores. As far as eating healthy goes, it seems now the price of junk food(takeout) can be "as much" (even when not in excess quantity), more than healthy food from home. I didn't sit down to calculate any losses, I know mine would be absurd. This is eye opening though! I think for all reasons it's best I chose to drop my excess and nail my addiction to the wall.

Last edited by Desire2b; 09-14-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 AM   #12  

i think "Planning" is key, and so is pre-prep! I used to avoid pre-prepped produced at the grocery store because it costs more. Then I realized the big-picture benefits offset that extra cost. It was a real gamechanger to start thinking like that. break the fast food habit! having a plan of attack, is the most important tip because a little planning ahead is the key to not getting to dinner time and saying “oh no, what are we going to do? McDonald’s it is!”.

Along the lines of keeping the favorites and adding new…I totally do that, and one way I do it is to vary my list of favorites up.
sarah091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/205/120

Height: 5' 2"

Yeah I am an UberEats addict and I can't afford to order multiple times per week. It really adds up...when I give in to my cravings I can't save a dime and my balance remains the same every month. I recently saw a documentary that made me re-think not spending the extra money on organic produce as well, so I'm really in trouble. Basically if I want to afford to buy organic at the grocery store I've got to cut out the UberEats. I would estimate that I spend an extra 400 dollars a month just on UberEats (not including groceries). And I can't seem to get myself to delete the app off the phone. Even if I did I could just reinstall it...
LadyBinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Ouch, UberEats does really add up fast. That's a tough one to let go of.

I wish you well planning your meals to your food plan enough in advance that it's less of a temptation. I know, easier said than done.

Welcome back from your hiatus. Glad you've rejoined us at 3FC.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 216/205/120

Height: 5' 2"

Default quiet forum

Thank you for the welcome back. Unfortunately this forum seems to be pretty quiet, which is a shame because its ads are not too intrusive and I think it's a nice site.
LadyBinger is offline   Reply With Quote